Windows 10: Built-in apps fail to launch

Discus and support Built-in apps fail to launch in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Not sure which forum to post this in -- since it has to do with apps, trying here. I'm at my wits end with my new Windows 10 laptop! The built-in apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DickinSD, Feb 4, 2020.

1. DickinSD Win User

Built-in apps fail to launch

Not sure which forum to post this in -- since it has to do with apps, trying here.
    I'm at my wits end with my new Windows 10 laptop! The built-in apps (e.g., Connect, Feedback Hub, Microsoft Store, Movies & TV) show splash screens and then disappear after a couple seconds. Unfortunately, I can't say whether they've ever worked -- I've never tried to use them before!
    With respect to the Microsoft Store app, I've gone through the wsreset.exe process -- the result is a dialog box titled "MS-Windows-StoreBuilt-in apps fail to launch :purgeCaches" which states: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item." Of course, since Feedback Hub doesn't work either, I can't submit any.
    I'm the sole user -- therefore administrator -- of this laptop. I show as having full control of the entire folder/file structure.
    Looking at that app, I see it says: "Version 120001.1001.5.0, App 0 bytes, Data 0 bytes, Usage 0 bytes"
    Similarly. looking at the Movies & TV app, I see: "Version 10.20011.10711.0, App 0 bytes, Data 16.0 KB, Usage 16.0 KB"
    I tried resetting both of them -- no change in results.
    Ran some of the "Get-AppxPackage..." seen in other posts command in PowerShell (opened as administrator) to reinstall all apps -- no change in results. However, there were numerous failure messages. Most said: "Cannot find path Program Files\WindowsApps\...." -- for good reason: there is no such folder! A few were "Deployment failed with HRESULT..."
    I really Really REALLY don't want to reset the computer -- it's taken quite a while and trouble to get everything up and running smoothly!
    Laptop is Toshiba Tecra A50-EC running W10 Pro v. 1909.
    What else can/should I try?

:)

DickinSD, Feb 4, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

"Built-in administrator" still denied access to many apps and functions

Hi Andy,

• What is the exact error message you are getting when you try to open apps?
    I understand your concern about accessing the operating system. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, I realize this may be frustrating. We are here to help you in resolving the issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted system settings/ system files. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if Built-in Administrator account is enabled. If so, try to disable.

Step 1: Follow the steps toDisable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
        Command Prompt
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
      • net user administrator /active: no (Check for the spaces)
    Restart the computer and check with the status of this issue.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to refer to the below thread replied by
    Marilyn O on November 22, 2012 as this suggestion has helped many others and check if it helps you as well.

App can't open with built in administrator account

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Arul_D, Feb 4, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Windows10 think my local user admin as Built-in Administrator. App can't be openen using the built-in administrator account

Hi Abdullah,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the operating system. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, I realize this may be frustrating. We are here to help you in resolving the issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted system settings/ system files. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if Built-in Administrator account is enabled. If so, try to disable.

Step 1: Follow the steps toDisable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open
        Command Prompt
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
      • net user administrator /active: no (Check for the spaces)
    Restart the computer and check with the status of this issue.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to refer to the below thread replied by
    Marilyn O on November 22, 2012 as this suggestion has helped many others and check if it helps you as well.

App can't open with built in administrator account

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Arul_D, Feb 4, 2020
  4. Built-in apps fail to launch

Get Started app wont launch

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

To assist you better, I would like to ask what is the error message you get when the app is launched.

Suggest you to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” on top left pane.
    • Select “Windows Store Apps” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

Built-in apps fail to launch

1. Built-in apps fail to launch - Similar Threads - Built apps fail

2. app launch fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    app launch fails: My client has developed an app, which is supposed to start from an executable EXE. But the app fails to launch on most Windows 10/11 machines not all. Where can we go to get support on this?...
  3. app launch fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    app launch fails: My client has developed an app, which is supposed to start from an executable EXE. But the app fails to launch on most Windows 10/11 machines not all. Where can we go to get support on this?...
  4. App fails to launch - KernelBase.dll error

App fails to launch - KernelBase.dll error: I installed the new GoPro Player app, and I am getting two different errors. The App trys to launch, I can see it in the Task Manager momentarily, then it shuts down, and throws the following errors in Event Viewer....The First is an application error:- <Event...
  5. App fails to launch - KernelBase.dll error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App fails to launch - KernelBase.dll error: I installed the new GoPro Player app, and I am getting two different errors. The App trys to launch, I can see it in the Task Manager momentarily, then it shuts down, and throws the following errors in Event Viewer....The First is an application error:- <Event...
  6. App fails to launch - KernelBase.dll error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Apps keep failing to launch ... :

Apps keep failing to launch ... :: Just recently, the Apps I have downloaded from the Microsoft Store and the built in apps such as the Photos app keep crashing on launch ... and you have to re-launch them several times to get them up and running. Is there a quick and easy way of fixing this really annoying...
  8. YourPhone App Crashes and fails to launch

YourPhone App Crashes and fails to launch: Faulting application name: YourPhone.exe, version: 1.20032.104.0, time stamp: 0x5e8be270 Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.17134.1098, time stamp: 0x5b0689cd Exception code: 0xc000027b Fault offset: 0x00000000006a5e12 Faulting process ID: 0xba4 Faulting...
  9. All of Microsoft Built-in applications failed to launch

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    All of Microsoft Built-in applications failed to launch: I just updated my windows 10 to the latest and I found out that my microsoft store was failed to launch. I tried to troubleshoot but no result from that. after that I reset the app, and restart my computer but still no luck. After that, I checked the other built in apps like...
  10. Some apps failing to launch

Some apps failing to launch: This is a repeat of an earlier posting which seems to have a solved tick, when it has not been solved. Any suggestions welcome I had an update to windows a few days ago. Now some of the apps are not launching. The following work as normal: Settings, calculator, paint,...