Windows 10: Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response

Discus and support Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ok, so recently I found my Toshiba Satellite laptop keyboard sometimes stops working. Nothing at all. The number lock light stays on if it is on but no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mwake, Aug 22, 2018.

1. mwake Win User

Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response

Ok, so recently I found my Toshiba Satellite laptop keyboard sometimes stops working. Nothing at all. The number lock light stays on if it is on but no response from any of the keys....This happens sometimes at boot but sometimes it happens randomly after a successful boot. It can work for any amount of time and then stop working. On average though it usually happens within two hours though but can go all day before it happens again

I decided to take the nuclear option and reformat because I thought it was a virus.

So, after a reformat everything was good and then it started happening again. I haven't installed any software since reinstallation of windows.

I have another USB wireless keyboard and when to use that it works properly but the built-in one still doesn't work until I do a reboot and sometimes even after a reboot it doesn't work.

So what could this be:

1. My computer is 5 years old. Could it be that a dying CMOS battery could affect the keyboard and make it randomly stop working?

2. I also surmised that maybe there was a windows update that affected the keyboard but I haven't seen anything that relates to keyboard or other motherboard drivers being installed.

3. Or could it be the keyboard hardware itself, is it failing somehow? But why would it work properly sometimes after a reboot?

4. Or something else? that's why I came here to ask for suggestions or direct solutions

I appreciate any guidance on helping to solve this frustrating issue

PS:

I tried to use Event Viewer to see if there is an entry that would show if Windows has reported/noticed the keyboard malfunctioning but I don't know where to look in Event Viewer, it's above my technical ability to know exactly where to look. I have tried but I don't see anything obvious.

System Information:

System Model Satellite S50D-A

Keyboard Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\i8042prt.sys (10.0.15063.0, 112.50 KB (115,200 bytes), 2017-03-18 5:56 PM)

:)

mwake, Aug 22, 2018

2. Built in keyboard not working

I recently purchased an ASUS ROG GL553VD Notebook Computer and a few weeks ago the keyboard stopped working. After a few restarts it worked again, but today the problem came back, and was not fixed by any amount of restarting. Several people on past posts said to reinstall they Keyboard driver, but there was no Keyboard section in the Device Manager. I am currently resetting the laptop to factory settings to see if that fixes the issue. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DanielJH99, Aug 22, 2018
  3. Internet randomly stops working on laptop

Hi,

Several factors may affect your Internet connection that may potentially affect its performance or for it to stop working randomly. To better assist you, we would like to ask you a few questions:

• Is this the first time that you've encountered the issue using your laptop?
    • Have you made any recent changes on your laptop prior to this issue?
    • Did you encounter any error messages? If so, please send us a screenshot of the exact error.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you performed so far?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Ronalene Mat, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response

Built-in laptop keyboard works in BIOD but not in Windows

Hi Garrick,

There are different factors that can contribute as to why your laptop's built-in keyboard is not working properly. This could be caused by a recent update that was installed or device drivers that got corrupted. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer
    the questions below:

• Prior to the issue occurring with the built-in keyboard in your laptop, were there any recent changes made or updates that
      were installed on your laptop?
    • When you attempted to update the device driver, were there any error messages that showed up?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 do you have installed on your laptop?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response

1. Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response - Similar Threads - Built keyboard laptop

2. ASUS laptop built-in keyboard is not responsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASUS laptop built-in keyboard is not responsive: My built-in keyboard will not be responsive after a few mins I turn on my laptop. Each time I have to use the physical power button to restart my laptop, then the built-in keyboard works but only last a few mins. If I click the windows button to restart, the built-in keyboard...
  3. ASUS laptop built-in keyboard is not responsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ASUS laptop built-in keyboard is not responsive: My built-in keyboard will not be responsive after a few mins I turn on my laptop. Each time I have to use the physical power button to restart my laptop, then the built-in keyboard works but only last a few mins. If I click the windows button to restart, the built-in keyboard...
  4. Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.: My laptop keyboard randomly stops working. The only way to get it back to work is by a hard reset press the power button to shut off the laptop or navigate in the system and press shut down. The it will work for an undetermined amount of time it could be few minutes, hours,...
  5. Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.

Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.: My laptop keyboard randomly stops working. The only way to get it back to work is by a hard reset press the power button to shut off the laptop or navigate in the system and press shut down. The it will work for an undetermined amount of time it could be few minutes, hours,...
  6. Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working

Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad t460p whoose keyboard randomly stops working after startup and touchpad scroll also works with delay when keyboard stops working but keypad mouse works just fine,When this problem arrives and i try to restart the laptop or even shut it down, the...
  7. Built-in laptop Keyboard stopped working ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built-in laptop Keyboard stopped working ASUS laptop: Hello community,I ran a 22 kb application did not recieve any warnings about it from antiviruses thinking it was meant to apply an update to another application as it has an appropriate name, but as soon as I presses it, Cybersight Ransomstopper detected it and reported that...
  8. Built-in laptop Keyboard stopped working ASUS laptop

Built-in laptop Keyboard stopped working ASUS laptop: Hello community,I ran a 22 kb application did not recieve any warnings about it from antiviruses thinking it was meant to apply an update to another application as it has an appropriate name, but as soon as I presses it, Cybersight Ransomstopper detected it and reported that...
  9. Built-in laptop Keyboard stopped working ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Built-in keyboard not working in laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Built-in keyboard not working in laptop: Hello, I want to ask a question My keyboard that built-in on my Acer Aspire 3 laptop Aspire A514-51K is not working at all I tried to type, use the Fn, clicking ctrl+alt+del, and many more. Those all things doesn't work except for the power button. I have tried...