Windows 10: Built-in keyboard was suddenly remapped

Discus and support Built-in keyboard was suddenly remapped in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! Here are the keys that were suddenly remapped in my keyboard: 1 -> F2 2 -> Esc 3 -> none 4 -> Esc F1-12 -> Esc Spacebar -> Esc Insert,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mian11, Sep 5, 2020.

1. mian11 Win User

Built-in keyboard was suddenly remapped

Hello!

Here are the keys that were suddenly remapped in my keyboard:

1 -> F2

2 -> Esc

3 -> none

4 -> Esc

F1-12 -> Esc

Spacebar -> Esc

Insert, Del, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn -> Esc

*Esc, F1-12, Insert, Del, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn are all at the top row of this keyboard.

**I used https://www.keyboardtester.com/tester.html to determine the functions. The same inputs were recorded when I used a keyboard remapper as a temporary fix.

Here are the things I've tried so far:

1. Change the input method.

I tried switching to different English inputs.

2. Turned off Sticky Keys and Filter Keys.

3. Attempted to update the keyboard driver.

I tried to update via Device Manager, but it says that the latest driver has been installed.

I looked at the manufacturer's website for drivers, but was not able to find anything for my PC's model.

4. Attempted to roll back drivers.

Roll back option was not available for my keyboard driver.

Tried to roll back Synaptics PS/2 Port Compatible TouchPad, because I've read somewhere that this could be relevant to the issue and that it worked for them.

5. Disabled touchpad.

Same reason as to why I tried to roll back its driver.

6. Reinstalled the keyboard driver.

7. Uninstalled Notepad++.

I know that its less likely to have this app cause the issue, but I thought it was worth a shot. It was the last app I installed before the issue, but it still was working fine and I still got to use the app for about 30 minutes until the sudden remapping.

8. Ran the keyboard troubleshooter.

9. Checked Windows Update.

My issue occurred on 09/04/2020, but the last update installed on 08/30/2020 and it was working fine until 09/04, so it's less likely that the culprit is the Windows Update. I also checked if updates are to be installed, but it shows that my PC is up-to-date.

There might be some other methods that I tried but missed to include in the list. I tried so many after all, but I'll add them in this post if I'd recall.

Here are the current details of the PC I'm using:

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 2004

OS Build: 19041.450

Keyboard Driver: Standard PS/2 Keyboard

Device model: Toshiba Satellite L850D

Keyboard replacement may not be an option, since this was purchased in a different country, and it is an old model. Right now, I used a keyboard remapper so I could use my space bar to actually input space as a temporary solution, and thankfully, it has a numpad so I don't always have to use the on-screen keyboard. I tried to make this post as exhaustive as I can, and it would be greatly appreciated for anyone who could help me out on this one.

Thanks a lot for reading through!

:)

mian11, Sep 5, 2020

2. Keyboard remapping

I don't think it's possible to remap the keyboard keys. At least there are not built in applications to do that.

Linley Meslier, Sep 5, 2020
  3. External keyboard keys remapped

Hi, some keys on my external keyboard that I use with my laptop have been remapped.

They have been remapped like this:

2 remapped to Insert

3 remapped to Home

4 remapped to 'W'

5 remapped to Delete

I tried the laptop's inbuilt keyboard and there are no issues whatsoever. I don't know if it is a software or hardware issue.

AbelBenoie, Sep 5, 2020
  4. Built-in keyboard was suddenly remapped

Keyboard Remap and Macro

(Windows 10 Pro)
    I need a recommendation for software that will ...
    1. allow me to remap a few keys on my keyboard
    2. one of them is the Windows Key
    3. allow me to create keyboard macros
    I keep hearing about sharpkeys but doesn't sound like it can create macros. I am hoping I can get the job done with a single program.
    Any suggestions? Thx, Henry Fiddler

Henry TFiddler, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

Built-in keyboard was suddenly remapped

1. Built-in keyboard was suddenly remapped - Similar Threads - Built keyboard was

2. remapping a single keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remapping a single keyboard: my laptops number pad has a different layout to my usb keyboard, I'd like to remap my laptop keyboard but not my usb keyboard may be both active at oncepowertoys can't do thiswindows 11 proudly has thousands of features I don't want. can microsoft implement this feature I do...
  3. remapping a single keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remapping a single keyboard: my laptops number pad has a different layout to my usb keyboard, I'd like to remap my laptop keyboard but not my usb keyboard may be both active at oncepowertoys can't do thiswindows 11 proudly has thousands of features I don't want. can microsoft implement this feature I do...
  4. Keyboard Keys Remapped for no reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Keys Remapped for no reason: Yesterday, while browsing in Chrome, I realised that some of my keyboard keys had been remapped. As I am writing this, I am using the touch keyboard to type.Currently, these are the problem keysn - <Notification Panel> z - z7 7 - z7 WinKey - <Notification Panel> on Win10, it...
  5. Keyboard malfunction or remapped

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard malfunction or remapped: Laptop: Msi GP627RDFew keys are working properly.Esc, E, V, Y, [, Alt, Tab.Pressing 'E' also presses 'Esc'.Pressing 'V' combines with '[' and come as 'v[' and if caps on '[' changed to '{'.Pressing 'Y' also presses 'Alt'.'Alt+Tab' don't change windows, only 'Tab' shows all...
  6. Remapping keyboard keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remapping keyboard keys: Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not (please let me know if there's a better sub), but I 'm trying to remap one of the keys on my keyboard since it doesn't seem to be working properly. Basically, I found a keyboard that someone had tossed out and I...
  7. Remap Keyboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remap Keyboard: I installed the new Powertoys from Microsoft and I was able to remap the F7 key the way I wanted to. I would like to know if there is a way to remap the function keys with a second mapping maybe Ctrl F7 for example, also is is possible to map something like ctrl L to do...
  8. Keyboard remapped

Keyboard remapped: my key next to spacebar has been remapped(deleted) and doesnt do anythung https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-remapped/9aadb5df-cf96-44ec-926d-bbfdd1bfb1fc
  9. Remapping keyboard keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remapping keyboard keys: I am using a virtual desktop software (Team viewer) to control my pc from my mac. i would like to know whether it is possible to remap keyboard keys on the windows side, specifically the apple CMD key to the windows control key. thanks....
  10. Keyboard remapping

Keyboard remapping: Hi, I'm new to computers in general and have recently bought a laptop with Windows10. I find the right hand shift key hard to reach and often press the PgUp key instead. Is there any way of swapping these keys around? TIA...