Windows 10: Built in mic is not working! I have tried everything

Discus and support Built in mic is not working! I have tried everything in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My built-in mic is not working. I have tried everything under sound issues on Microsoft and even followed all the steps on the HP website. When I go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Magaly11, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Magaly11 Win User

Built in mic is not working! I have tried everything

My built-in mic is not working. I have tried everything under sound issues on Microsoft and even followed all the steps on the HP website. When I go to my settings and try to troubleshoot the mic, it shows a green bar saying that my mic is working. However, I've tried on several different platforms, the camera, Zoom, an online mic test, voice recorder, and no sound is recorded. The reason I think its a Windows issue and not that my mic is broken is because of that green bar. When I talk into the mic it says it registers sound so it must be a software problem. Also this problem started back in May/June after an update, but because my classes ended I forgot this was an issue my laptop was having. I just updated today, hoping that this would fix my issue but it did not. I have connected my headphones and that mic does work. So can someone let me know if this is actually my mic that is not working or is it the software.

Once again, when I say I have tried everything that includes troubleshooting, restarting drivers, checking for driver updates, microphone settings, app settings, and more things that I can't remember.

I would also like to add that I got this laptop in April so it is fairly new. I can use my headphones but this is frustrating because its a very new and well kept laptop. It has not been dropped or spilled on and its been kept in its case indoors and out of the heat. I have a HP Spectre Folio and the mic that it says it uses is the Microphone Array Intel SST.

:)

Magaly11, Aug 25, 2020

2. Built in mic not working

Hi Ravindran,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing in-built mic on your device, we will help with this issue.

Step 1: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    and check.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Click on Start; in the start search type
      Troubleshooter and hit Enter.
    • In the left pane, click on View all
      and select Hardware and Devices.
    • Click on Advanced and then click on
      Run as Administrator.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: Uninstall and Update the driver.

This issue might have also occurred due to corrupted drivers hence, I suggest you to uninstall the existing driver and update it.

Steps:

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on
      High Definition Audio Device and click on Uninstall.
    • Restart and Windows will re-install the
      IDT High Definition Audio driver
    • If it works fine otherwise try to search for the drivers with the help of model number of your computer from the Manufacturer’s website and install them.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 25, 2020
  3. fireberd Win User
    USB Mic Problems.

The next step is what I suggested originally. Try it in a friend's PC or take it to Best Buy and ask them to try it one of their PC's. Have to confirm the mic is working OK.

fireberd, Aug 25, 2020
  4. Built in mic is not working! I have tried everything

Headset Mic Not Working

I really need some help.

I have a Cloud Stinger HyperX headset.

So the Microphone was working fine for many months then a few weeks ago it just stopped.

It does not show up on my list of Recording Devices anymore.

The only Mic I have is the one built in the computer.

I have tried multiple solutions and nothing works. Any suggestions?

John6Johnson6, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

Built in mic is not working! I have tried everything

1. Built in mic is not working! I have tried everything - Similar Threads - Built mic working

2. Built-in mic and mic-in jack not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built-in mic and mic-in jack not working properly: My microphone jack went out on my GL73 laptop and Built-in mic; I have seen posts of this happening but I don't know if I should download the same SCM file as I've seen on threads...
  3. Please, i have tried everything there is on the internet but for some reason my mic wont work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please, i have tried everything there is on the internet but for some reason my mic wont work.: when i go into the sound settings the mic shows it moving, the same thing in the properties but when i try to use it in a game or discord, it doesn't work. i enabled the option to listen to your own mic but i dont hear anything so i know its not a issue with my game or...
  4. Please, i have tried everything there is on the internet but for some reason my mic wont work.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please, i have tried everything there is on the internet but for some reason my mic wont work.: when i go into the sound settings the mic shows it moving, the same thing in the properties but when i try to use it in a game or discord, it doesn't work. i enabled the option to listen to your own mic but i dont hear anything so i know its not a issue with my game or...
  5. Please, i have tried everything there is on the internet but for some reason my mic wont work.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. My mic doesn't work and I've tried everything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My mic doesn't work and I've tried everything: My mic stopped working like 3 weeks ago and I thought it was my headphones so I bought a new pair. They came in today and It still doesn't work. I've updated my drivers I've gave it permission I switched my default input device to the new headset. I feel like I've literally...
  7. Built in mic won't work

Built in mic won't work: Hello. So I have this Lenovo laptop for almost a year or two now, and it's been working pretty fine except the battery which is a bit dead. Let's head to the main problem. I have been using this built in mic for some time and it's been working perfectly fine, but when my...
  8. Built-in mic won't work.

Built-in mic won't work.: Hello. So I have this Lenovo laptop for almost a year or two now, and it's been working pretty fine except the battery which is a bit dead. Let's head to the main problem. I have been using this built in mic for some time and it's been working perfectly fine, but when my...
  9. Mic doesn't work despite trying everything recommended

Mic doesn't work despite trying everything recommended: As the title says I have tried everything to get my mic to work I have gone to privacy and made sure everything mic related is enabled, I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers multiple times, I have updated my motherboard drivers. I am not sure what else to do. This is a...
  10. Mic suddenly stopped working, tried everything...

Mic suddenly stopped working, tried everything...: Hey guys, So I put together a new PC running Windows 10 Pro around 3 months ago and everything was working perfect till 2 days ago when my mic suddenly stopped working. I use a Steelseries Siberia V2 headset and the headphones work fine, but the mic is not picking up any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mic not working tried wverything