Windows 10: Built-in System Restore fails

Discus and support Built-in System Restore fails in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Win 10 ver 1809 build 17763.253 Running the built-in System Restore but fails to complete. I wonder if anyone has the same problem or it's my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by davidhk, Jan 19, 2019.

1. davidhk Win User

Built-in System Restore fails

Win 10 ver 1809 build 17763.253

Running the built-in System Restore but fails to complete.

I wonder if anyone has the same problem or it's my computer's problem.

P.S. I am not interested in those fabulous 3rd party backup program(s).
    I just want to find out if this problem is due to build 17763.253.

Thank you.

:)

davidhk, Jan 19, 2019
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Failed to complete System Restore

Hello Passegua,

The error code 0x80070005 may indicate a few things that are causing System Restore Failure. It could be corrupted system files, conflict with other programs such as Anti-virus protection, and etc. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest
    that you perform System restore in Safe Mode. Kindly refer to this link for more information and steps.

Another step that I can suggest is Clean Boot, if the above step fails.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Jan 19, 2019
  3. glivo Win User
    System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091

Steps taken.
    Part 1/
    Install W10. User -Test (No additional updates. No OEM drivers)
    Create Restore Point -"Pristine"
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    System Restore to RP "Pristine". (Note: Chrome should be gone.)
    Successful. Chrome is gone and Edge reset. ??? Chromesetup file removed from \downloads??? Why???
    New Restore Point - "Undo Restore" created by system.

Step 2/
    D/L and install KB3213986. Reboot.
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    Create Restore Point - "Update 1 Chrome"
    Make a system alteration. Uninstall Chrome.
    System Restore. (Note: Chrome should come back but may not work correctly.)
    Fail. 0x80070091

To me that represents a conclusive result.

The next obvious thing to do was to roll back the Update, assuming that this will fix System Restore. However, rolling back the Update DID NOT restore the functionality of System Restore. So now my confident claim, above, is a bit shaky. If performing the update does in fact cause the issue, removing it doesn't put it right.

So now, the next obvious thing is to perform the WindowsApps rename or deletion process, to apply the fix, and run a series of testing to see if System Restore becomes stable.

Results.
    Performing the WindowsApps rename fix, instead of deleting it this time, once again resulted in System Restore operating correctly. I have been able to install the remaining updates and flip back and forth between Restore Points without issue.

At this point I am done with it. My testing shows that:
    • It is update KB3213986 that causes the problem to occur in the first instance.
    • Rolling back the update does not correct the problem.
    • Performing the known fix returns System Restore functionality.
    • For how long, we don't yet know.

Should you wish to rename the WindowsApps directory rather than delete it, the attrib WindowsApps -h command line can only be performed after the icacls command line.

glivo, Jan 19, 2019
  4. graye Win User

graye, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Built-in System Restore fails - Similar Threads - Built System Restore

2. System restore fail error 0x800700b7

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore fail error 0x800700b7: Hello I need help with my windows 10 PC. Every try to restore my computer returns the same error : [img] I don't know where it does come from ... I ran dism check scan & restore + sfc /verifonly & scannow nothing to report for every commands. I did a reinstall with windows...
  3. System Restore consistently fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore consistently fails: Whenever I attempt a system restore, from any of the available restore points, I'm consistently given the following error: System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed to replace...
  4. RE : built-in system restore

RE : built-in system restore: This is NOT for Insider version. Win 10 ver 1903 Build 17763.475. Issue : Win 10 built-in system restore has not been working for quite a while. Question : Is MS planning to fix it at all? Does anyone know ? I am not interested in the "alternative" . I just want to know if...
  5. System restore failed error 0x80070005

System restore failed error 0x80070005: Hello. I tried to perform a system restore after installing a bad driver. But I got this message at the end of the process: "System restore did not complete successfully" Followed by text and the error code 0x80070005. I learned that I need to set the system restore...
  6. System image restore fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image restore fails: I'm replacing the hard drive on my laptop since my original is full. 1. Using Windows' Backup and Restore, I created a system image. 2. Since I do not have a DVD drive, I created a Windows 10 install media (here) directly to a USB. 3. I boot up using the USB and attempt...
  7. System Restore Fails Every Time

System Restore Fails Every Time: Hi Guys, Here is a weird one. On Win 10 Pro, 1803, Build 17134.48. Every system restore fails on my machine, with the error as in attachment. [img] If I try booting from Windows 10 setup USB boot and select Repair, then go to System Restore, I get this message: To use...
  8. System Restore Fails Error 0x80070005

System Restore Fails Error 0x80070005: So I try to restore any point and get an error: [img] I have turned off Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I also did a sfc /scannow with no integrity violations. Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit... Any suggestions? 21204
  9. System Restore Failed - 0x8007045b

System Restore Failed - 0x8007045b: Hi I am trying to do a system restore and I am getting an error about failing to extract original copy of the directory from the restore point. Something about Appxstaging. [img] I found this Windows 10 Version 1607: System restore error 0x80070091 [Fix] | Borns...
  10. System Image Restore Fail

System Image Restore Fail: Hi All, I had to wind my OS back to windows 7 using recovery media because a system image I created with the backup and restore tool in windows 10 failed to restore. The system image was on an external hdd but it could not be found when plugged into a USB port. I'll...