Windows 10: Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup

Discus and support Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there If you have a few old HDD's available why not use these for backing up NAS etc. To do this IMO the best way is as follows : 1) Get say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Jan 25, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup

Hi there
    If you have a few old HDD's available why not use these for backing up NAS etc.

To do this IMO the best way is as follows :

1) Get say a 4 Bay (powered) HDD container with USB3 connector -- really cheap one with no built in RAID etc works really well. 2 Bay ones are also good if you only have 2 spare HDD's. Really cheap -- around 40 USD for 2 bay ones, a bit more for the 4 bay ones.

2) If your NAS is a Linux system make sure package mdadm is installed - this is a RAID (software package) package - usually installed by default as RAID support is built into all Linux kernels these days.

3) connect the bay to your Nas. You'll see 2 / 3 / 4 HDD's depending on how many bays you've populated/

4) format each HDD -- use EXT4 as it's the fastest and most reliable --- as root mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb for example where HDD's are /dev/sdx x anything.

5) now create a RAID device -- once created the external HDD container can be moved between different systems with no probs at all.

I would create a RAID 0 array here as it's not going to be online all the time --you are using this as backup so utilize maximum space and speed -- the chances of BOTH your backup device AND the NAS failing at the same time aren't at all likely so as root type : mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

The above creates an array of 2 HDD's -- you can create another one of another 2 HDD's or create a single array of all your HDD's

6) now format the array -- in the example I've shown as root type : mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0 where md0 is the RAID device you created.

7) simply mount the device to a mount point and you are good to go

as root type mount /dev/md0 -t auto -o rw /mnt/DV1 (or whatever your mount point is).

If you move the box to another NAS / Linux VM etc then simply mount /dev/md0 with the mount command as above.

Works fine.

In fact rather than mess around with Windows volume spanning / storage spaces etc I start up a Linux VM , mount the array and then have it as a networked shared drive to Windows. Works a treat and makes good use of older HDD's --why chuck them away.

Note though if attaching a 4 bay array to a laptop via USB3 - even though the bay itself will be powered I'd still connect the bay to the laptop via a POWERED usb 3 Hub -- 4 X 4 TB HDD's working as a single RAID 0 device need a powered hub in most cases !!! --poor little laptops weren't really meant to have 16 TB of spinners attached to them !!!!!!

Cheers

Jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 25, 2017
  2. J. B.M Win User

get windows 10 and disk mirroring

Hi RE,

Had a look at Storage Spaces before writing but could not see how to get it to work between 2 router attached usb HDD and my Laptop. The VR900 offers a NAS service with the 2 usb HDD like ReadyShare for Netgear, not true NAS but OK for home media / file
    sharing from PC or Android devices. It works well for my needs, the only problem is how to create auto Mirror / Backups

I need 1 usb HDD to be a Mirror of the other and be able to auto update the prime usb HDD (or both) from specific files on my PC. The Prime usb HDD/s need to be No Deletes, renames and New Files.

Currently, I am endevouring to fully understand RichCopy4 to see if that can perform the required actions with minimal duplication.

I have tried a single drive NAS (with a usb3 port) for home use, which worked OK when it worked but the way the Mirror was produced on an attached usb3 HDD resulted in constant failures. I am tired of flaky software used by the type of device within a pensioners
    budget. I want drives that go into Standby reliably and work when wanted. I have used SyncToy2 with some success but some files show up as errors when updating from Win 10 Pro. OK for first write but errors forever afterwards.

J. B.M, Jan 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 backup (using "Windows 7" tool) does not work

exactly my condition..works with usb hdd, doesn't work on NAS.

fabio_erre, Jan 25, 2017
  4. Golden Win User

If it's intended as a backup, wouldn't it be better as a JBOD instead of RAID0 Jimbo? Or do you want a bit of performance in it too?

Golden, Jan 25, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

@Golden

Performance is the issue here if you are backing up a lot of stuff -- also the cheaper multi-bay HDD boxes don't have JBOD or RAID switches on them -- my solution was (IMO) the best bang for buck with the fastest performance --especially as one is likely to be using older slower HDD's - such as 5400 RPM spinners or those with only 64MB cache sizes (a small cache size makes a HUGE difference in HDD performance - run a lot slower -- that's why cheaper HDD's have small cache sizes !!!).

Using RAID 0 you get parallel I/O streams which speeds the thing up even on slow HDD's. You don't need in this instance to worry about data loss --- there's more chance of all the atoms of air rushing to a corner of a room than BOTH NAS AND the RAID 0 array going defective at the same time.

RAID 0 also uses all the HDD space efficiently - balancing I/O across the array evenly. With the Linux MDADM RAID facility you can also mix HDD sizes too.

BTW you could use the HDD multi bay box as a cheap NAS itself -- or at least as a network share -- in this case you can use RAID 1, 10, 5 or whatever you like depending on how many HDD's you have available. The software RAID facility allows you to specify type / options etc --- simply google Linux software RAID or google for MDADM.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Bunch of old HDD's - how to use as NAS backup - Similar Threads - Bunch old HDD's

2. Using old SSD for backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using old SSD for backups: Not a question, just wanted to share. I bought a Samsung 860 Evo a few months ago and have been using it since (thanks to those who helped with that). I kept my old SSD and recently purchased an enclosure for it. Previously I had been imaging to a 10 year old HDD. Images took...
  3. How to unlock Bitlocker HDD that's attached to NAS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to unlock Bitlocker HDD that's attached to NAS?: As the title says, I just realized the reason why my HDD isn't being mounted by my NAS is because it's encrypted with Bitlocker so I can't access it. Is there a way for me to unlock it over network or via a terminal? submitted by /u/brianx87 [link] [comments]...
  4. How to safely backup user profiles to a NAS?

How to safely backup user profiles to a NAS?: I want to take daily backups of user profiles - at least AppData, Documents, Descktop - to a NAS drive with some degree of security from malware. There are problems with everything I've tried (or just looked at) so far. Macrium Reflect files and folders backups work, but MR...
  5. How to check old HDD....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to check old HDD....: Welcome... Few day ego, I changed old HDD in my laptop.... In my opinion it was a problem with a very slow booting...and impossibe working with it... Now I have this HDD out of computer and I ask you about how to finally check if and what damage it has or does not have,,??...
  6. Best Backup for NAS drives?

Best Backup for NAS drives?: Hi, Would anyone recommend a good Cloud Backup for my NAS drives, Synology DS218J NAS 16TB and WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra NAS 8TB both on RAID1 (HOME) setups but am looking for a online backup incase off theft or any other problems? I'm using about 2-4TB at the moment. Thanks...
  7. Using An Old Laptop For Backup

Using An Old Laptop For Backup: Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to re-purpose an old laptop as an external backup medium. Here is the current situation: 1. We have 4 Windows 10 laptops at home 2. I have an old (about 8 years) Windows 7 laptop What are the options to use the old laptop...
  8. Backup to NAS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to NAS: Hello! I want to save my Windows backup to my NAS but i am running access to it without credentials, and that dosnt work for Windows Backup. The backup feature wants credentials but i dont have any. Typing Guest/Guest dosnt work, it just says i need full permission but i...
  9. NAS Drive now a HDD

NAS Drive now a HDD: Hi all I have a LACIE NAS which Ive never really used properly as a NAS as I would turn it off when not using it and literally just used it to back stuff up once in a while. so i went to use it recently after about 6 months and it wouldnt turn on and i think there is...
  10. Backup of your NAS boxes

Backup of your NAS boxes: Hi there A lot of people here back up to NAS boxes -- but remember These CAN fail as well (or at least an HDD can). So I do suggest that you actually backup the stuff on your NAS from time to time -- you might NEVER need it but who knows. NAS boxes (or things like Micro...