Windows 10: burn ISO

Discus and support burn ISO in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If I am not mistaken I used Windows 10 alone to download and burn the ISO for a spare disc. Please correct me if wrong. If I want to burn an ISO to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by maranna, Feb 3, 2017.

1. maranna Win User

burn ISO

If I am not mistaken I used Windows 10 alone to download and burn the ISO for a spare disc. Please correct me if wrong.

If I want to burn an ISO to a flash drive with Windows 10, do I need 3rd party software?

lastly I was burning DVD s to flash drive by copy and paste. It was suggested I involve ISO files to make it easier but I do not understand -could you help?

Thank
    Peter

:)

maranna, Feb 3, 2017

2. Burning ISO

To burn a disk Right click desired ISO and Select Burn disc image.

Hope this helps.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 3, 2017
  3. Cheezy1 Win User
    Burning ISO

How di I burn an ISO to disk in windows 10

Cheezy1, Feb 3, 2017
  4. Wullail Win User

burn ISO

I just right click and choose the burn option , built into windows 10 afaik.

The flash drive , you should be able to mount the ISO as a drive and just copy the files over to the correctly formatted flash drive.

Wullail, Feb 3, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    To make a USB flash drive:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

For step 9, make sure to use the FAT32 file system - it will work on both legacy BIOS and UEFI:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12, mount the ISO file and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Feb 3, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    If you download from MS at the end it gives you and option to save iso or create dvd or usb

Samuria, Feb 3, 2017
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Both last two suggestions will work fine. If you're inexperienced user use MS download tool or Rufus.*
    I recommend Rufus, its clean and never had any problems with it. Just use default settings (with ISO they are set by ISO) *Smile You stil have to download ISO from MS *Smile

AndreTen, Feb 3, 2017
  8. burn ISO

Rufus is the absolute best tool for absolute beginners. It's fast (a lot faster than the MS download tool) and I have never ever had any issues with it.

slicendice, Feb 3, 2017
  9. maranna Win User
    I should not have asked more than one question in a single post- apologies.

I think I misled you as I have already made the Win 10 DVD from an ISO file a long time ago. I had forgotten and was checking if I did it right with my first comment.

With the second comment, I was wondering if I could burn any ISO to flash drive with Win 10 only and no 3rd party..

The third comment, I made in my post, involved me burning DVD videos to a flash drive and someone told me to use ISO files to make it easier. I did not know how to do so and did not understand how it made it easier.

My level is sort of low so I am avoiding hard to do tasks. I will study all he information given me - thank you.

maranna, Feb 3, 2017
  10. OK, I C!

You don't burn anything to USB flash drives, you only copy files there.

For CDs, DVDs and BlyeRay-Discs you literally burn data to.

Now to your original Question:

Yes you can copy files from a DVD to an USB thumb-drive. But if you want the data you copy there needs to be on a bootable medium, then the thumb-drive has to be prepared for that. If it's a Windows installation, then just follow answer #1 in this thread or use Rufus. If it's something else you want to get copied there and it needs to be bootable, then the process can quickly become very complicated. If you are a novice computer user I recommend sticking to burning DVDs for those types of images and forget about USB-sticks, as it becomes really complicated really fast.

slicendice, Feb 3, 2017
  11. maranna Win User
    @slicendice - my words were off and I do understand about burning and copying.

When I had copied files to the thumb drive from the DVD discs I could insert the flash drive and view the videos.
    I don't know about the bootable part but will leave it as is so I don't get too confused. You may mean I had to make the flash drive play rather than it playing when I inserted it.

maranna, Feb 3, 2017
  12. Ok, I see now that you are talking about DVD movie discs only (I was thinking DVD as a physical medium in general).

Depending on your DVD player software, you should be able to fill your USB-stick with movies, each movie in a separate folder, and then play all movies from that stick. If the software is good enough, you won't notice any difference in the behavior of playing from the stick compared to playing from DVDs.

slicendice, Feb 3, 2017
  13. AndreTen Win User

burn ISO

for the first comment: try to boot PC with that DVD. If it boots, it's OK *Smile (well, 99% - boot sectors are the trickiest, the rest is easy..

You got your answer for second question (I guess)

For third question, regarding media content on flash drive...*Depends on the device you're playing it on. Most modern TVs, players etc play almost any video content provided on flash drives. ISOs are used to emulate DVD behavior (menus, etc) but not every device can play it.*

AndreTen, Feb 3, 2017
  14. maranna Win User
    I know I can view the files on my flash drive but I have formatted it. I will undertake this at a later date.
    After much thought and reading it seems that a person could use imgburn to create an ISO from the files or folder. It seems the ISO is similar to the zip in that it holds all the files.
    Then use Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Just for now, I will stick with the easy way, but, I cannot thank you all for your valuable input and patience. I learned a lot today.
    Peter

maranna, Feb 3, 2017
  15. NO, why would you want to make a roundtrip to making an ISO of local files then extract that ISO to a stick? Just copy the files to the stick straight from your local folder.

You only need Rufus if you are going to put an operating system on the thumb drive and make that thumb drive bootable so that the Operating System Setup application can start.

slicendice, Feb 4, 2017
Thema:

burn ISO

1. burn ISO - Similar Threads - burn ISO

2. Am I allowed to burn ISO images into CDs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Am I allowed to burn ISO images into CDs?: Am I allowed to burn ISO images into CDs or USB? I use these as backups to re install Windows. These do not include product keys and are just the ISOs....
  3. Am I allowed to burn ISO images into CDs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Am I allowed to burn ISO images into CDs?: Am I allowed to burn ISO images into CDs or USB? I use these as backups to re install Windows. These do not include product keys and are just the ISOs....
  4. Burn ISO image to USB flash drive Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Burn ISO image to USB flash drive Windows 11: I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 11. My DVD does not work and I think it is because of some corrupted files. I downloaded the correct ISO image, but it will only allow me the option of burning the image to DVD. Windows help clearly states that the image can be...
  5. Burn ISO image to USB flash drive Windows 11

Burn ISO image to USB flash drive Windows 11: I am trying to do a clean install of Windows 11. My DVD does not work and I think it is because of some corrupted files. I downloaded the correct ISO image, but it will only allow me the option of burning the image to DVD. Windows help clearly states that the image can be...
  6. When try to do clean install of Windows 10 using iso burned to flash drive computer crashes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When try to do clean install of Windows 10 using iso burned to flash drive computer crashes...: I currently have a computer with Windows 8.1 installed in one partition and Ubuntu installed in another.I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 10. I have had many problems along the way. Recently I tried downloading the Windows 10 installer ISO and then using Rufus to burn...
  7. When try to do clean install of Windows 10 using iso burned to flash drive computer crashes...

When try to do clean install of Windows 10 using iso burned to flash drive computer crashes...: I currently have a computer with Windows 8.1 installed in one partition and Ubuntu installed in another.I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 10. I have had many problems along the way. Recently I tried downloading the Windows 10 installer ISO and then using Rufus to burn...
  8. When try to do clean install of Windows 10 using iso burned to flash drive computer crashes...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Latest Windows 10 Install media ISO file too large to burn to DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Windows 10 Install media ISO file too large to burn to DVD: The stock answer to this problem is "use a flash drive". However, there are those of us who have antediluvian PCs whose bios does not support booting from USB flash drives. I thought that putting the install media on a bootable internal or external HDD might be a solution but...
  10. Burning Windows 10 ISO larger than 4GB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Burning Windows 10 ISO larger than 4GB: A while ago, I think around the last one or two major updates, the Windows 10 iso file grew past the Fat32 file size limit of 4GB. Now for me, my laptop does not does not accept NTFS/exFat boot devices At this point, I have tried all the major ISO burners. I believe I'm...