Windows 10: Burning a bootable disk

Discus and support Burning a bootable disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to burn a bootable disk from a Windows 7 ISO for my brother he had lost the original media OEM I gave him with the machine I upgraded the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ICIT2LOL, Apr 18, 2017.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Burning a bootable disk

I am trying to burn a bootable disk from a Windows 7 ISO for my brother he had lost the original media OEM I gave him with the machine I upgraded the CPU and RAM SSD etc for him..

Now I have done this before using PowerISO and did that at a relatively slow rate because I am under the impression that the burn rate should be max 4x and better if slower to prevent files corruption. Now the lowest speed I can find with PowerISO tonight is 8x (or max) so has anyone got n=any suggestions for another burner so I can burn at a slower rate or is it ok to burn at high rates as I am not sure now.

:)

ICIT2LOL, Apr 18, 2017
  2. mnayak2 Win User

microsoft burn disk image

Can Microsoft burn disk image make bootable disk

mnayak2, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Error code 0x80004005- burn Windows 10 ISO file on disk media.

Hi Terry -

If it's the Office ISO for bootable installation disk then did you right click it to Burn Disk Image?

You can also right click to Mount and then right click Setup to Run as Administrator.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 18, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Burning a bootable disk

Why not just do it to a flash drive using rufus or similar?

cereberus, Apr 18, 2017
  5. mike s Win User
    The optimal burning speed is determined by a combination of factors; including the type of dye used on the blank disc, the manufacturing quality and QC, the list of burning strategies codified in the firmware of your DVD burner, the condition of the laser, and the stability of the spindle motor that spins the disc.

The "burn at 4X" is something of an old wives tale which ignores most of the above in a blind attempt to keep to "slower is better". This isn't always true; many drive transports have significant jitter when spinning at the lowest speeds which impacts on readability. I personally use "one speed lower than the maximum useable speed reported back to the burning program" as my guide.

Also, if a decent burning program consistently gives you a choice of only ONE burning speed with a particular drive/disc lot, it may be because the disc's dye type (MID as read from the pregroove) is unknown to the drive's firmware. In that case the DVD burner is using "failsafe" mode for speed and strategy selection; which may or may not give you such great results. If that happens, I'd sooner try a different type of blank than looking for another burner. After you do the burn, run a verify pass on the ISO vs. burned CD to be sure it's OK.

Or, as a previous posted has suggested ... create a bootable USB install drive instead.

mike s, Apr 18, 2017
  6. I haven't worried about burn speeds in years. Most software seems to have an "automatic" setting, so I just use that. No issues anymore.

Your line of thinking was correct back when we all had slow IDE spinners and IDE burners on the same channel.

DeaconFrost, Apr 18, 2017
  7. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok well I have got the general consensus I might send him sticks as well as DVD's my gear is fairly new the Sandy running a good Liteon and the Ivy runs a Blu ray and bot the Asus lappies have Matsusushitas.

It is just that I am not fan of sticks to be honest but will send him disks and them. I only am concerned because of him being in the UK and I the machine I did him up is now getting on though he could do it himself I just wanted to do something for him plus I am sending him some spare SSD's I have - he has had some terrible luck just lately.

I do however tend to agree that the media should be quality branded stuff though, and it will be interesting if I send ISO's from the 7 and 10 machines.

Thanks for the advice.
    John*Smile

ICIT2LOL, Apr 19, 2017
  8. AddRAM Win User

Burning a bootable disk

This one never fails me.

Free ISO Burner

I also use Power Iso which is my 1st choice.

But if 8x speed is the lowest you can use, give it a go I think it should work.

If there`s an option to verify after the burn then use it.

AddRAM, Apr 19, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If using USB sticks (IMO far more robust than Optical media) simply create a bootable drive by using RUFUS and the iso image from a HDD.

I usually do that -- from the Windows media creator tool I stop at the ISO stage (i.e I just create the ISO) and then make a bootable USB stick with the rufus program --works every time.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Also if posting from 'OZ to GB you are much less likely to get damage, loss etc -- + it's easier to package for postage.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 19, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    Problem with rufus is it is easy to get it wrong especially for a uefi install.

I use the diskpart method that always works

Open admin command prompt and type:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk n (n = usb drive)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign
    exit
    exit

You can create a text file with above eg usbsetup.txt and run it simply with

diskpart /s usbsetup.txt

Note: This assumes you always know the usb drive number - if you had other usb drives attached, you would need to check first and edit file.

Then mount iso as a drive and simply copy all files to usb drive.

This method always works on uefi or bios installs.

cereberus, Apr 19, 2017
  11. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Look I keep losing posts as the forum page keeps logging me out so I will keep it short.
    Brian I will try your suggestion out over the weekend and Jimbo haven’t heard for my brother yet so don't know if he would be happier with a stick or disk but if I send both I can kill the bird with two stones eh??

To be honest I thought all DVD's were made using a universal manufacturing standard although I always use well known brands but have found Maxell disks burn faster even at the same speed as when using Philips brand ones using ImgBurn at 2.5x even though it offered 1x as the slowest speed.
    So I will test a couple out over the weekend and see what the go is using whatever method to test the burnt disks.

ICIT2LOL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Burning a bootable disk

1. Burning a bootable disk - Similar Threads - Burning bootable disk

2. Make Win10 disk bootable.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make Win10 disk bootable.: Hello,I have a dual-boot desktop with a Win-7 disk bootable, and a Win-10 disk non-bootable. The Win-7 disk has the boot option code installed, to pick either win10 or win7 on power-up. The Win-10 disk has no boot record/code, and cannot boot by itself. Is there a way to add...
  3. Files are waiting to be burned to disk.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files are waiting to be burned to disk.: I have added some files to my DVD then I took it out without burning the files, then I put my DVD on two other computers and the files that I put before appeared normally but it kept asking me to burn the files on the two other computers, what does that mean? and are my files...
  4. burning files to an optical disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    burning files to an optical disk: I have some 18GB of pictures I want to burn to my Blu Ray drive. I opened the folder where they are stored on my NAS and selected all with Ctrl-A, and then clicked on Send To F:. The computer took about 10 min and then began badgering me with messages that there are files...
  5. burn to disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    burn to disk: How do I burn data to a dvd without formatting the dvd. I am looking for how to override the apparent default and just burn the data to the dvd. Windows 10 tries to format the dvd and renders the disk unusable in the process. Please repair the burn to disk feature as this is...
  6. Burn to disk failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Burn to disk failed: I have Windows 10 Home 1903 and I have been using Burn to Disk to burn CDs and DVDs for about two years. Two weeks ago, the function failed. Now I'm told that the burn failed and the disk may be unusable. I have an installed burner and two USB burners. I'm getting the same...
  7. Problem with Disk Burn Utility

Problem with Disk Burn Utility: Since upgrading to Windows 10, I have been unable to burn iso files to disk, sometimes I get an error message, saying this could be due to disk utility burn speed. Most of the time just a message, an error occurred. With this same computer, I never had a problem with Windows...
  8. Burning to a disk

Burning to a disk: Could someone recommend a simple programme to burn a file to a disk as finally given up trying to understand Win 10's instructions which are beyond useless. Tried next to download one which came with a free virus, now gone, so anything tried and trusted would now be most...
  9. disk is not bootable

in Windows 10 Support
    disk is not bootable: hi, I have a folder structure (see below) that is created after upgrade from W7 to W10. In my previous question a day ago it was confirmed that it could be used for creating W10 installation media. So I don't want to repeat how it was created. It was created automatically...
  10. Burn bootable disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Burn bootable disk: I have a .bin file, how do I make this file bootable? 87221