Windows 10: buying a computer with 2 hard drives

Discus and support buying a computer with 2 hard drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am thinking about buying a new computer that has both a solid state and hard disk (not sure if it is a hybrid or separate drives). Most that I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bha19, Jan 3, 2016.

1. bha19 Win User

buying a computer with 2 hard drives

I am thinking about buying a new computer that has both a solid state and hard disk (not sure if it is a hybrid or separate drives). Most that I have seen have a 120G SSD and a 1 or 2TB HDD. I am sure I want Windows 10 as my OS.

Here is my question:

will the HDD be recognized as the C: drive or just the SSD? I ask this because I am used to installing everything on the C: drive and don't want the D: drive as my storage drive and 120G is not big for storage.

:)

bha19, Jan 3, 2016
  2. Yaek.m Win User

Windows 10 on 2 hard drives in same computer?

Hello,

Can I install Windows 10 on 2 hard drives on the same computer and activate it with the same license?

1st HDD -> Windows 10

2nd HDD -> Windows 10

It will only be active every time 1 HDD only.

Yaek.m, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Windows 10 on 2 hard drives in same computer?

You will still need a separate license (product key) for both. You can't use the same product key to activate two installations.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 3, 2016
  4. iceferret Win User

The laptop i'm using here has a 250GB SSD and 1 TB HDD. The c: drive is on the former. I would definitely not go less the 250gb, but I knew that from my last c: drive which is imaged onto this one. Cleaned up a lot of crap when I'd got it moved and have 126gb free.
    All work and data etc goes on the hdd.
    Boots off the ssd really fast too!*Eek

iceferret, Jan 3, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    The C drive is from wherever (partition) runs the OS. In your case it could be either, but from the SSD it will be faster.

6. sn00ker Win User
    And why wouldn't you want your stuff on the other drive? I never keep my stuff on the same partition were windows is install

sn00ker, Jan 3, 2016
  7. bha19 Win User
    I am asking because when you go to install most software it wants to install on the C: drive.

bha19, Jan 3, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

I recommend to install the programs where the OS is. But the user data should be in a separate partition. If the OS goes down, that's easy to replace. If the data goes down, you may have a problem - unless you make frequent images that I recommend.

9. machare Win User
    How much data do you have? Ordering a PC with a 1/2 TB SSD should be possible. Though if it was me I would keep the OS+programs in a separate partition from data.

machare, Jan 3, 2016
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    A 1/2 TB SSD will cost you a good penny. That would not be my choice. I would take a 120GB SSD for the OS and put the data on a spinner.

11. bha19 Win User
    I always back up my computer once a week.

bha19, Jan 3, 2016
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    Using an SSD for the OS and applications is a good compromise between performance and economy. Using an SSD for everything would be better but that is still quite expensive.

The different usage patterns of the OS+application code and application data make such a division possible. Access to the OS and application code typically consists of small reads scattered over multiple files. SSDs handle this very well but it is a major weakness of conventional drives. Access to data typically consists of large reads confined to a single file. Conventional drives handle this quite well and most of the advantages of an SSD are lost. An SSD for data is still better but expensive.

If possible you want applications installed on your OS drive. This is true for a convention drive but even more so when it is an SSD. For me a 120 GB SSD is more than adequate but many people require more.

The downside of such a division of applications ans data is that you must take an active part in choosing where data will be stored. If you accept the defaults for everything the SSD will fill rapidly while the storage drive remains largely empty. Windows won't make this choice for you. When there are multiple drives Windows assumes the user knows what he is doing and will do the right thing. Unfortunately that often isn't the case.

LMiller7, Jan 3, 2016
  13. MSRadell Win User

This setup is very similar to what I'm using. I have a 256 GB SSD as C drive and a 1 TB conventional hard drive as D.

Is it possible to move the entire "Users" directory from C drive to D drive and have it be recognized without doing anything special?

MSRadell, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. buying a computer with 2 hard drives - Similar Threads - buying computer hard

2. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  3. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  4. transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfering all files from 2 hard drives to 1 hard drive: the C-Drive is the one i have windows installed onmy current pc has 2 hard drives and the pc i am about to get has only one.a bunch of programs have the program installed on the D-Drive while the config/save files are on the C-Drive.because copying everything takes for ever...
  5. Computer hard drive? Problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer hard drive? Problems: I have looked on multiple sites for solutions but I am being tag teamed by multiple problems including Srt.TrailTxt aka automatic repair loop is the main one then from the left corner comes Write Protection to make sure I cannot use the ChkDsk command to fix it OK annoying...
  6. 2 drives inside a computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2 drives inside a computer: there's a 2nd drive, a ssd, on computer, and i've no idea how to use it 1. is C drive the main hdd drive? i guess so 2. is there a different letter for the 2nd drive? if so how to make it show? is the ssd in the C drive? 3. like how do you install stuff specifically in the...
  7. help for me buy hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    help for me buy hard drive: i want to back up my pc windows 10 and ps3 to same external hard drive. 1.what specs should i buy (general)? 2.what specs should i not buy (general)? 3.what specs will totally not work? 4.should i clone both systems or just back up files, or clone one and back up other? 5.I...
  8. Computer/hard drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer/hard drive?: My computer keeps recycling to a blue screen and saying "your device ran into a problem" & needs to re-start. It gathers information."It lists "KMODE exception not handled'. When it gets to 100%, then it goes to the Gateway logo, "Preparing Automatic Repair" and starts all...
  9. 2 hard drives lost boot

in Windows 10 Support
    2 hard drives lost boot: Not so sure my title is fitting, sorry i haven't been around in along time,, anyhow my issue is odd,, last night my battery back up fried out in the middle of the night it wont power on without the alarm going off like crazy. So after eliminating that then i couldn't get my...
  10. Having 2 hard drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having 2 hard drives: Does anyone here have 2 HDDs or 2 SSDs that they use one for the soul purpose of the OS and use the other for installing software? I'm highly considering that. Is that possible in Win10? 21663