Windows 10: Buying a Win7 activation key?

Discus and support Buying a Win7 activation key? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is there a way to just buy a Win7 Pro 64bit key off Microsoft's site? Or do I have to buy a physical copy? All I'm trying to do is get the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by seek, Mar 28, 2016.

1. seek Win User

Buying a Win7 activation key?

Is there a way to just buy a Win7 Pro 64bit key off Microsoft's site? Or do I have to buy a physical copy?

All I'm trying to do is get the free upgrade to Win10 Pro 64. If I heard right you can just put the Window 7 key in when activating Win10 now.

-Thanks

:)

2. Auto hide taskbar is NOT working!

OK i contacted on-line support, a windows tech person used a logmein remote session to inspect my computer.

Tells me that i need to buy a new win7 license key for $40.

I tell him i'm on disability, funds are tight, i'm not buying a new license, besides i bought this computer with an activated win7, now your telling me i have to buy win7 again just because i tried win10........

He saw the issue, and gave me a new activation key for free, that works for win10 as well as my current win7 pro.

He tells me i can do the win10 upgrade again if desired, and restore win7 without this problem happening again.

I hope thats the case, because i do plan on trying the win10 upgrade down the road, and hopefully the little issues will be fixed by then.

Thank you MS.

Hot-Rod411, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Steve T5 Win User
    MS suport asking for Payment?

Thanks but they didnt help.

Here is what I had to do.

Installed win7 in a seperate partition. Activated win7 and upgraded to 10. Activated the win 10 and copied the key.

Booted back to the "main" partition and changed the key to the new activated key. I then got the message that the key was blocked.

Booted back to the "temp" instal checked the key, it was ok. Formatted the main partiton, lost everything. Reinstalled win7, upgraded to win10, activated it. Guess what it has the same key that it previously told me was blocked.

Seems to me CS is not helping at all, they just have the same answer. Buy a new Key.

The whole activation issues is either bugged or not working properly, at least as far as my key went.

This was a lot of hassle.

Steve T5, Mar 28, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Mar 28, 2016
  5. seek Win User
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    If you do purchase or own a valid retail (not OEM COA) key, you can download a genuine version of Windows 7 setup iso from Microsoft, entering the key as validation for the download:
    Windows 7

If Windows 8.1 is required, you do not need a key for download, just for installation and activation, there is now a Media Creation tool for Windows 8.1 at Windows 8
    This will create ISO or USB media.

These may be required if there is a persistent problem with a clean installation, but when upgrades to 10 proceed to completion

Fafhrd, Mar 28, 2016
  7. seek Win User
    seek, Apr 4, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You should be able to install Windows 10 Pro by clicking "I don't have a product key" or "skip" or "do this later" when asked for a product key. After it is installed, go to settings, Updates & Security, and the activation screen. Change product key, then enter the Windows 7 Pro product key to activate it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2016
  9. seek Win User
    Thanks, Navy... I'm not going to mark this one as solved yet tho.

seek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Buying a Win7 activation key? - Similar Threads - Buying Win7 activation

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. win7 is not activated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win7 is not activated: I have win7 pro with genuine product. Now my laptop corrupted, so that when i install win7 it is not activated. what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-is-not-activated/4afa75bd-59b2-4827-b756-68fb9cb5b19c
  4. win7 is not activated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win7 is not activated: I have win7 pro with genuine product. Now my laptop corrupted, so that when i install win7 it is not activated. what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-is-not-activated/4afa75bd-59b2-4827-b756-68fb9cb5b19c
  5. Where to buy activation key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where to buy activation key?: I installed Windows 10 via flashdrive, now I need a activation key. Where do I buy one from? submitted by /u/Riku4441 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fd4h7a/where_to_buy_activation_key/
  6. windows 10 activation with win7 keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 activation with win7 keys: I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this question. Can anyone tell me whether or not Win7 keys will continue to activate windows 10 after the January End of Support for 7 submitted by /u/MoeTheSurgeon [link] [comments]...
  7. Places to buy *just* the activation key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Places to buy *just* the activation key: I was wondering if there was a place on Earth where I can buy just the product activation key for Windows 10 without having to buy download media? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/places-to-buy-just-the-activation-key/4751ea83-1469-411c-9cb8-68fd0ebe096c"
  8. Which activation key should I buy?

Which activation key should I buy?: Hello, I'm really confused about all the windows 10 activation keys, their validity and stuff. I saw a few places selling activation keys and I just need to know if I can use them to re activate windows when I upgrade my hardware (eg change motherboad, CPU). I read the MS...
  9. Win10 from Win7 activation key lost

Win10 from Win7 activation key lost: Hi everyone, I'll try to be as brief as possible with this matter: I used to have an old VAIO laptop back when Windows 10 was released, and there was the chance to update from my original activation of Windows 7. I did so, then gave this laptop to a realtive, and just got...
  10. Windows 10 Activation from win7/8 key

Windows 10 Activation from win7/8 key: Hey everyone, been lurking this forum for a while and thought id post this one to hopefully clear this question up. We all know that if you have a win7/8 installation, then its just a matter of upgrading it when the final release lands by using the little windows app next...