Windows 10: Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key.

Discus and support Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a new motherboard arriving in 7 days and i just want to be ready with the info i need to deactivate windows on the motherboard im using so i can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Richard_10110, May 14, 2022.

1. Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key.

I have a new motherboard arriving in 7 days and i just want to be ready with the info i need to deactivate windows on the motherboard im using so i can use my cd key on my new motherboard. iv only heard that this is something that will need to be done and im not 100% sure what the actual process is. im attempting to find youtube videos on the subject but also wanted to post here. any info will help.

:)

Richard_10110, May 14, 2022
  2. neilpzz Win User

Latest Windows Update invalidated my key

There's no problem with what you bought. What you have listed suggests you used a hard drive from another system that already had Windows 10 installed. (as you don't list a new hard drive) That installation of Windows 10 needs a licence key to activate,
    if you didn't buy a new licence to cover Windows 10 using the new motherboard there is a good chance that is why it now shows it is not activated.

A new motherboard = new device = new licence key. Unless you have purchased a retail licence key which can be transferred to a new device.

Do you have any other info about how Windows 10 was installed on the new PC.?

neilpzz, May 14, 2022
  3. Changing motherboard, buy new windows key?

Hi,

unfortunately preinstalled Windows is tied to motherboard and if replacement was made not by warranty one need to buy new LICENSE not key. Sorry.

Igor Leyko, May 14, 2022
  4. Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key.

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade after buying new motherboard de-activated windows

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate using your product key:

Andre Da Costa, May 14, 2022
Thema:

Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key.

1. Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key. - Similar Threads - Buying motherboard need

2. Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.: Hey I have a question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard, I have an activated version of windows 10 on the pc I'm currently using but I want to switch it to a new motherboard, I have my Microsoft account linked and in the activation tab in my settings it says...
  3. Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.: Hey I have a question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard, I have an activated version of windows 10 on the pc I'm currently using but I want to switch it to a new motherboard, I have my Microsoft account linked and in the activation tab in my settings it says...
  4. Question about transferring windows 10 to a new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key.: I have a new motherboard arriving in 7 days and i just want to be ready with the info i need to deactivate windows on the motherboard im using so i can use my cd key on my new motherboard. iv only heard that this is something that will need to be done and im not 100% sure...
  6. Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key.

Buying new motherboard and need info about transferring windows key.: I have a new motherboard arriving in 7 days and i just want to be ready with the info i need to deactivate windows on the motherboard im using so i can use my cd key on my new motherboard. iv only heard that this is something that will need to be done and im not 100% sure...
  7. About buying a new key !

About buying a new key !: I have just build a pc from retailer & now want to buy windows for pc Is OEM key legal ? & yes does it get lifetime future updates ? & suggest me which key I should get from the person who assembled my pc! my windows is Windows 10 pro! Please reply asap Thanks...
  8. Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard

Transfer Activation Key after new Motherboard: I built a PC a month ago and activated Windows 10 pro on it. Last week I had to replace the motherboard and now my key doesn't work. I called Microsoft support to transfer the key and they said the key was exhausted. I only used it once, but maybe it was used somehow before I...
  9. Question about transferring Windows OEM key from pre-built to new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about transferring Windows OEM key from pre-built to new motherboard.: I have a SkyTech pre-built with an OEM:DM key. I'm getting a new MB so I can overclock and get some better RAM. I've seen some conflicting info about this, but it does sound like I can transfer the key if I sign-in with my live account and tie the key to that, then add the...
  10. need infos about new features

in Windows 10 Support
    need infos about new features: what are meant for - isolated user mode - multipoint connector ?!?! searching on internet i dind't find anything simple and clear or how to use them in w10... thanks 31173