Windows 10: Buying Windows 10 from Microsoft for a new PC, installing and configuring guidance

Discus and support Buying Windows 10 from Microsoft for a new PC, installing and configuring guidance in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; Hi all I have just read MVP, Andrew De Costa's article on the difference between the Full Retail versions and the OEM Builders Pack for new PCs. I... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by MarkGoodliffe, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Buying Windows 10 from Microsoft for a new PC, installing and configuring guidance

Hi all

I have just read MVP, Andrew De Costa's article on the difference between the Full Retail versions and the OEM Builders Pack for new PCs.

I am planning to build new ultra high end, standalone workstation with an Intel Server MB, Xeon Gold CPUs, Nvidia GEForce 1080 ti GPU, Corsair AXI 1500 PSU, HT Omega sound board, 3-Way analogue speakers - generally the best and most reliable and current hardware available, all in a Maple and Teak plywood furniture cabinet! I am not a gamer. It will be used for DTP, SketchUp design work and maybe some audio and video editing and upscaling. This is my first build, so I am taking my time researching, planning and reading everything first. So for me I will go for the Full Retail for the flexibility it provides.

I was hoping an MVP would come back to me on 3 simple questions.

1. I have just come from Windows Store but can't find the info and page to buy an electronic version of Full Retail Windows 10 Pro - can you please post me a link?
    2. I see there is a workstation version of Windows 10 with ReFS that I believe was developed back in 2011. I need to learn more about this. Any guidance and links you can post would be very helpful.
    3. Lastly, does Microsoft have any guidance documents for installing Windows on new builds?

Many thanks all.

:)

MarkGoodliffe, Jan 17, 2019
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jan 17, 2019
  3. r.h.p Win User

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Jan 17, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

Buying Windows 10 from Microsoft for a new PC, installing and configuring guidance

So are you transferring your Windows install from your current PC then? Is that the goal here? My first questions with your current PC is if you're running an OEM version of the OS if it came with your PC. Or if you bought the OS separately. This could affect you being able to migrate 10 over...but you might be able to install 8/8.1 using the key...and installing and upgrading that way.

I'm assuming by your system specs you purchased 8.1 for it...if so, and you want to keep that license on your old PC...buy a new copy of 7/8/10 for the new PC. Otherwise, transfer it over...at worst you call Microsoft and get a computer voice and spend 10 minutes typing in a bunch of numbers to register with the new hardware.

Newer versions of Windows 10 ISO take 7 and 8/8.1 keys during installation (if 1511 ISO was re-released)...or are supposed to. This would make a clean install with a 7/8 key possible and was supposed to have happened...I honestly haven't been keeping track since they pulled the new ISO weeks ago. I upgraded and did a fresh install with it, but the PC already had 10 on it once...so it auto-activated.

At worst you gotta buy a copy of the OS, which at that point it might be cheaper to find a deal on 7 or 8/8.1 to upgrade to 10 from I would get Pro, no higher or lower IMHO.

I hope that helps. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

Buying Windows 10 from Microsoft for a new PC, installing and configuring guidance

1. Buying Windows 10 from Microsoft for a new PC, installing and configuring guidance - Similar Threads - Buying Microsoft installing

2. How to install windows 10 from dvd, onto new pc configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install windows 10 from dvd, onto new pc configuration: I just purchased new win 10 dvd for new motherboard, etc. I have SSD from older computer with 2 MBR partitions on it which I wish to become C: drive for new system. What should I do to the old SSD, prior to OS installation?...
  3. How to install windows 10 from dvd, onto new pc configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install windows 10 from dvd, onto new pc configuration: I just purchased new win 10 dvd for new motherboard, etc. I have SSD from older computer with 2 MBR partitions on it which I wish to become C: drive for new system. What should I do to the old SSD, prior to OS installation?...
  4. How to install windows 10 from dvd, onto new pc configuration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Microsoft guidance on planning for new capabilities in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft guidance on planning for new capabilities in Windows 10: If you're looking for guidance on how to plan for new capabilities in Windows—and tie the benefits of staying up to date to real value for your end users and your business—this is the post for you. Today I'm going to walk you through existing...
  6. New pc buy Windows again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New pc buy Windows again?: I just have a laptop with Windows 10 already installed (the laptop is new) and I want to build a gaming pc and assemble it myself. Now my question is if i have to buy Windows or if i can do it somehow? Neuer Pc nochmal Windows kaufen?
  7. To buy a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To buy a new PC: Ok so i need to build a Pc with good, fine settings like 4/8GB ram, 3.0 ghz processor and everything . Can somebody suggest me components???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-buy-a-new-pc/93cf2b3e-64cd-445d-b218-e8a58439c439
  8. Need guidance for buy licenses for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need guidance for buy licenses for Windows 10: Hi There..!! I purchased an old workstation without any hard disk. And, I installed windows 10 in it without buying any license. Now I would like to make my windows genuine with a genuine purchased license. Please guide me what license type I should buy which makes my...
  9. Guidance for configuring BitLocker to enforce software encryption

in Windows 10 News
    Guidance for configuring BitLocker to enforce software encryption: Microsoft is aware of reports of vulnerabilities in the hardware encryption of certain self-encrypting drives (SEDs). Customers concerned about this issue should consider using the software only encryption provided by BitLocker Drive Encryption™. On Windows computers with...
  10. Buying a new PC

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Buying a new PC: I will be purchasing a new PC next month. I use Todo Backup to create a system backup. Can I use the backup on a new SSD or would it be wise to do a clean install of Windows 10? I will uninstall the sound card driver and any other drivers that are obsolete because the new PC...