Windows 10: Bypassing Network Security at work

Discus and support Bypassing Network Security at work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello experts, I work at Underwriters Laboratories where we test all of the new electrical and safety equipment as it comes off the manufacturing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JDaniel310, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Bypassing Network Security at work

Hello experts,

I work at Underwriters Laboratories where we test all of the new electrical and safety equipment as it comes off the manufacturing line. My group tests the accuracy of smart energy meters, like the ones you have on the side of your house from the power company. We use accuracy measuring equipment to test the validity of manufacturers claims, then export the test report files to an Excel document.

Up until this point all of our computers have had access to the department Network drive and the exporting process has been relatively pain-free. Now that our computers are pushing 6-10 years old we're starting to get hard drive faults and losing precious data that we're supposed to save in case of auditing. At this point we believe it best to replace all of our laptops to ensure this doesn't happen again, however administrative protocol has changed since the last time we ordered computers. We also have to upgrade to Windows 10 for our new software licenses.

As it stands, new computers purchased have nearly all configurations locked and administrative rights only given to IT personnel for security reasons IF the computer is to be put on the department network drive. This is an issue for us as we have to be able to interface with client equipment via IPv4 and capable of installing client software. The enterprise license to allow access to the drive is also very expensive, pushing the cost of acquiring (7) new laptops outside of our financial means.

I know that alternatively I could maintain a single (or multiple) Network computers from existing laptops and use USB drives to transfer the data from the new non-network computers to the network computer, however is there any way that I could interface with a network computer automatically? I'm wondering if I could somehow link all of the non-network laptops to the network computer so that I can save the files directly to it, then upload them onto the network drive from that computer, all without breaching security. At least this way I wouldn't have to fumble with USB storage drives all the time.

Would there be any other viable means of data transfer? Keep in mind we don't want to use 3rd party storage (cloud or otherwise), the data needs to remain in our hands only as it contains sensitive intellectual property.

Thanks in advance,

Jackson

:)

JDaniel310, Jul 2, 2019
  2. DaveToms Win User

Broken security by bypassing lock screen on restart

Question:

Why does Windows bypass the lock screen when it restarts after a Windows update? I consider this a security design flaw. If a maintenance crew came by my home while I'm at work to do some home renovation upgrades but they left the
    front door unlocked when they finished, when I got home I'd wonder what on Earth they were thinking. I hope I've just missed a setting somewhere to disable this.

Three things I accept:

1. Locking my computer to protect my privacy.

2. Windows restarting after an update.

3. Windows automatically updating, which is frustrating but acceptable.

But I don't accept Windows bypassing the lock screen after an update.

Precondition:

Windows 10 is set up to require a password at sign in, both on startup and on the lock screen.

Steps to reproduce:

Step 1: Lock the computer.

Step 2: Leave the room.

Step 3: Wait for Windows to perform an automatic system update.

Step 4: Windows restarts automatically.

Problem 1: Windows bypasses the lock screen, instead signing in and showing the desktop.

Problem 2: Come home and book a doctor's appointment to deal with the stress of seeing my computer unlocked.

It's my first post in the community so suggestions about posting etiquette are welcome.

DaveToms, Jul 2, 2019
  3. d44ve Win User
    network security

Netgear Wireless Router Setup and Security
    The use of wireless routers and access points is allowed on the Lycoming College Resnet. If you do plan on setting up a wireless router it is your responsibility to properly configure and secure your wireless router for both your own personal privacy and overall network stability. On this page you will find instructions on how to properly setup your wireless router.

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Router
    Begin setup of your Netgear Wireless Router by first reading the instructions in the included manual, and following their guidelines for plugging in and initializing the access point. The first few steps in this guide should coincide with the information found in the manual, however we will follow up with important information on how to secure your wireless access point.
    After powering up the router, use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to one of the ports on it marked 1 through 4. Next open a web browser window on the connected computer and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. This will take you to the Netgear Smart Wizard welcome page, click OK to begin the configuration. The router will attempt to detect the type of connection you have and the next message you receive should be Dynamic IP (DHCP) Detected, click Next once you see this.
    Next you will enable the wireless capability of your router. In the dropdown box for the region where you are located select United States from the list. On this screen you should also change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from its default value to something unique so that your Base Station will not be confused with another. Click Next.
    You should now see a message confirming that your connection is working and wireless is enabled. However, your are not secured yet. Read the notes and click Done. Then direct your browser to http://www.routerlogin.net to continue the configuration. A window will pop up prompting you for your login and password, enter admin for the username and password for the password, then click OK.

Bypassing Network Security at work [​IMG]

Accessing the router settings through a web browser.

Once you have logged in you will see the main configuration page (shown above). Now click on the Wireless Settings at the left of the page. In order to password protect your wireless network select the WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) option under the Security Options and then under the Security Encryption (WEP) section that appears, select 128 bit next to Encryption Strength. Choose a password between 6 and 8 characters and type it into the Passphrase box under the Security Encryption (WEP) Key heading. Then click Generate. Finally click Apply. You may also select WPA encryption, however not all network cards support this, so check your documentation first.
    Next look for the Advanced section heading on the left side of the page and click on this Wireless Settings section. Disable the SSID broadcast option by unchecking the second box in this section and then click on the Setup Access List button.
    On this page (seen below) check the box to Turn Access Control On and click on the Apply button to save this setting.
    Now click on the Add button, this will display a Wireless Card Entry heading. This is where you will choose a name and enter a MAC Address, also known as Physical Address, for each computer that you will be using to connect to your wireless network. If you don't know how to get this information follow the steps here. Once you have finished, click the Apply button.

Bypassing Network Security at work [​IMG]

Creating an Access Control List will prevent unauthorized computers from using your connection.

Finally click on the Set Password link on the left of the page under the Maintenance heading. Change the default password for accessing your wireless router setup pages by first typing the old one, password, into the appropriate field and then entering a new one into the New Password field and confirming it. This should be a different password than the one you setup for WEP encryption, but should also be at least 6 to 8 characters in length. Click the Apply button.

Your Netgear Wireless Router is now secure.

d44ve, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Boatvan Win User

Bypassing Network Security at work

Did our Epson printer get hacked?

Another question, is this on a home network or a work network? The steps @eidairaman1 listed are always a good first step. If this is on a work network you manage, I'd be much more concerned than the home one. It is possible someone is screwing with you, but malware could also be the culprit.

Boatvan, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

Bypassing Network Security at work

1. Bypassing Network Security at work - Similar Threads - Bypassing Network Security

2. Bypass a networked PC Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bypass a networked PC Login: I bought a used PC for home use and it is trying to connect to the previous network. I have no way of knowing the login credentials. Is there a way to bypass this login so that I can use this PC off of this network? I think it is running windows 10....
  3. Bypass a networked PC Login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bypass a networked PC Login: I bought a used PC for home use and it is trying to connect to the previous network. I have no way of knowing the login credentials. Is there a way to bypass this login so that I can use this PC off of this network? I think it is running windows 10....
  4. Bypass a networked PC Login

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. bypass "lets connect you to a network"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bypass "lets connect you to a network": Hi,I'm trying to bypass the screen "lets connect you to a network" to install windows 10 on my machine. I've tried 3 different ways as follows:ALT + F4 - My machine just tries to connect to the internet even though I'm not connected to any internet connection.SHIFT + F10 -...
  6. bypass "lets connect you to a network"

bypass "lets connect you to a network": Hi,I'm trying to bypass the screen "lets connect you to a network" to install windows 10 on my machine. I've tried 3 different ways as follows:ALT + F4 - My machine just tries to connect to the internet even though I'm not connected to any internet connection.SHIFT + F10 -...
  7. bypass "lets connect you to a network"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. bypass secure boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bypass secure boot: I made changes in windows registry that some websites tell for bypassing secure boot but still windows 11 installation dosnt start. WHY? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bypass-secure-boot/69c6ea8f-8f07-4b88-a65f-353eef374f5e
  9. bypass secure boot

bypass secure boot: I made changes in windows registry that some websites tell for bypassing secure boot but still windows 11 installation dosnt start. WHY? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bypass-secure-boot/69c6ea8f-8f07-4b88-a65f-353eef374f5e
  10. Bypassing "Not Secure Connection" Error on Browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Bypassing "Not Secure Connection" Error on Browsers: I have set up a test website with a self signed certificate on a VPS server. The site should be accessed by https://serverIPaddress/admin Since the website has a self signed SSL certificate, Firefox and IE etc are blocking my access to the site and throwing the following...