Windows 10: C drive and can't use my administrator account

Discus and support C drive and can't use my administrator account in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I can't access my files in my c\drive and can't access my administrator account to get ownership... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ChristinaPyle, Oct 15, 2021.

1. C drive and can't use my administrator account

I can't access my files in my c\drive and can't access my administrator account to get ownership

:)

ChristinaPyle, Oct 15, 2021
  2. ArielCss Win User

Lost access rights to C drive in Windows 10, even from administrator account!

Thanks for your prompt response and for the clarifications, Frederik.

Regarding your questions:

• Which folders are affected?
      • I cannot access C: drive at all. I can only use other disks. That's the main issue; I'd like to recover access, be able to run those programs that need files in C:, etc.
    • The correct command would be takeown /f C:\ /r. You must run it under elevated privileges.
      • Thanks, but I've run the command using both my account (which is an administrator account) and the hidden Administrator account, in Safe Mode, and in all cases I've got an "access denied" message. The /r is just for
        recursivity, but it didn't work either.
    • In your case I am happy to report that your files are safe.
      • Thanks. I know they are safe, but my concern is which solution can give me access to C: drive again, without having to format C: and lose my files. That's what I meant.
    So, which would be your recommended next step for me try and recover the C: drive access.

Thanks!

ArielCss, Oct 15, 2021
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Oct 15, 2021
  4. ArielCss Win User

C drive and can't use my administrator account

Lost access rights to C drive in Windows 10, even from administrator account!

Hi everybody,

I'll explain my situation, for if anyone can help me sort it out.

In my Windows 10 I was using a personal account (domain "desktop-[pc-code]\[myuser]) that was labelled as administrator, when I unfortunately removed all access rights to C: drive from Properties -> Security.

Since then, I've tried the following solutions that I've found in other threads:

1. Try to re-establish rights from Properties -> Security
      • I cannot do because my Security tab now doesn't show the same options, and there are a few "change" buttons which don't do anything when clicked
    2. Try to enable hidden administrator account with net user administrator /active:yes
      • I couldn't do it from my personal account due to permissions, but I could do it by restarting from "Update & Recovery" and using the console prompt (Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options). Once active, I log in in Safe Mode with this hidden Administrator account
        but I have the same problem. Even if it is an administrator account, it cannot modify C: drive security permissions and it returns access denied when double clicking C: drive in My Computer.
    3. From Administrador account, in cmd prompt, try using takeown command over C: drive ( takeown /f C:\ )
      • It returns "access denied"
    4. Try restoring the system to an older state from recovery options
      • There are no restoring points in the system to go back to

I'm running out of solutions here. Any other idea before having to reinstall the whole system and losing all files?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

ArielCss, Oct 15, 2021
Thema:

C drive and can't use my administrator account

1. C drive and can't use my administrator account - Similar Threads - drive can't administrator

2. Is there anyway to unlock an administrator account and the C: drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there anyway to unlock an administrator account and the C: drive?: I got a used pc that has an administrator account I can’t unlock and the C: drive is also locked due to this. Is there anyway to get these both unlocked? Or if the hard drive is replaced will it unlock the C: drive as well if it’s embedded in the OS?...
  3. Is there anyway to unlock an administrator account and the C: drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there anyway to unlock an administrator account and the C: drive?: I got a used pc that has an administrator account I can’t unlock and the C: drive is also locked due to this. Is there anyway to get these both unlocked? Or if the hard drive is replaced will it unlock the C: drive as well if it’s embedded in the OS?...
  4. C drive and can't use my administrator account

C drive and can't use my administrator account: I can't access my files in my c\drive and can't access my administrator account to get ownership https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-and-cant-use-my-administrator-account/fc23e1b6-9798-4c08-b29e-d1497628815c
  5. C drive and can't use my administrator account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C drive and can't use my administrator account: I can't access my files in my c\drive and can't access my administrator account to get ownership https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-and-cant-use-my-administrator-account/fc23e1b6-9798-4c08-b29e-d1497628815c
  6. Administrator and c drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Administrator and c drive: Good day, so I'm the only administrator on my laptop but I can update, reinstall, restore...... Windows 10 my C drive is locked value shows 0 space I've tried command prompts I've tried everything with no luck even did the verification on Microsoft wedsite but still nothing...
  7. Using administrator account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Using administrator account: Is it necessary to use the administrator account if I am the only person using the computer and it is a personal computer. Is there any advantage to having an administrator account. I think it is causing me some problems as I am not sure what settings are going where.....
  8. Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account

Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account: I can't use any of the panes (calendar, weather, store, etc.) on Windows 10. I receive a message "this app can't open. Mail can't be opened using the built in administration account. How to resolve this issue quickly and reliably? 32598
  9. Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account: I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now I can't open Settings using my account (which is an administrator account). I apparently have to use a different account, but I don't have one, and with no access to Settings, I can't make another account. I tried booting into...
  10. "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

in Windows 10 Support
    "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account.": Hi all, Working on a Win10 touchscreen desktop for a friend who just got scammed by one those fake "call this number, your computer is infected" ads. She foolishly let somebody from Indian remote into her computer and install some fake "weather" software which just caused...