Windows 10: C: drive and DATA drive

Discus and support C: drive and DATA drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I have had my current computer for a little while now, and I just now... I know silly me. Discovered a 1.8TB hard drive and its called DATA and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BowenEveritt, Jul 3, 2020.

1. C: drive and DATA drive

So I have had my current computer for a little while now, and I just now... I know silly me. Discovered a 1.8TB hard drive and its called DATA and I really would like to shift my current install to that drive, but I do not now how, so I have decided to ask here. I have watched tutorials about changing the install, but the DATA doesn't display a model, it just says under properties: "Generic STORAGE USB Device". So I don't really know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

:)

BowenEveritt, Jul 3, 2020

2. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Jul 3, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

Macrium Rescue disk can be used to convert from MBR to GPT and vice versa without doing a fresh install of Windows.

1. Download Rescue6.1.1081X64.iso - Google Drive and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk. Skip this step if you've already created the Macrium Rescue disk.
    2. Download: BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip - Google Drive . Unzip to an external or an internal HD
      NOTE:
      This is a copy of the first 3 partitions of my current Windows 10 x64 (450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI and 16MB MSR)
    3. Boot up Macrium Rescue disk and create a backup of your current Windows to another internal/external HD. It serves 2 purposes: you'd have a backup of your current Windows in case things go wrong and then use it to restore the C drive on the next steps.
    4. Next, switch the BIOS to UEFI and use Macrium to restore the first 3 partitions downloaded in step 2 to your current MBR Windows. No need to convert or Format, Macrium will do it.
    5. Again with Macrium, select the backup image from step 3, and copy back the C drive after the 3 partitions.
      After this step, you should have: 450MB, 100MB, 16MB and C drive (GPT partition scheme)
    6. From Macrium, click on Fix the Windows Boot Problems
    7. Reboot. Your Windows should be in UEFI mode.

topgundcp, Jul 3, 2020
  4. C: drive and DATA drive

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown C: drive and DATA drive :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jul 3, 2020
Thema:

C: drive and DATA drive

1. C: drive and DATA drive - Similar Threads - drive DATA drive

2. recover deleted data in Drive C

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recover deleted data in Drive C: Hello Team,We were resetting Outlook, but missed taking backup of .ost data file.Is there a tool within Windows or any help from Windows that can recover the lost file.Thanks & Regards....
  3. recover deleted data in Drive C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recover deleted data in Drive C: Hello Team,We were resetting Outlook, but missed taking backup of .ost data file.Is there a tool within Windows or any help from Windows that can recover the lost file.Thanks & Regards....
  4. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  5. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  6. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. New PC with fast c-drive and data d-drive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New PC with fast c-drive and data d-drive.: There has been so much discussion around how to set this up for max efficiency. I provide support for friends and family who are not as knowledgeable as me. To make things easy for me to debug and for my SIL to operate, I want to set up his system as follows, please just...
  8. Tiny C: drive, humungous 'Data' drive

Tiny C: drive, humungous 'Data' drive: Before the new update I started getting messages about low space, and I have a 1TB hard drive. So I started checking around, shocked that I was getting these messages. I found that my C: drive was less than 200GB and a 'Data' drive was over 900GB. How does this happen, and...
  9. Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D

Storing data on Drive C, versus Drive D: I have 1.22GB of 118GB available on the C Drive of my 2016 HP laptop, where everything gets stored by default. So pretty close to maxed out. But my D Drive has 854GB of 918GB available. How can I shift everything to the D Drive? Could making such change cause the laptop to...
  10. GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive: Newbie to the Windows 10 world. I just purchased a 6 TB drive, plugged it into my Windows 7 computer, and it worked fine for a system backup using Macrium prior to the Windows 10 conversion. Now am converted to Windows 10, and reading that I need the large drives converted...