Windows 10: C drive crashed, programs installed on D

Discus and support C drive crashed, programs installed on D in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a crash I couldn't recover from, so I had to reinstall Windows onto my C drive. My C drive was a 250 Gig SSD, but I had issues with room, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WilliamMcGowen, Nov 10, 2018.

1. C drive crashed, programs installed on D

I had a crash I couldn't recover from, so I had to reinstall Windows onto my C drive.

My C drive was a 250 Gig SSD, but I had issues with room, so I pretty much started installing programs to my D drive.

I couldn't recover from the crash by any means other than doing a clean install of Windows. (Wasted days trying to avoid it.) Side note, I decided that if I was going to do a clean install I would just upgrade to a 1 TB SSD.

Anyway I now have a clean install, updated with the most recent updates, and it seems to be running fine. But now I am looking at the task of reinstalling a bunch of programs, some of them quite large. I am simply looking for some way to shortcut the process. The programs all exist, my computer is just not aware of it.

I did start up Battle.net, and after an update it now is installed on my system. I just need to put a link on my desktop. But I tested out Starcraft II, and it does run, but takes forever to start up. And my system still doesn't recognize it. This is a massive enough program that I really don't want to do a full install, and then I still have Diablo III, and Warcraft II. My other giant project is an older Adobe suite.

So does anyone know a way of short-cutting the reinstallation process, or making my system recognize the programs?

:)

WilliamMcGowen, Nov 10, 2018
  2. Cleats Win User

D Drive Installation

I need to install my programs to the D Drive but I'm uncertain of all the procedures I should take before starting that process.

I think the drive is ready to go but I still have questions like

Should I create a Programs folder for the D Drive and do I just select the D drive for all installation options. Like Installation and folders and etc .....

Do I need to change the storage options or create my own My Documents on the D Drive.

For Example - My 3D software loads my content into My Documents. I guess I can re direct these files to the D Drive also ?

I guess it shouldn't be rocket science but I just haven't installed programs off the c drive before.

Do you have Any Suggestions , tips or tutorials you can recommend ?

Cleats, Nov 10, 2018
  3. Maryssa22 Win User
    Change program download drive from C to D

My program default download drive is C, but it has much less storage space on it than my D drive. How can I change the default drive for program downloads to D so as to keep my C drive faster and functioning well.

Maryssa22, Nov 10, 2018
  4. DieNand Win User

C drive crashed, programs installed on D

Settings not saving for all programs installed on D:

So recently my Windows 10 install crashed so I had to do a clean install on my SSD. (C: Drive)

Normally I install my programs on the HDD (D: Drive). I cleaned out all the old programs along with the reinstall of Windows 10 so both drives are now clean, but now any program I install on the HDD(D: Drive) either fails to run entirely or they start up every time as if they have never ran before with all settings I had set in the previous session reset to default settings.

I'm thinking this is some kind of permission conflict or something between this Windows install and the one that crashed, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it as I've never had a problem like this before.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
    Thanks.

DieNand, Nov 10, 2018
Thema:

C drive crashed, programs installed on D

1. C drive crashed, programs installed on D - Similar Threads - drive crashed programs

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  4. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?: HelloI Have my C: drive 120 GB and my D Drive 335 GBmy C: Drive is now only on 35 GB free, and this is programs aloneIs there away that I move old programs to D: drive? even if I have to uninstall them and reinstall them??Also, in PC health check, I found the following photo,...
  6. Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?: HelloI Have my C: drive 120 GB and my D Drive 335 GBmy C: Drive is now only on 35 GB free, and this is programs aloneIs there away that I move old programs to D: drive? even if I have to uninstall them and reinstall them??Also, in PC health check, I found the following photo,...
  7. Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can't install some programs to D Drive? (Chrome to D Drive)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install some programs to D Drive? (Chrome to D Drive)?: I have a 120GB M.2 PCIE and I want it reserved for windows 10 and it's updates, which is C Drive But I want to install Adobe in my 1 2TB HDD,which is D Drive. I've made the folders for Program Files and Program Files (x86) I've divided the 2TB So I have 2 different...
  9. Can I install computer programs into d drive. My c drive is full and d drive is empty. What...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I install computer programs into d drive. My c drive is full and d drive is empty. What...: c drive full. d drive almost empty. Can I install computer programs into d drive? Or how do I get my c drive larger? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-install-computer-programs-into-d-drive-my-c/925c40e4-2225-4670-9a4c-c0052f87bc8a
  10. D drive installations instead of C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    D drive installations instead of C drive: During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that certain apps absolutely refuse to offer any alternative installation location besides the C drive (system drive). No such dialogue...