Windows 10: C: drive folder sharing?

Discus and support C: drive folder sharing? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all - I have a Win10 desktop for gaming/more complicated work and a HP Laptop running Linux Mint MATE 18.3. I'm having an issue with folder sharing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Darkstrike, Jan 14, 2018.

1. C: drive folder sharing?

Hi all - I have a Win10 desktop for gaming/more complicated work and a HP Laptop running Linux Mint MATE 18.3. I'm having an issue with folder sharing on Win10?

I've got two folders shared from my Win10 machine - the Shared Folder (which is at the default Windows location where I just copy stuff that I want to transfer over, etc) and my Music folder full of my MP3s (the Music folder is at C:/Music) that is shared so I have access to it from my Linux laptop.

The Shared Folder works fine and I can access and read and write to it, no problem on my Mint laptop using Samba, but accessing the Music folder gives me an error:

C: drive folder sharing? [​IMG]

As far as I can tell, the permissions on my Music folder are set the same way there are on the Shared Folder? I.E. I went into the Sharing options for it on Win10 and clicked Advanced Sharing - gave it a name, checked the 'Share this folder' box, and added a Share permission group of 'Everyone' with 'Full Control'...yet I still don't have access...?

Any thoughts or suggestions as to why this might be?

:)

Darkstrike, Jan 14, 2018
  2. RA4953 Win User

Copy of external hard drive and all its folders in the C drive.

Thank you for replying,

Perhaps my question /description was not clear. The contents of the external drive, let’s call it N, are not in the C drive tree as files or folders. The N drive is duplicated with its drive letter and contents as a C drive folder. Deleting
    from that folder on the C drive also deletes from the external drive. And visa versa.

RA4953, Jan 14, 2018
  3. awaisniaz Win User
    destination folder access denied message while copying into or out from system drive C

copy to C drive folder and prompt also appears even when i copy or move some file from within a folder in c drive to outside to C drive

awaisniaz, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

C: drive folder sharing?

You set share permission but then you need to set NTFS for the folder as that will stop access. C drive has a hidden share of c$ which is an admin share

Samuria, Jan 14, 2018
  5. I've noted the C$ Share on Linux as it is visible, but does nothing.

How would I go about setting NTFS for my Music folder to get access for myself? Thanks for the reply!

Darkstrike, Jan 14, 2018
  6. Sorry for the bump, but I don't know what you mean by this? I know of the hidden shared folder for C:/ but don't know what you mean by setting NTFS? NTFS is a file system...?

Darkstrike, Jan 17, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
  8. C: drive folder sharing?

As mentioned in my original post:
    As far as I can tell, I've already done this I think?

Edited with screenshot:

Darkstrike, Jan 17, 2018
  9. *Bump* Sorry to bump, but still having this issue and as far as I can tell, I have everything set correctly! *Sad

Darkstrike, Jan 29, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    I had to add vers=2.0 to /etc/fstab after last update to connect to windows shares as smb 1 was turned off by default in windows.

Like this (scroll to the right - it is in red) Code: # # /etc/fstab: static file system information # # <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass> UUID=b023985e-c449-4301-ae92-582e6d3c39b3 / btrfs defaults,compress 0 0 //192.168.1.100/Downloads /mnt/MacBook cifs credentials=/root/secret.txt,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,nounix,nofail,vers=2.0,x-systemd.device-timeout=1 0 0[/quote]

11. Sorry for the late reply - unfortunately, that won't help me. I only access my shares when needed, not from boot. Also, my other Windows shares are working fine, it's only the one located directly in C:/ that will not let me in from my Linux machines (C:/Music).

Darkstrike, Feb 18, 2018
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I've given up on Windows Networking -- sometimes it works and then after an update shares don't work again. Windows Networking IMO has been the really weak link in Windows for as far back as I can remember. Even as far back as Windows 3.11 for workgroups. !!

If you have any sort of Linux NAS - to get access to your shared directories from Windows simply use the actual LAN address of your NAS instead of the hostname .That always seems to work.

I still have problems though accessing WINDOWS FROM the NAS but since I rarely need that I'm hoping somebody else will have a fix soon. This stuff has worked previously but after W10 updates it is broken again and all previous suggestions like disabling / re-enabling SMB etc don't make the slightest bit of difference.

You can get Windows access by a convoluted mount -t cifs thing with the actual IP address of your Windows machine but as I said for me accessing Windows FROM my NAS isn't a problem as I rarely if ever need it. Accessing the NAS FROM Windows is a much more required option for me and mounting the share via an IP address in Windows (connect Network drive) does the trick.

for example : accessing Windows share FROM NAS. (note if you need write access then add rw in the options --I'm only using Windows shares for READ access for the NAS.

I often wonder how hackers can get into a network when you can't even browse YOUR OWN NETWORK SHARES !!!!easily.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 19, 2018
  13. Barman58 Win User

The C$ share was depreciated some years ago as it was vulnerable to malware attacks, It was a known access point, I seem to recall it's not been allowed since Windows 7.

The best way to set up shares is where windows expects to find them - under the user folder, easiest way of all is to move music files into the Public Music folder which is automatically set up to be shared generally, You can also use your personal Music folder but you would need to share this yourself

Barman58, Feb 19, 2018
  14. If it was deprecated, why am I able to access my C:/Music Windows share from other Windows PCs over the network? It is only my Linux machines I am unable to access it from...?
    @jimbo45 - no NAS, unfortunately!

Darkstrike, Feb 19, 2018
  15. Berton Win User
    The drive letter plus the $ sign will show in Linux [Mint] when mapping a share on my Win10 computer as in C$ and D$ for the internal drive with 2 partitions and F$, G$, and H$ for the USB drives attached to it. That does not apply to the 2 NAS drives I have connected to my Router by Ethernet cable. I Map the Public Folder on those 2 drives which show as formatted as CIFS. On Windows the 2 drives show as NTFS formatted.
    [Yes, the PrntScrn key works on some versions of Linux.] I frequently Map those Folders on computers I work on whether connected to the Router Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi running WinXP, Win7, Win10RTM, Win10IP, Linux Mint. Used to use macOS until the motherboard decided to go bad, not worth the expense to fix or get another.

Berton, Feb 19, 2018
Thema:

1. C: drive folder sharing? - Similar Threads - drive folder sharing

2. Shared folders on network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared folders on network drive: I have tried and still cannot delete shared folders on my network drive. I uploaded 4 screen shots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folders-on-network-drive/d0e3243e-712b-48c9-8c11-76d17b7568d0
  3. Shared folders on network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared folders on network drive: I have tried and still cannot delete shared folders on my network drive. I uploaded 4 screen shots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-folders-on-network-drive/d0e3243e-712b-48c9-8c11-76d17b7568d0
  4. Shared folders on network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Username folder in drive C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Username folder in drive C: Hello,I want to change my user folder name in C:/User with no other issue, is there any way to do that?I have tried renaming in the registry key, but then win10 requires me to login again - I'm ok with that - but I have to reinstall all my app : is there any way to change...
  6. Shared Folder on External Drive No Longer Shared

Shared Folder on External Drive No Longer Shared: I shared a folder on external drive. I also have a shared folder on the PC that the external drive is connected to. Twice now I've gone to access the shared folder on the external drive, and it wouldn't connect. So then I would access the PC in question via "\\MyPCName",...
  7. Share C drive

Share C drive: I have a second drive connected and can share that When I try to share the C drive or any folders on that drive it says you do not have permission to access Y can I share other drives on that comp but not the C drive Thanks Rick 156022
  8. Weird folder on C: drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird folder on C: drive: [ATTACH] Hello Any ideas why that folder appeared on my C: drive? I scanned it and it doesn't seems to be virus https://preview.redd.it/f10gjs5yfsr41.png?width=363&format=png&auto=webp&s=9ecccb35208609238282ad8769e2e39aedb7e6b8 submitted by /u/Adewi0 [link]...
  9. i want to share a folder in c drive

i want to share a folder in c drive: I have shares one folder saved in c drive, but not able to click the same on network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-share-a-folder-in-c-drive/11464186-931c-47ff-9ccb-98eea4c49ea0
  10. Unable to Access to Share Drive or C$

Unable to Access to Share Drive or C$: Facing below issue unable to access to the PC share folder but able to remote and Ping to the PC, not even can use via IP address, but the PC can open others PC share folder or C$. That PC is using Window 7 Pro [ATTACH]...