Windows 10: C: Drive full D: Drive Empty

Discus and support C: Drive full D: Drive Empty in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I recently noticed my pc freezing and crashing and I believe it is due to me running out of storage. I found another thread which said that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Will Weis, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Will Weis Win User

C: Drive full D: Drive Empty

Hello, I recently noticed my pc freezing and crashing and I believe it is due to me running out of storage. I found another thread which said that I should shrink/delete the empty drive and then extend the other but when I try to extend it the button is grayed out. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

:)

Will Weis, Dec 24, 2020

2. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Dec 24, 2020
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Dec 24, 2020
  4. C: Drive full D: Drive Empty

how to merge c drive and d drive

It depends on a couple things.

If you have two separate physical C and D drives, you can't merge them.

If the D drive is a partition (not a drive) and its to the right of C:\ in Disk Management, you can right click C:\ then click Extend.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Take a screenshot then post in a reply here.

If the layout is similar to how I described it, try the following. Make sure important data is backed up if there is any.

Select the D:\ partition

Right click the ‘D:\’ in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (C:\). Right click the System volume and click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

C: Drive full D: Drive Empty

1. C: Drive full D: Drive Empty - Similar Threads - Drive full Drive

2. C drive is full. D drive is empty. Why? How do I manage this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive is full. D drive is empty. Why? How do I manage this?: I just need help in managing the C and D drives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-is-full-d-drive-is-empty-why-how-do-i/67e0bbf3-3418-4a24-b4b9-2e4f6402e0f4
  3. C drive is full. D drive is empty. Why? How do I manage this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive is full. D drive is empty. Why? How do I manage this?: I just need help in managing the C and D drives https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-is-full-d-drive-is-empty-why-how-do-i/67e0bbf3-3418-4a24-b4b9-2e4f6402e0f4
  4. Make empty G drive OS when C drive is full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make empty G drive OS when C drive is full: My OS on C drive is full and I want to make the much larger G drive my boot drive. Issue is that I cannot delete anything on the C drive. I uninstall programs and they stay put. Since the C is full, the clean Windows install won't download so I am stuck in a circle. I can't...
  5. C drive full, how to move some to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive full, how to move some to D drive: How can I move some GB's from C to external D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-full-how-to-move-some-to-d-drive/39a360f4-8762-46e2-a10a-ba27246f6111"
  6. Can I install computer programs into d drive. My c drive is full and d drive is empty. What...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I install computer programs into d drive. My c drive is full and d drive is empty. What...: c drive full. d drive almost empty. Can I install computer programs into d drive? Or how do I get my c drive larger? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-install-computer-programs-into-d-drive-my-c/925c40e4-2225-4670-9a4c-c0052f87bc8a
  7. C: Drive almost full but d rive empty

C: Drive almost full but d rive empty: The c drivie was full and my d drive was empty, when i tried to download something it said i dont have any more storage but my d drive did. i dont know how to change the files to go to the d drive...
  8. C drive full, D drive empty

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C drive full, D drive empty: My C drive has 103 GB while my D drive has 931 GB, meanwhile the C drive is where everything is installed and the D drive is basically empty (924 GB free). This doesn't make any sense. How do I get my C drive to have all the space that my D drive has?...
  9. Computer running slow, C drive almost full, D drive empty

Computer running slow, C drive almost full, D drive empty: I've been researching and there's a lot of different solutions. Would appreciate a more specific solution, don't want to mess anything up. Here's a shot of my Disk Management. I'm wondering if I can have the operating system run on C and move other files/programs to D. Or...
  10. C Drive Full, D Drive Empty, Each on Separate Disks, and Need Space

in Windows 10 Support
    C Drive Full, D Drive Empty, Each on Separate Disks, and Need Space: I need to download new Nvidia drivers, and it automatically tries to download in my (OS) C: drive, and the launcher doesn't provide an option (as far as I can tell, even when doing custom installation) to select which drive to install the new drivers -- it just automatically...