Windows 10: C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct?

Discus and support C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have attached an image of my Disk Management screen. Disk 0 doesn't look right to me. Is there a problem here? if there is, how do I correct this? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gator5000e, Aug 31, 2015.

1. C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct?

I have attached an image of my Disk Management screen. Disk 0 doesn't look right to me. Is there a problem here? if there is, how do I correct this? I am running W10 and the C drive is a Samsung SSD drive. Thanks for any thoughts.

C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct? [​IMG]

:)

Gator5000e, Aug 31, 2015

2. How to make c drive partition win 10I

I JUST BOUGHT A HP AY004TX LAPTOP WITH WINDOWS 10. IT HAS ONLY C DRIVE AND I MADE PARTITION 2 DRIVE BUT MY C DRIVE STILL HAS 500GB SPACE HOW CAN I MAKE IT PARTITION GET MY STORAGE SPACE DIVIDED INTO ATLEAST 3 DRIVES.

VeereshNegaluramath, Aug 31, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    What partition for clean installation of Windows 10 64-bit should be used?

A clean install should be done to the C drive. This drive typically is called the SYSTEM drive or the Local Disk drive.

A quick guide through the maze:

1- In the binary system, "0" is the first number. That's why the first hard drive is Drive 0.

2- A hard drive can be divided ("partitioned") into two or more areas called partitions. If a hard drive is not partitioned, it is said to have only one partition.

Your computer has a single hard drive - Drive 0 - which has been divided into two partitions: Partition1 and Partition 2, But why - you may ask - is the first partition not Partition 0? Before the first partition starts, there's space on the hard drive to
    store technical data ('metadata') about the hard drive.

Clear as mud? Watch out, it's gonna get worse:

3- Each partition is commonly associated with a letter. Windows is usually installed in the first partition of the first hard drive. This is the C partition, or the C drive, if the hard drive only has one partition.

(You may ask: What are the A and B drives? Those letters are no longer used - they're part of computing history.)

4- In addition to a letter, you can optionally assign a name ('label') to each partition. The C drive or partition is traditionally called the System drive or the Local Disk drive. You can give it any name you like, or no name. But it's always a good idea
    to label each partition. The letters can become re-arranged, but the labels always stay in the same place.

Here's a clean install bonus tip for no extra charge: If you format the C drive before do a clean install, you won't have a Windows.old folder on your hard drive taking up space for the next 30 days.

Have fun.

BulldogXX, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct?

Looks quite normal to me, just like my partitions, I'd just leave it alone to avoid any problems.

Berton, Aug 31, 2015
  5. OK, thank you. I just saw that the Recovery Partition was almost as large as the C partition and that might be problematic.

I am also having 0x81000019 Backup errors and thought this might be a reason why.

Gator5000e, Aug 31, 2015
  6. otisdog Win User
    I have a Samsung SSD also and here's what mine looks like - MBR partition scheme. This is with a clean install after doing the upgrade

otisdog, Aug 31, 2015
  7. slyphnier Win User
    do you upgrading the OS ?

default partition for fresh install Windows10 is 2
    1 is your os partion (c*Smile
    2 is system reserved which is 500mb by default

i think the data partition is either backup or from previous installation

slyphnier, Aug 31, 2015
  8. C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct?

Yes, I upgraded to W10; I did not do a fresh install. I was concerned as the Data partition is 100MB; C is 930MB and the third is 845MB and says Recovery Partition. The Recovery Partition is practically the size of the entire C drive. I didn't think that sounded right. As you cans tell, I am quite the nube here.

Gator5000e, Aug 31, 2015
  9. otisdog Win User
    Your C drive is 930 Gigabytes
    Jim

otisdog, Aug 31, 2015
  10. Wow, do I feel like an idiot. Sorry all that I can't read these days. I do appreciate all your replies.

I will look elsewhere in the forum for the backup issues.

Gator5000e, Aug 31, 2015
  11. slyphnier Win User
    i think that 100mb data partition is probably migration data left over
    as why windows leaving 845mb, i am not sure

well you got many hdd and have enough space anyway
    why dont just backup (especially your user folder)
    and do fresh install

although upgrade process with windows10 is all good
    but i still prefer do work and clean install when moving to new OS

slyphnier, Aug 31, 2015
  12. Thanks. I can't get the backup to run successfully. That is what actually brought me here in the first place.

Gator5000e, Aug 31, 2015
  13. C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct?

Last question on the C drive. I installed Macrium Reflect to use as a backup program and when the program opened, it showed the C drive as seen in this picture. This looks funky to me. I don't know what that grey box/partition represents and the fourth box/partition on the right looks like a duplicate of the box/partition. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct? [​IMG]

Gator5000e, Sep 2, 2015
  14. AddRAM Win User
    That is Macrium ? Looks odd. But I haven`t installed it on 10 yet, no need to *Smile

No clue why it`s showing 93 GB as blank.

AddRAM, Sep 2, 2015
  15. larc919 Win User
    Looks as if Macrium is seeing 93.15Gb of unallocated space. You may want to check your C partition for errors. If there are none, suggest you download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard and see what it shows.

larc919, Sep 2, 2015
Thema:

C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct?

1. C Drive Has 3 Partitions - Is This Correct? - Similar Threads - Drive Has Partitions

2. Recovering Partitioned C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Partitioned C Drive: Hello, I was under the incorrect assumption that my colleague's computer had two HDDs and I went ahead and unplugged the HDD from the computer because I wanted to transfer my colleague's extra drive to a new computer. It unfortunately seems that the two HDD's was actually a...
  3. Partitioning of C Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning of C Drive: I have 210 GB free space with a C drive of 251 GB. I have been trying to create a separate partition of 100 GB and 151 GB will be left on C drive. I find that shrink volume is only 1.50 GB. Pease help me if it is possible to partition and what steps do I need to follow....
  4. Partitioning of C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitioning of C Drive: I have 210 GB free space with a C drive of 251 GB. I have been trying to create a separate partition of 100 GB and 151 GB will be left on C drive. I find that shrink volume is only 1.50 GB. Pease help me if it is possible to partition and what steps do I need to follow....
  5. Partitioning of C Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. My C Drive has been partitioned!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My C Drive has been partitioned!: This might have been caused by something I downloaded - silly me - or not, I really don't know.All of a sudden, my PC won't boot, and tells me there is no accessible boot device. I can run troubleshooting and get to the command prompt.I have unplugged all the USB hard drives,...
  7. Partition of the drive c

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partition of the drive c: I have purchased a laptop with memory 1 TB, NOW IN C drive 908 Gb in whcih 883 free available in c drive, now i want to make partition of c drive like on c drive 200 GB AND remaining in d and e drive each 340Gb , but when shrinking the existing drive showing the fillowing...
  8. c drive partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    c drive partition: Hi I'm using DELL Vostro 5468. it came preinstalled with windows 10. I got 405 GB free (out of 462 GB ) in my C drive. I wish to use 200 GB for Ubuntu which I'm going to use with dual boot. The issue is I cant shrink the C drive , when I try to shrink it says only 1.2 GB...
  9. C drive partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive partition: I recently bought a new laptop, which has windows 10 home single language inbuilt. It has only C drive and no other partitions at the time of purchase. Now I want to make C into more partitions, But it is not possible to split the C drive. I have tried so many times by Disk...
  10. Partitions on C Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partitions on C Drive: I am not sure how or when this occurred but I somehow seem to have ended up with 2 Healthy (recovery partition) both of which are different sizes. [img] I assume I don't need both, but how do I determine which is being used? Anyone?? TIA 45965