Windows 10: C: drive has been moved

Discus and support C: drive has been moved in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Genie85, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Genie85 Win User

C: drive has been moved

My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?

:)

Genie85, Jan 20, 2022
  2. Zaki_j Win User

C drive full, how to move some to D drive

Hi Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that your computer is running out of space and you would like to move the data from C drive to D Drive.

• When you say “How can I move some GB's from C to external D drive?“ do you want to free space on the c drive or do you want to extent the C partition?

If you want to free up space on C drive, I suggest to follow the below given suggestions.

Personal files such as videos, music, photos, and documents can take up a lot of space on your device. To see which files are using the most space:

1. Select File Explorer from the taskbar and find the files you want to move.
    2. Under This PC in the menu on the left, select a folder to see what files are saved in it. The
      Videos, Music, Pictures, and
      Downloads
      folders usually contain the largest files that you’ve saved to your device.
    3. To see the size of the files in a folder, select
      View
      > Details. Right-click in the open space and then select
      Sort by > Size to show the largest files at the top of the list.
    4. If there are files you no longer need on your device, you can either delete them or move them to an external storage device like a USB drive or an SD card.

Note: If you delete any files, remember to empty the Recycle Bin to completely remove them from your device and free up space.

To move photos, music, videos, or other files that you want to keep but don't use very often, consider saving them to an external storage device like a USB drive or an SD card. You'll still be able to use them when the drive is connected, but they won't take
    up space on your PC.

1. Connect an external storage device like a USB drive or SD card to your PC.
    2. Select File Explorer from the taskbar and go to the folder that contains the files you want to move.
    3. Select the files, select the Home tab, and then select
      Move to > Choose location.
    4. Select the external storage device you connected in the location list, and then select
      Move.

In Windows 10 you can also move the installed Windows Store apps to any other drive in order to free up space. You can also change the path of the default installation directory, for new apps.

If you would like to move the installed apps to another drive, try the below given suggestions.

Press Windows key + I to bring up the Settings menu and click Apps. You should be on the
    Apps & features page of the left-hand navigation.

Click on the app entry that you would like to move to a different drive to see
    Move and Uninstall
    options. Click Move button and then select a drive of your choice to move the app.

Note: When you click on a traditional desktop program or an app that came preinstalled with Windows 10, Windows 10 offers only Uninstall option and you can’t move desktop applications
    using this method.

For more information on how to free up space on your computer I suggest you refer to the suggestion from the given article

Free up drive space in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Jan 20, 2022
  3. Jacee Win User
    C: Drive disk cleanup

I've already done your suggestions....... yep, need a bigger drive for C: suppose!

Jacee, Jan 20, 2022
  4. JanaDyck Win User

move files from my C drive to an external hard drive.

what steps do I take to move files from my C drive to an external hard drive. My C drive is almost full.

JanaDyck, Jan 20, 2022
Thema:

1. C: drive has been moved - Similar Threads - drive has been

2. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive has been moved: My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?...
  3. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive has been moved: My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?...
  4. Move C drive to new drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move C drive to new drive: Morning guys.So I have installed a new m.2 SSD into my motherboard. I have a SSD as my main boot drive and a HDD as my Data drive. Is there a way to move my C drive to my m.2 SSD and changing it to C drive without having to reinstall windows 10?...
  5. My C Drive has been partitioned!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My C Drive has been partitioned!: This might have been caused by something I downloaded - silly me - or not, I really don't know.All of a sudden, my PC won't boot, and tells me there is no accessible boot device. I can run troubleshooting and get to the command prompt.I have unplugged all the USB hard drives,...
  6. 'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to...: Hi everyone, I keep getting the 'windows cannot install updates' message as the computer seems to think that there is a program still installed on C drive that I have already moved. I previously had a game in the C drive that was taking up a lot of space. I copy + pasted...
  7. Shortcut Has been moved or changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut Has been moved or changed: Whenever I download Stream Labs OBS and try to run it, it always says This shortcut has been moved or changed an will not run properly. I haven't moved or changed it at all....
  8. Downloads folder moved from C to D drive and has been merged with User folder

Downloads folder moved from C to D drive and has been merged with User folder: I was running out of space on my C drive, so I decided to relocate the Downloads folder to the D drive within my User folderD:\Hashim Ali My user folder in the d drive This ended up merging my user folder and the downloads folder, making it one massive 40 GB folder I...
  9. Moving C drive to a new drive

Moving C drive to a new drive: Hello My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my programs? Thank you for the help. I use windows 10 64bit....
  10. MBR has moved from C:

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR has moved from C:: I found out by chance that my system files have moved from my C: drive to a small 2.5 inch HDD that i salvaged from an old laptop and used as a backup drive. Here's a screen shot of Disk Management if it helps. [img] How do I restore my system and MBR to C: on...