Windows 10: C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive

Discus and support C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; basically my c drive has 217gb storage ssd of which 103 gb is shown as used space . when I select all the files in c drive and check on properties... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by vijay_13o5, Dec 1, 2020.

1. C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive

basically my c drive has 217gb storage ssd of which 103 gb is shown as used space .

when I select all the files in c drive and check on properties only 40 gb is shown as size on disk .then i should have have additional 77 gb storage

kindly help me windows 10 os

:)

vijay_13o5, Dec 1, 2020
  2. AKK17 Win User

C drive space filling

My C drive space in Windows 10 is filling up rapidly. I tried deleting CBS files but that weren't occupying much space.

I used Treesize but not able to make sense of which file is occupying unnecessary space and which file to delete.

AKK17, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Dec 1, 2020
  4. C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive

Discrepancy between 'Used Space' on C drive and total of actual folders/files

According to 'Properties' in Windows Explorer, my C drive (one of four partitions on my primary drive) has 296GB 'Used Space' and 272GB 'Free Space', giving a total partition size of 568GB. However, if I add up the total space occupied by all the folders
    and files on C drive that are listed in Windows Explorer they come to roughly 44GB. (The largest folder is Windows (19.5GB), followed by Users (9GB) and Program Files (5.8GB). The rest of the folders are smaller than this.). Nearly all my applications, data,
    photos, videos, backups etc are on the other three partitions on the primary hard drive or on a secondary internal hard drive.

Can anyone suggest what accounts for the HUGE discrepancy between the reported 'Used Space' and the total of the actual folders/files? I first noticed this when backing up my C drive using Acronis TrueImage, which yields a back up file of 218GB - presumably
    the 296GB with some compression. A few months back I recall that the Acronis backup files were sized at around 60-70GB, so there's something funny going on! If there is some giant folder or file that is lurking on my C drive, what could it be and why isn't
    it showing up in Windows Explorer?

Peter Brigg, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive

1. C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive - Similar Threads - drive showing more

2. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  3. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  4. C-drive shows more "used" space than folders all together

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C-drive shows more "used" space than folders all together: I am monitoring the free space on a C-drive on two different Win10 PCs.I have noted the "size" of each folder in the C-root - including two "hidden folders".When calculating the overall size by adding up each folder in GB, I find on one PC that I have a fairly good match with...
  5. C-drive shows more "used" space than folders all together

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C-drive shows more "used" space than folders all together: I am monitoring the free space on a C-drive on two different Win10 PCs.I have noted the "size" of each folder in the C-root - including two "hidden folders".When calculating the overall size by adding up each folder in GB, I find on one PC that I have a fairly good match with...
  6. C-drive shows more "used" space than folders all together

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. C drive is showing more used space than the amount of all the content on the drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive is showing more used space than the amount of all the content on the drive: Hi, So my C drive's "blue bar" turned red this morning when i turned on my laptop. It showed that C drive had around 8GB free out of 99GB. I selected all files inside, right clicked and clicked Properties, it was showen that it all was 66GB of space taken and not 91GB. I...
  8. The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.: This is a frequent issue with my laptop. The used space is always greater than space actually acquired by the contents of the drive. There are no hidden files that might be acquiring the space. This usually happens the drive which is talked about above is E when I make a...
  9. The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.: [ATTACH] This is a frequent issue with my laptop. The used space is always greater than space actually acquired by the contents of the drive. There are no hidden files that might be acquiring the space. This usually happens ( the drive which is talked about above is E )...
  10. C Drive showing more space occupied than it adds up to. How to resolve this issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C Drive showing more space occupied than it adds up to. How to resolve this issue?: C drive is showing more space used overnight. Drive went from around 120GB to 778GB used. I know it is wrong. How can I fix it? Tree Size Program says that the page file systems are containing 774.9 GB. How can this happen and what do I do?...