Windows 10: C drive space dicreasing rapidly

Discus and support C drive space dicreasing rapidly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My c drive space is decreasing rapidly (at least 1 gb per day). I have bought a laptop with pre-installed windows and I have already deleted old win. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ana6826, Oct 23, 2016.

1. ana6826 Win User

C drive space dicreasing rapidly

My c drive space is decreasing rapidly (at least 1 gb per day). I have bought a laptop with pre-installed windows and I have already deleted old win. I have run system and disk clean up, checked for shadow files (I had none) in the command prompt, ran my antivirus and ccleaner, deleted '%temp%', 'temp' and 'prefetch' files. I have uninstalled apps and compressed my drive and had not downloaded anything, yet my c drive is decreasing. I have run the WinDirStar program and here is the screenshot

C drive space dicreasing rapidly [​IMG]

Oh and my notifications show that there were no new updates, so I am really confused, can somebody help me solve this problem?

:)

ana6826, Oct 23, 2016
  2. Saltgrass Win User

C drive filling rapidly.

You need to provide info related to what data you deleted and what type of data is filling up your drive.

You can use the Settings-System-Storage page and check what on that partition. The type of files would give a clue as to what might be happening. There is a thread where someone has a log file growing and taking up space.

Saltgrass, Oct 23, 2016
  3. Nick Dich Win User
    C drive filling rapidly.

Hi Swamy,

The Windows update usually downloads raw update files to your computer first before the update gets applied. The raw update files should be automatically deleted by the system afterwards. Which Windows build and version are you using? It may be possible
    that you are using an earlier build of Windows and the Windows update keeps on installing each update released one by one, the reason why your storage gets full.

For the meantime, we have an article on our support site that can help you with this issue. Kindly visit the link provided here and follow the steps you have not done yet:

Free up drive space in Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Nick Dich, Oct 23, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it would help if you could monitor this for a couple of days and identify in which area files are accumulating - which folder is increasing steadily in size- without cleaning anything over the period.

dalchina, Oct 23, 2016
  5. 32GB for Windows is quite a lot. Download "WC.bat" and run it as admin.
    It will take about an hour to complete, then select to clean everything.

TairikuOkami, Oct 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    @TarikuOkami - we need to see what is increasing in size- i.e. what the cause of the concern is, being the purpose of the original post. Using a cleaner won't stop whatever it is that's filling space.

After that, by all means consider the total size- which I wouldn't consider particularly excessive. It may contain some pre-installed stuff, and user data as well.

dalchina, Oct 23, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Looking at the WinDirStat output, I don't see any obvious pathologies. If we knew which folders were growing so dramatically, it would undoubtedly tell us more than we currently know. Also, if the Unknown folder proves interesting in the future (it doesn't look that interesting right now), launching WirDirStat with a right-click to "run as administrator" will often shed a lot more light on the file system analysis.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 23, 2016
  8. ana6826 Win User

Thank you for all of Your suggestions I will try to monitor with WinDirStar for a couple of days and then will get back with more information.

ana6826, Oct 23, 2016
  9. There's a problem using WinDirStat. Some folders restrict access - even to administrator (such as System Volume Information where windows saves restore point data). Run WinDirStat, even as admin, shows System Volume folder with size 0! Use TreeSizeFree instead and run as admin.

TreeSize clearly circumvents Windows permissions
    > I just downloaded and ran WinDirStat as admin on my PC. WinDirStat shows System Volume Information folder at size 0
    > I run TreeSize on my PC shows it's over 3GB!!!

/* EDIT */
    System Volume folder is always my first suspect for disappearing space - especially since it's non-obvious since most tools don't show its real size

/* EDIT2 */
    In full disclosure, I ran the tools on a Win 7 machine, but would guess Win 10 will be the same results

ComputerGeek, Oct 24, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Agreed about Windirstat and System Volume Information. The space you allocate to restore points is under your control, thus is constrained anyway so should not be of particular interest- disappointing that doesn't show it nonetheless.

E.g. type restore (in the Cortana search box), create a restore point, configure...

dalchina, Oct 24, 2016
  11. ana6826 Win User
    Hello again, I have still decided to run WinDirStar today and this is what I got. Prior to running this program I did what dalchina suggested with system restore and then I pressed delete, now nothing really happened but when I ran WinDirStar my recovery file that took up 3.6gb disappeared, but I did not gain any space. Nor did I loose it yet. However, as you can see form the screenshot my unknown file became 1.2 gb. My windows folder decreased from 20.3gb to 20, as well as program files from 1.8 gb to 629.5mb, program data from 1.1 gb up to 691.9 mb. Nothing else changed, yet I did not gain any space. Here's the screenshot Attachment 107466

ana6826, Oct 24, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, unfortunately your screenshot isn't accessible - could you edit and update your post?
    Unsure what you mean about 'pressed delete'. I only commented on System restore.

It would be wise to try to identify what your 'unknown file' is.

Could you post a screenshot of explorer viewing C:, showing anything which might correspond to it?
    And open a command prompt window at c: and type
    dir
    and post a screenshot
    then type
    DIR /ADH
    and post a screenshot
    then type
    DIR /AH
    and post a screenshot

dalchina, Oct 24, 2016
  13. CountMike New Member
  14. ana6826 Win User
    Ok, hopefully it would show

ana6826, Oct 24, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Sorry, those command prompt screenshots aren't of C:

Try cd ..
    (twice) and you should be at C:
    Check that, then repeat.
    And include explorer showing C: please.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2016
Thema:

1. C drive space dicreasing rapidly - Similar Threads - drive space dicreasing

2. Space for C Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Space for C Drive.: Hey Microsoft Community,I am Gavin here & using the latest Windows 11, 23H2 OS. Would like to know how much Memory is required for C Drive. Currently I have 28.6 GB Free out of 126 GB {As attached Screen Shot Below}. Is this enough Space for C Drive. Please check & let me...
  3. Space for C Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Space for C Drive.: Hey Microsoft Community,I am Gavin here & using the latest Windows 11, 23H2 OS. Would like to know how much Memory is required for C Drive. Currently I have 28.6 GB Free out of 126 GB {As attached Screen Shot Below}. Is this enough Space for C Drive. Please check & let me...
  4. Extending space on C drive

Extending space on C drive: My Question: my disc manager space distribution looks like this: i.e., print screen below. On Disc 1 I would like to extend "C" using the space from New Volume J . Is this possible? Disc 1 is a solid state 1TB. I am not sure if this can be done! Can you please advise me?...
  5. C drive space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive space: Hello .My C drive is an ssd 476 GB.At Monday the capacity was 290 GB.I deleted the latest restore points and the capacity went up to 300GB.Also i activated the weekly scheduled optimization for C drivebut i am thinking wasn't necessary and for my second internal hddmainly for...
  6. C drive space

C drive space: Hello .My C drive is an ssd 476 GB.At Monday the capacity was 290 GB.I deleted the latest restore points and the capacity went up to 300GB.Also i activated the weekly scheduled optimization for C drivebut i am thinking wasn't necessary and for my second internal hddmainly for...
  7. Space in C drive!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Space in C drive!!!: There is one problem which I face with my computer everyday. The space free in the C drive gets lesser day bay day. For example, yesterday the space free in the c drive was 45.1 GB and today it suddenly reduced to 43.2 GB, without me installing any programs. Sometimes I...
  8. Space in C drive!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Space in C drive!!!: There is one problem which I face with my computer everyday. The space free in the C drive gets lesser day bay day. For example, yesterday the space free in the c drive was 45.1 GB and today it suddenly reduced to 43.2 GB, without me installing any programs. Sometimes I...
  9. Space in C drive!!!

10. Freeing space on C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freeing space on C drive: Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1110 I am trying to free up space on my C drive which is a 500Gb SSD. I install all programs to my 2Tb HD. Windirstat tells me Tom Tom the sat nav takes up 153 Gb on my C drive. So I want to uninstall it. Windows said it was uninstalling it from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 c drive space decreasing rapidly