Windows 10: (C:) drive space magically disappeared

Discus and support (C:) drive space magically disappeared in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, Today I installed a new 2TB HDD and have just noticed that my C: drive's space has shrunk down to 6GB of free space out of 476GB. Pretty bizarre!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RedLad, Nov 1, 2019.

1. RedLad Win User

(C:) drive space magically disappeared

Hi,

Today I installed a new 2TB HDD and have just noticed that my C: drive's space has shrunk down to 6GB of free space out of 476GB. Pretty bizarre! I am nearly sure it was less than half full last time I noticed this. I am unaware if this has happened after installing this newer hard drive. or if it had happened prior to this.

Would anybody have any ideas on what to do?

Thank you (C:) drive space magically disappeared :)

:)

RedLad, Nov 1, 2019

2. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Nov 1, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (C(C:) drive space magically disappeared :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Nov 1, 2019
  4. Piglet Win User

C: drive progressively loses space

Hello,

My C: drive is progressively losing space the longer my computer is on. I am currently experiencing the worst example of it so far, which has prompted me to post this support request.

• Three hours ago, I turned my computer on. C: had 32GB of free space.
    • Thirty minutes ago, I received a 'low disk space' warning. C: had been reduced to 0 bytes.
    • I moved 3.6GB of personal files to an external drive. After checking in 'This PC', however, C: showed just 2.2GB of free space.
    • At the time of writing, C: now has 1.3GB of space remaining. This will occasionally drop in increments of 50MB to 100MB. It will also sometimes stabilise for a short time before continuing to drop again.
    The only programs I have used in the past three hours are Chrome, Firefox, Foxtel Go (a streaming application), and Media Player Classic. It does not seem to matter which applications I use - if I use any applications at all - for the space to continue disappearing. Malwarebytes has not discovered any threats, either, and nothing appears to be abnormal in Task Manager.

How can I figure out what is going on? Can anyone help, or suggest anything? This is incredibly frustrating and inconveniencing as you can imagine.

Thank you in advance.

Computer: Toshiba Satellite
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

Piglet, Nov 1, 2019
Thema:

1. (C:) drive space magically disappeared - Similar Threads - drive space magically

2. C drive space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive space: Hello .My C drive is an ssd 476 GB.At Monday the capacity was 290 GB.I deleted the latest restore points and the capacity went up to 300GB.Also i activated the weekly scheduled optimization for C drivebut i am thinking wasn't necessary and for my second internal hddmainly for...
  3. C drive space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive space: Hello .My C drive is an ssd 476 GB.At Monday the capacity was 290 GB.I deleted the latest restore points and the capacity went up to 300GB.Also i activated the weekly scheduled optimization for C drivebut i am thinking wasn't necessary and for my second internal hddmainly for...
  4. C Drive Disappeared

C Drive Disappeared: From "optimize drives". Once a month I like to manually defrag and when I went to do it today the only one that was there was E my external hard drive I use for backup. Any help will be appreciated....
  5. C Drive Disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    C Drive Disappeared: From "optimize drives". Once a month I like to manually defrag and when I went to do it today the only one that was there was E my external hard drive I use for backup. Any help will be appreciated....
  6. Space in C drive!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Space in C drive!!!: There is one problem which I face with my computer everyday. The space free in the C drive gets lesser day bay day. For example, yesterday the space free in the c drive was 45.1 GB and today it suddenly reduced to 43.2 GB, without me installing any programs. Sometimes I...
  7. Space in C drive!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Space in C drive!!!: There is one problem which I face with my computer everyday. The space free in the C drive gets lesser day bay day. For example, yesterday the space free in the c drive was 45.1 GB and today it suddenly reduced to 43.2 GB, without me installing any programs. Sometimes I...
  8. Space in C drive!!!

9. Magic Disappearing PC's

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Magic Disappearing PC's: I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this trouble but it's been driving me NUTS! I have a number of PC's at home here (Mine, Workbench PC, Daughters Laptop, Sons Desktop, Our Video PC hooked to the TV) and it seems that any PC which has been upgraded to W10 and fully...
  10. (C:) drive space magically disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    (C:) drive space magically disappeared: Hi, Today I installed a new 2TB HDD and have just noticed that my C: drive's space has shrunk down to 6GB of free space out of 476GB. Pretty bizarre! I am nearly sure it was less than half full last time I noticed this. I am unaware if this has happened after installing this...