Windows 10: C Drive suddenly full - Temp folders and Recycling have been cleaned out

Discus and support C Drive suddenly full - Temp folders and Recycling have been cleaned out in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; 2 days ago I had about 150Gb of free space. Yesterday, I noticed it dropped to 40Gb. Today it dropped to less than 500Mb. I didn't download anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/darealgeezer, May 27, 2020.

1. C Drive suddenly full - Temp folders and Recycling have been cleaned out

2 days ago I had about 150Gb of free space. Yesterday, I noticed it dropped to 40Gb. Today it dropped to less than 500Mb. I didn't download anything these 2 days. I cleaned out my AppData\Local\Temp folder and emptied the recycling bin. Now I'm at 20Gb of free space, so I'm still missing a lot.

What could have happened to make all the free space disappear and how can I fix this?

submitted by /u/darealgeezer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/darealgeezer, May 27, 2020

2. Issue with recycle bin, windows defender, hard drive space, etc. Dell Support couldn't help.

We suggest that you reset the Recycle Bin folder to fix problems such as the Recycle Bin of your PC not working how it's supposed to. After the reset, Windows will automatically create a new Recycle Bin folder that will work.

To reset the Recycle Bin, follow the steps below:

• Open elevated Command Prompt by pressing the Windows key + X, and then click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt window, type the following command then press Enter:

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

That command will reset the Recycle Bin in the C drive. After doing so, we also suggest that you run the System File Checker (SFC) scan and the Deployment Image Servicing & Management (DISM) tool to repair corrupted files in the system.

Here are the steps:

• On elevated Command Prompt, type SFC /scannow, and then press
      Enter.
    • After the SFC scan has completed, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, and then press
      Enter.
    • Restart the PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia Yu, May 27, 2020
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Is it safe to delete the Temp folder in C:/Windows/Temp?

Yes, all *files* in the temp folder (not the folder itself) can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example,
    if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use
    by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the
    next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake, May 27, 2020
  4. C Drive suddenly full - Temp folders and Recycling have been cleaned out

Win 10 - Folder and files in C:\Windows\Temp\NC5pBB

Thank you for the suggestions.

To answer your question as to what happened when this was first seen,

• updated Win10 with the anniversary update
    • my antivirus notified about a C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\tmp00000000 file, which was quarantined and subsequently I deleted through the antivirus
    Now I see that there is a C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\tmp00000000 file there, which the antivirus says is clean and I can delete, but I cannot delete the C:\Windows\Temp\tmp00007eb1\ folder!

From your suggestions:

1. Run the sfc /scannow command

It came back with:

W i n d o w s R e s o u r c e P r o t e c t i o n d i d n o t f i n d a n y i n t e g r i t y v i o l a t i o n s .

2. Rebooted

I was able to delete the NC5pBB folder and all its contents.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder

I could delete the tmp00000000 file

3. Did a clean boot

I was able to delete the NC5pBB folder and all its contents.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder

I could delete the tmp00000000 file

4. Did a regular boot

The NC5pBB folder came back, with a bunch of contents similar to the original post.

I was able to delete the folder and its contents.

The tmp00000000 file came back and I was able to delete it.

I was not able to delete the tmp00007eb1 folder.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

sec&msft, May 27, 2020
Thema:

C Drive suddenly full - Temp folders and Recycling have been cleaned out

1. C Drive suddenly full - Temp folders and Recycling have been cleaned out - Similar Threads - Drive suddenly full

2. C: DRIVE SUDDENLY ALMOST FULL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: DRIVE SUDDENLY ALMOST FULL: Yesterday my C: Drive had 20.7gb free out of 110gb, but today suddenly it shows 6.7gb free out of 110gb, the available disk space keeps changing, like sometimes its 9gb sometimes its 6gb, i have used SFC /Scannow, Dism restorehealth, and i have checked if there is any virus...
  3. C: DRIVE SUDDENLY ALMOST FULL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: DRIVE SUDDENLY ALMOST FULL: Yesterday my C: Drive had 20.7gb free out of 110gb, but today suddenly it shows 6.7gb free out of 110gb, the available disk space keeps changing, like sometimes its 9gb sometimes its 6gb, i have used SFC /Scannow, Dism restorehealth, and i have checked if there is any virus...
  4. C: DRIVE SUDDENLY ALMOST FULL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Thousands of temp logs being made until c drive is full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thousands of temp logs being made until c drive is full: I did a fresh install of windows yesterday since I got some new computer parts, and now windows is cratings thousands of event logs and appx error reports for stuff like skype or onedrive that I don't use or open. It does this constantly until the C drive is full. I've tried...
  6. C drive is suddenly full

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    C drive is suddenly full: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (version 2004). Today I was using my laptop as I normally do, and suddenly I got a notification from windows letting me know it turned on Storage Sense. I found it very silly as I knew I had more than 50gb of free disk space on my C drive. My C...
  7. MY C- DRIVE SUDDENLY GOT FULL

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MY C- DRIVE SUDDENLY GOT FULL: I am a Windows 10 user. Until yesterday my C- Drive had approximately 140GB free out of 199GB, but today suddenly it shows that 2.65GB free out of 199 GB. Then I opened the drive and selected all files and clicked on properties. It showed "Size: 54.2GB Size on disk: 54.7GB" I...
  8. Original owner of "temp folder" in C: Drive

Original owner of "temp folder" in C: Drive: Hello, I have a question, What is the original owner of the Folder "temp" Located inside C:\Windows? Because i accidentally set the ownership of the folder to my name. When i used Powershell admin and typed $env:username, i saw my name and changed the owner of temp...
  9. Drive suddenly full

Drive suddenly full: I recently updated my windows and all of a sudden when I saw my PC folder my D drive blotted, like until yesterday only around 30Gb was the size that was filled and today it was suddenly 325Gb. A backup of some sort has been created and I am unable to clean it. It keeps...
  10. Trying to move folders out of full C drive to D

Trying to move folders out of full C drive to D: I accidentally changed the location of my desktop from C:\ to D:\, and it put everything from my D:\ drive on the desktop screen. I am unable to restore the location back to C\users...etc where it belongs due to an access denied message. I have tried giving myself (the...