Windows 10: C Drive vs. D Drive

Discus and support C Drive vs. D Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello--looking for some assistance with designating storage to the D drive on my computer. I have the settings arranged so that all new download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GregSmith_148, Mar 30, 2019.

1. C Drive vs. D Drive

Hello--looking for some assistance with designating storage to the D drive on my computer.

I have the settings arranged so that all new download content is supposed to go to the D drive--music, etc.--but it is still going to the C drive anyway.

Thanks for any help!

:)

GregSmith_148, Mar 30, 2019

2. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Mar 30, 2019
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Mar 30, 2019
  4. C Drive vs. D Drive

how to merge c drive and d drive

It depends on a couple things.

If you have two separate physical C and D drives, you can't merge them.

If the D drive is a partition (not a drive) and its to the right of C:\ in Disk Management, you can right click C:\ then click Extend.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Take a screenshot then post in a reply here.

If the layout is similar to how I described it, try the following. Make sure important data is backed up if there is any.

Select the D:\ partition

Right click the ‘D:\’ in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (C:\). Right click the System volume and click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Mar 30, 2019
Thema:

C Drive vs. D Drive

1. C Drive vs. D Drive - Similar Threads - Drive Drive

2. cd rom drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cd rom drive: hi just wondering at all if there is a cd rom drive on a lenovo laptop windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom-drive/7b932ceb-cdc2-45c2-bd36-29cfa46a8c1e
  3. Computer is extremely slow on boot, wondering if it's windows or hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer is extremely slow on boot, wondering if it's windows or hard drive.: I'm trying to figure out how to speed up my computer a little. I've had my computer for around 5 years and in the last few it's gotten really slow on boot and in the first 10ish minutes of booting up. My hard drive is a little older but i believe it's an earlier sshd. These...
  4. Disable auto hide arrows next the folder or drive in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable auto hide arrows next the folder or drive in File Explorer?: Hi, In the File Explorer navigation pane for Windows 10 2004, if you move your cursor out of the navigation pane, it will hide the arrow next to the folder or drive. If you move your cursor over the navigation pane, it will show the arrows. Anyone figure out how to disable...
  5. window update locked my pc and can not recover hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window update locked my pc and can not recover hard drive: on 10-12-2020 window updates destroyed my pc. Lock up the bios and lock up my hard drive. Why does this happen ? every time this last 2 years your update have locked my pc. I have taken to best buy geek squad every time....
  6. Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved: Every time I logged into my hard drive, it would re-index the entire drive. I had the category "Date Modified" as the category to sort on, selecting that by clicking on it in the file header. Every time I logged into a directory on the hard drive, it would start out with...
  7. HDD drives are suddenly not initializing on reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD drives are suddenly not initializing on reboot: Close to a month ago I logged onto my computer (win10 pro) and found that 2 of my HDD drives had vanished from file explorer. Of course I panic, open up disk management and they are both not initialized. I spent about a week recovering 4tb of lost data. Initialized the disk...
  8. Windows 10, Lenovo Ideapad 330S, SanDisk USB Cruzer 64GB Drive appears and disappears from...

Windows 10, Lenovo Ideapad 330S, SanDisk USB Cruzer 64GB Drive appears and disappears from...: About four days ago October 21, 2020, I plugged a SanDisk USB Cruzer 64GB Drive into Port 3. A few moments after the UBS drive was plugged in, an error message appeared in the lower right-hand corner of my screen: USB device malfunctioned and is not recognized. In the...
  9. How to Make Botoable USB Flash Drive from OS Install ISO on Desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Make Botoable USB Flash Drive from OS Install ISO on Desktop?: I give up. I'm been trying for nearly two days now to make a booable USB flash drive with the Win 10 install ISO on my desktop for the latest Win 10 Upgrade, to the October 2020 version. Until this version, I was alwasy able to burn a bootable DVD, used Nero. But this...
  10. Rename Drive Letter C?

Rename Drive Letter C?: I installed a new SSD drive and named it "E". Using Macrium software I cloned my "C" drive onto the new SSD "E". I also changed the boot order in the BIOS so it boots from "E." Now I want to swap letter names so my SSD drive becomes "C" and my old drive can be "E" or...