Windows 10: C: drive went from being numbered as Disk 0 to Disk 2 ???

Discus and support C: drive went from being numbered as Disk 0 to Disk 2 ??? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings, My week-long expedition into trying to discover a fix started with my C: drive shooting up to 100% activity, and Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DrCarl, Jan 16, 2020.

1. DrCarl Win User

C: drive went from being numbered as Disk 0 to Disk 2 ???

Greetings,

My week-long expedition into trying to discover a fix started with my C: drive shooting up to 100% activity, and Windows hanging/frozen/useless. Nothing worked, not even the mouse. This was ver. 1809 with a couple of updates (Jan 2nd and Jan 4th?) uninstalled.

I researched a lot, read about many Event Viewer notices, fixed some, and basically tried to determine what made sense and was safe, and did too many things to list.

At one point, after installing Advanced SystemCare 13 Pro (paid), and letting it tweak everything, well, I noticed that my C: drive went from being numbered as Disk 0 to Disk 2. I was not positive the ASC made this terrible change, or not. After hearing back from an ASC mod, I am assured that ASC did not make that change.

Anyway, this renumbering rendered System Restore useless (or maybe I accidentally deleted some restore points with some other cleanup routine - user error is always a possibility - lol). I was also unable to get past the twirling marbles circle on the black screen. Windows was a no-go zone ... until I restored my C: drive (thank goodness) with Acronis 2020.

The computer now seems to be acting like a computer.

Restoring C: got me back in the game. All my other drives are fine. I updated to build 1903 yesterday. I turned the Indexing service back on and let it run. All appears to be well, yet since the system hang was intermittent, I'll not be 'comfortable' until a few days pass.

I'd still like to understand how the drives got re-numbered so that I can avoid that in the future.

Advanced SystemCare or not, if anyone has any idea how a disk number could be changed, I'm all ears.

I'm sure to have more questions in the near future.

TIA

Win 10 home x64 ver 1903 build 18632.592. Yesterday I was on ver. 1809.

:)

DrCarl, Jan 16, 2020

2. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since
    the SSD is Disk 1 the Ubuntu install goes directly to Disk 0 because Disk 0 is first on the list. How can I switch the two Disks so my SSD drive is Disk 0? Thanks.

Katie Witkin, Jan 16, 2020
  3. GiaChang Win User
    Cannot merge C drive (disk 0) with unallocated space (on disk 1)

Hi all,

I need some advice on whether it is possible - and if yes, how to merge my C drive on disk 0 with D drive on disk 1.

The problem is: my C drive is getting full soon, but previously after I deleted D drive and make it unallocated space (the bar of current D drive will change to black from blue), I still cannot expand C drive by adding the 100GB unallocated space into it.
    If I right click on C drive, the "expand" item is in gray.

I've searched online for solutions but so far only have seen same questions around. Does any one know the solution and do a big favor to explain how to do it step by step? Thanks much in advance!

P.S, sorry that the interface is not in English. Below page shows the "Disk Management" function, and you can see that:

1) Disk 0 has 55.78G, including C drive (55.21GB), 100MB of something I don't know what it is, and 473MB of recovery zone

2) Disk 1 has 100GB D drive, and 831.51GB E drive

C: drive went from being numbered as Disk 0 to Disk 2 ??? 4d9a7925-db40-474e-9e8b-8352ef8dcf4a.jpg

GiaChang, Jan 16, 2020
  4. C: drive went from being numbered as Disk 0 to Disk 2 ???

Cannot merge C drive (disk 0) with unallocated space (on disk 1)

You cannot combine space from two separate physical disks. You have two choices:

1. Replace your C drive (disk 0) with a larger disk, or

2. Move some of the files from the C drive to a D drive on disk 1. Be very careful moving files from C to D; moving the wrong files can render your PC inoperable.

Alan Russell, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

C: drive went from being numbered as Disk 0 to Disk 2 ???

1. C: drive went from being numbered as Disk 0 to Disk 2 ??? - Similar Threads - drive went being

2. How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: This laptop supports 2 drives. I recently added a second drive internal and then just had to perform a clean install of windows 11.For some reason it first tried to install on the secondary drive and now the drives numbers are messed up, ie reversed; so I want to do exactly...
  3. How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: This laptop supports 2 drives. I recently added a second drive internal and then just had to perform a clean install of windows 11.For some reason it first tried to install on the secondary drive and now the drives numbers are messed up, ie reversed; so I want to do exactly...
  4. Haw To Transfer Volume C From disk 1 to disk 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Haw To Transfer Volume C From disk 1 to disk 0: My C Drive Is Currently On Disk 1. But how Do I Transfer It To Disk 0? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/haw-to-transfer-volume-c-from-disk-1-to-disk-0/d2c46548-060d-439f-b285-2d72e92a7f9b
  5. Haw To Transfer Volume C From disk 1 to disk 0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Haw To Transfer Volume C From disk 1 to disk 0: My C Drive Is Currently On Disk 1. But how Do I Transfer It To Disk 0? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/haw-to-transfer-volume-c-from-disk-1-to-disk-0/d2c46548-060d-439f-b285-2d72e92a7f9b
  6. How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: Hi, I bought a Desktop it came with M.2 MVME PCIe SSD and HDD . the win10 is in the SSD . But the SSD is listed as disk1 and the HDD listed as disk0 in Disk Management. In general it's functioning OK, but today when I installed the Adata SSD Tool Box for maintenance...
  7. C: drive not on on disk 0 but on DIsk 2..Is that a problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: drive not on on disk 0 but on DIsk 2..Is that a problem?: Setting up a new desktop computer for the 1st time (and also adding an old HDD that didn't work) I have 3 drives. The main drive, which is a nVme SSD, and where my OS is (Windows 10) somehow, according to what I see under Computer Management, ended up on DIsk 2, my secondary...
  8. C: drive not on on disk 0 but on DIsk 2..Is that a problem?

in Windows 10 Support
    C: drive not on on disk 0 but on DIsk 2..Is that a problem?: Setting up a new desktop computer for the 1st time (and also adding an old HDD that didn't work) I have 3 drives. The main drive, which is a nVme SSD, and where my OS is (Windows 10) somehow, according to what I see under Computer Management, ended up on DIsk 2, my secondary...
  9. How do I switch disk 1 to being disk 0, and disk 0 to being disk 1?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I switch disk 1 to being disk 0, and disk 0 to being disk 1?: I'd heard it's best practice to install Windows on disk 0, and I wanted it on my NVMe SSD and not my 4 TB HDD. So, I only connected the SSD so it would be disk 0. However, after that went smoothly and the C drive was on my SSD, things went downhill. After I shut off the...
  10. switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0

in Windows 10 Customization
    switch disk numbers: I want Disk 0 to be Disk 1 and Disk 1 to be Disk 0: Hi, My computer contained a normal HDD hard drive. I recently upgraded to a SSD. The original HDD is Disk 0 and the new SSD is Disk 1. The windows OS is on Disk 1. I want to dual boot my system with Windows and Ubuntu with both OS being on the SSD. Since the SSD is Disk 1 the...