Windows 10: C:\Windows.old - can it be deleted

Discus and support C:\Windows.old - can it be deleted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently reinstalled Windows from v1803 to v1809 via the MediaCreationTool Noticed I now have a 20GB directory C:\Windows.old Can I delete this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tensone, Mar 10, 2019.

1. tensone Win User

C:\Windows.old - can it be deleted

Recently reinstalled Windows from v1803 to v1809 via the MediaCreationTool

Noticed I now have a 20GB directory C:\Windows.old

Can I delete this directory if I am satisfied with the current performance of windows etc.

:)

tensone, Mar 10, 2019
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink C:\Windows.old - can it be deleted ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Mar 10, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Delete old version of windows

Hi Erle,

Some running files or services may be preventing you from deleting the old version of Windows on your computer, or there may be a conflict regarding permissions. We'd like to know some things to get a better picture of the problem and help you resolve it.
    Please answer the following:

• Are you trying to delete the Windows.old folder?
    • What error do you get when deleting the file?
    • Did you find the Previous Windows installation(s) file when you ran Disk Cleanup?
    • How long has it been since you upgraded the computer to Windows 10?

You can try the suggestions shared by SpiritX MS MVP on this
    page
    to permanently delete the folder of your previous operating system.

Let us know if any of the steps work for you.

We'll be glad to offer additional assistance if needed.

Regards.

Ruz San, Mar 10, 2019
  4. bestellen Win User

Deleting contacts from Windows 10

When you say Windows Mail Live are you referring to Mail app or Windows Live Mail?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Live Mail.
    • Press Ctrl + 3 using your keyboard. Right-click on the contact to delete it if it is a single contact.
    • Highlight all contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
    • Click Delete located on the Ribbon bar.
    • Click OK when you see the message These contacts will also be deleted from Hotmail, Messenger, and other Windows Live services.

After following the steps above, all your contacts that you have manually added to your account will be deleted however, contacts coming from third-party sites such as Facebook will not be deleted unless you remove Facebook from your account.

For Mail app:

Open People app then delete the contact.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

bestellen, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

1. C:\Windows.old - can it be deleted - Similar Threads - old deleted

2. Deleted Minecraft and want my old worlds back and now it doesn’t save my new worlds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted Minecraft and want my old worlds back and now it doesn’t save my new worlds: So I deleted Minecraft for a bit and redownloaded it and all my worlds were gone but they were still in the saves folder so I looked up what to do and did a lot of things like making a new saves folder and putting the old worlds into that and it did nothing, I also read that...
  3. Deleted Minecraft and want my old worlds back and now it doesn’t save my new worlds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted Minecraft and want my old worlds back and now it doesn’t save my new worlds: So I deleted Minecraft for a bit and redownloaded it and all my worlds were gone but they were still in the saves folder so I looked up what to do and did a lot of things like making a new saves folder and putting the old worlds into that and it did nothing, I also read that...
  4. Received an email that advised that Microsoft was deleting all old forms of email Does...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Received an email that advised that Microsoft was deleting all old forms of email Does...: See question above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/received-an-email-that-advised-that-microsoft-was/1d82f63d-7015-4021-8a82-d6929ab542ae
  5. Received an email that advised that Microsoft was deleting all old forms of email Does...

Received an email that advised that Microsoft was deleting all old forms of email Does...: See question above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/received-an-email-that-advised-that-microsoft-was/1d82f63d-7015-4021-8a82-d6929ab542ae
  6. Received an email that advised that Microsoft was deleting all old forms of email Does...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Old Items Deleted Out of Recycle Bin are Dumped on Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Items Deleted Out of Recycle Bin are Dumped on Desktop: My storage sense is not on and every few weeks items I have deleted out of my recycle bin almost a year ago still appear on my desktop. I do not know how to fix this problem....
  8. Old Items Deleted Out of Recycle Bin are Dumped on Desktop

Old Items Deleted Out of Recycle Bin are Dumped on Desktop: My storage sense is not on and every few weeks items I have deleted out of my recycle bin almost a year ago still appear on my desktop. I do not know how to fix this problem....
  9. how do I delete an old work account that is sharing apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I delete an old work account that is sharing apps?: When I go to setting, accounts, accounts used by apps, there is no remove option. I can only manage it but then I need to log in but the account does not exist so I can't do anything. What do I do know?...
  10. how do I delete an old work account that is sharing apps?

how do I delete an old work account that is sharing apps?: When I go to setting, accounts, accounts used by apps, there is no remove option. I can only manage it but then I need to log in but the account does not exist so I can't do anything. What do I do know?...