Windows 10: c:\windows\TEMP folder permission getting revoked automatically.

Discus and support c:\windows\TEMP folder permission getting revoked automatically. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have been noticing this for few day in different machine, That in the latest windows builds the permission to access the windows\temp folder is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Harish M1, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Harish M1 Win User

c:\windows\TEMP folder permission getting revoked automatically.

I have been noticing this for few day in different machine, That in the latest windows builds the permission to access the windows\temp folder is getting changed.Is this an expected one in windows 10 or in windows 11. Is there any recent changes implemented by microsoft with respect to the temp folder access.Due to this few application that uses the temp are not working as expected . **********kindly refer the attached image ************************************Note: I know how to take ownership and gain access to my accounts.I need to know the behaviors changes that has been implemented .: s

:)

Harish M1, Nov 28, 2022
  2. Ken Blake Win User

Is it safe to delete the Temp folder in C:/Windows/Temp?

Yes, all *files* in the temp folder (not the folder itself) can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example,
    if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use
    by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the
    next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake, Nov 28, 2022
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Original owner of "temp folder" in C: Drive

Hi Patrick

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this into Command Prompt and hit Enter

icacls "C:\Windows\Temp" /t /q /c /reset

When that command completes, close Command Prompt, that will have reset permissions and owner on that folder . . .

DaveM121, Nov 28, 2022
  4. Asp2017 Win User

Write permissions on temp folder

c:\windows\TEMP folder permission getting revoked automatically. fa5bbdd5-550e-41f3-8318-f17b8b9312bc.png

I have encountered a problem regarding write permissions on temp folder during installation. How do i get the default permission settings over important folders of my C:/ drive ?

Asp2017, Nov 28, 2022
Thema:

1. c:\windows\TEMP folder permission getting revoked automatically. - Similar Threads - windowsTEMP folder permission

2. c:\windows\TEMP folder permission getting revoked automatically.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    c:\windows\TEMP folder permission getting revoked automatically.: I have been noticing this for few day in different machine, That in the latest windows builds the permission to access the windows\temp folder is getting changed.Is this an expected one in windows 10 or in windows 11. Is there any recent changes implemented by microsoft with...
  3. Recovering a drive with all permissions revoked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering a drive with all permissions revoked: I inadvertently disallowed all permissions including me, the Administrator on an external SSD Drive attached to my Windows 10 computer. How do I recover the drive?...
  4. Recovering a drive with all permissions revoked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering a drive with all permissions revoked: I inadvertently disallowed all permissions including me, the Administrator on an external SSD Drive attached to my Windows 10 computer. How do I recover the drive?...
  5. Recovering a drive with all permissions revoked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Permissions to access C: Folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Permissions to access C: Folder: I deleted all access rights to my C: Folder. Bad mistake. How do I get back to default access rights. Access to C: folder is denied. Going to Properties>Security requires read access to reach Edit, which I do not have. If I select Advanced it is unable to display current...
  7. How to revoke permissions for an exe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to revoke permissions for an exe: I allowed an exe file to make changes to my device, how can I revoke these permissions? submitted by /u/dwer345 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/he91vu/how_to_revoke_permissions_for_an_exe/
  8. Get permission to delete folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Get permission to delete folders: Way too often, i come across a massage that says you need permission to perform this action if i try to delete a useless folder or a file on my computer. Any way to fix this? 124500
  9. How to get full permissions for C drive folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get full permissions for C drive folders?: I have spent a ridiculous amount of time Googling this now, going from forum to forum and am now (understandably, no?) feeling very irritated! *sarc Why on earth do Microsoft design Windows 10 Home Edition so that dialogue boxes come up telling you to contact the system or...
  10. Cannot get folder permissions...

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get folder permissions...: Hi, I removed an old Windows 10 user account, but its folder in C:\Users did not disappear. When I investigated, I found that there is a folder inside that I just cannot delete (in spite of being Administrator): C:\Users\test131\AppData\Roaming\AVAST Software\Avast\Cache...