Windows 10: C1900101-2000A - Fails during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation

Discus and support C1900101-2000A - Fails during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is a follow-up to my problem described here (keep reading, this is different config now) Stuck on configure with spinning wheel - Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DEcosse, Aug 7, 2015.

1. DEcosse Win User

C1900101-2000A - Fails during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation

This is a follow-up to my problem described here (keep reading, this is different config now)
    Stuck on configure with spinning wheel - Windows 10 Forums

It looked very much like the initial problem was the legacy on-board video, with no future driver revisions planned for that generation
    My initial thought was "buy a cheap video card";
    That thought got revised to "buy a good (decent) video card";
    then that got further 'refined' to - "hmm, maybe a new mobo and processor!"
    Best Buy had a really great deal this week on the ASUS H97M-PLUS Mobo & i5-4950 for $222.
    Seemed like a good investment to upgrade my system for a pretty reasonable price.

Obstacle #1 - should have realized new mobo have no legacy IDE so my Optical drives would not work;
    option - buy a PCI card or get a new drive (same price);
    Went with new drive;
    Obstacle #2 - got home, opened box and found that I needed SATA power connection *Mad
    Found local PC shop that had Molex/SATA adapter and got there just before closing.

On to complete the swap:
    It went pretty well - kudos to the Paragon Utility which worked really well to preserve my original win7 (32bit) config with all programs intact.
    I got the system back up on my original Win 7 install with only couple of minor glitches in the device mgr.
    Tried to upgrade to 10 and it failed.
    I thought I should get the bugs ironed out of the system before trying again;
    somehow, however, the install got corrupted - it would not see the boot manager on the win drive;
    I tried countless ways of repair all to no avail.
    Getting frustrated with pursuing trying to repair that install, I decided I should really capitalize on the new board and make the move to 64 bit - would lose my programs but with the evolution of the system, had to face that inevitability.
    (This had initially been XP, which I was happy with for longest time, avoiding upgrade for same reason against losing my installed programs; then last year I did an upgrade to Vista and upgrade to 7, all in the one sequence - I really wanted to keep all my installed programs; at the time, there were many cautions against doing that, but other than time consuming it actually worked perfectly)
    I digress ........
    So it really made sense - especially with a now corrupted windows install, to make the move to 64 with a clean install

So part 2 - new clean install on the drive partition of the original win 7 install
    That too went pretty well
    A couple of minor glitches again - one that still prevails is I get 0xC000022 error; it happens with a few programs but most notably Opera Browser; even the Opera Installer would exhibit this fail; I found a quick work-around by "run as admin"; after installing, it would give same error on launch and again would be fine with run as admin;
    I'm using norton 360 and found that Defender was still on - after turning Defender off, it would now start normally
    But still see occasional errors in trying to launch that & other programs.
    I mention this as to whether it may be related to the 10 upgrade not taking
    (I had also granted access to all users for the dll's and ocx's which made no difference till turned off Defender)

On to the 10 upgrade with the new config;
    It is now stopping at the subject title
    Every time I have attempted upgrade it kicks out at exactly same point - I get exactly two rotations of the spinning circle when it starts and then switches to "recovering original OS"
    Here's what I have done so far:
    Tried upgrade from Windows Update
    Tried upgrade from Windows Media Creator
    Updated the Win7 with ALL the applicable updates from original SP1 - is now current, no upgrades pending or failed
    Downloaded latest drivers for Win10 (most of these drivers would not actually load - presumably will not work until it actually HAS win 10 installed) - Video, LAN, USB3, Realtek Audio, Chipset Drivers*Wink
    Clean Boot
    Disabled AV
    Disabled as many devices as possible in the device manager - Video, Audio, LAN, (hmm, a thought, maybe should have disconnected the Optical - will try that next)
    All of that and still kicks out at same point.

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated!
    (and also regarding the (xC000022 issue - may just need more RAM - I'm a bit light for 64 bit at only 4G right now)
    But don't think that is related to the win 10 upgrade issue.

:)

DEcosse, Aug 7, 2015

2. newest windows 10 update

Can we have the full error code and the statement like The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 7, 2015
  3. shadyreda Win User
    error during installation of win 10

Hi,

during installation of win10 i got a message "we couldn't install windows 10 on your pc" with error code "0x80070032 - 0x2000a the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation"

any help

thanks

shadyreda, Aug 7, 2015
  4. DEcosse Win User

And the saga continues ............

Last ditch at upgrading from current install:
    removed second HDD and Optical, removed Norton
    Still no dice

Opted for clean install of win 10 booting from the media stick

The first issue I then saw was an error saying
    (Does that have anything to do with my initial problem?)

Deleted that partition and proceeded to install into now unallocated space
    The good news - win10 installed flawlessly
    The bad - it would not activate
    From other sources, I had read that it would activate using the m'soft database - it did/would not.

So here we go again
    With at least now knowing there were no hardware conflicts, I have deleted that win10 partition and re-doing clean install of win7, which I will once again activate
    Once that completes I will again attempt the upgrade from win7, to hopefully preserve the activation status.

DEcosse, Aug 7, 2015
  5. DEcosse Win User
    All good now - the process as described above, while tedious was successful
    Win 10 64 now installed as Upgrade to the clean install of Win7
    It indeed shows activated.
    The only glitch in this phase of the project was in getting the Win10 update to become available
    The CMD command (Run as Administrator) of 'wuauclt.exe /update now' would not provoke it to appear.
    Ultimately I went into the Registry & manually updated the key

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
    If does not exist, create it.
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

From there, the 10 upgrade was seamless.

I have pretty much all my programs re-installed now also
    Tip - beforehand, I had created a folder with all the install programs in one file in my other drive, which I only connected after the win10 upgrade. So all were ready to hand and I could just go down the list and install sequentially. In same folder I also had all the driver upgrades assembled to similarly execute.

Can't explain what was causing that earlier xC000022 error with the earlier W7 install, but it's all good now, no problems in that regard.

The process was much more involved (with a couple of major diversions) but in the end I'm pleased with the path that has not only given me a more powerful platform (& also with better sound & graphics!) but also 64 bit processing - I can now add some more RAM into the mix.

On regret - I wish I had made an integrated up-to-date Win7 disc for those re-installs - it really takes forever to update those from SP1!

DEcosse, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. C1900101-2000A - Fails during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation - Similar Threads - C1900101 2000A Fails

2. Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing during SECOND_BOOT during MIGRATE_DATA operation...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing during SECOND_BOOT during MIGRATE_DATA operation...: I'm trying to upgrade my existing Windows 10 installation to Windows 11 but it keeps failing. It reaches around 90ish percent then I get a screen that says undoing changes and reboots back to Windows 10. My PC passes the health check for 11 but I have no option to upgrade...
  3. Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing during SECOND_BOOT during MIGRATE_DATA operation...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing during SECOND_BOOT during MIGRATE_DATA operation...: I'm trying to upgrade my existing Windows 10 installation to Windows 11 but it keeps failing. It reaches around 90ish percent then I get a screen that says undoing changes and reboots back to Windows 10. My PC passes the health check for 11 but I have no option to upgrade...
  4. The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation: The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operationI've been trying to install Windows 11 22h2 on my laptop running Windows 11 Pro 21h2 for the past 2 weeks now. But every time my laptop restarts the second time, it gets stuck just after the...
  5. installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with and error during REPLICATE_OC operation...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with and error during REPLICATE_OC operation...: hello i was trying to upgrade my windows 7 computer to windows 10 but i am not able to because this message pops up pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-failed-in-safeos-phase-with-and-error/56d8d568-ca98-40c6-b32c-308515353221
  6. The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation: I have a Surface Book running Win 10 Pro 1909. It appears to have a problem in that it will not install some updates. I tried to fix the problem as follows. 1 Downloaded the Media Creation Tool. 2 Created an installation ISO to install Win 10 Pro 2004. 3 Mounted the ISO....
  7. error 800070005 2000A

error 800070005 2000A: error 800070005 2000A when upgrade to window 10 installation failed in safe_os phase https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-800070005-2000a/b3e88234-9dab-415e-9d05-eca384b4f3dd
  8. Windows 10 update fail: 0x80070020 - 0x2000A ... SAFE_OS phase ... PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 update fail: 0x80070020 - 0x2000A ... SAFE_OS phase ... PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation: Update popups been showing non stop for 8 months so until yesterday I decided to update, however, I was never successful. I tried to update from settings and got this error " 0x80070020 - 0x2000A" then downloaded Windows 10 Update Assistant from microsoft website and then it...
  9. Code C1900101-20004

Code C1900101-20004: i have this error code when i attempt to download windows 10 Code C1900101-20004 What is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/code-c1900101-20004/e0a4944b-7a3b-49b3-9bea-297c6897e2b7
  10. Windows 10 upgrade failed (C1900101)

Windows 10 upgrade failed (C1900101): Hello, I've been trying to upgrade to Win10. Invariably, it restarts when it's at 75% (100% done installing features and drivers), says "your PC didn't start correctly", goes to "Auto Repair" then "Diagnosing" and leaves me no choice but to roll back to Win7. These...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error during prepare_first_boot operation

2. WindowsUpdate_C1900101 2000A

3. prepare first boot 0xc19001010x30017