Windows 10: Cache directory hierarchy and jump lists from HDDs on the system SSD

Discus and support Cache directory hierarchy and jump lists from HDDs on the system SSD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I don't have enough SSD space for all my programs so many are installed on HDD instead. I believe this is not uncommon practice. Unfortunately, when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by THX1138, Jun 2, 2017.

1. THX1138 Win User

Cache directory hierarchy and jump lists from HDDs on the system SSD

I don't have enough SSD space for all my programs so many are installed on HDD instead. I believe this is not uncommon practice. Unfortunately, when I try to access a jump list I have to wait for the HDD to spin up before I can see it. What should happen is the jump list items should be stored on the SSD. The HDD will still need to spin up to run the program but at least I can tell Windows which recent file I'm wanting open and then move to my next task.

The same approach could apply to folder hierarchies so I can navigate my directories whilst the relevant HDDs are still spinning up.

:)

THX1138, Jun 2, 2017
  2. HairyFool Win User

Installing Windows 10 on free DOS from beginning

A full license allows you to install Windows 10 irrespective of the existing operating system. Just boot from the media and erase all partitions.

Although not impractical 128GB is a little on the small side for a full Windows install plus a significant number of programs, particularly games which can be large but really benefit from the speed of SSD. Some forward planning of how you intend to use
    the disks will help get the optimal performance.

Use the Location tool to move the main Libraries along with the Downloads directory onto a partition on the HHD. The Program Files Directories cannot themselves be relocated but many program setup utilities will allow you to change the default install directory
    so create a Programs directory on the HDD and use that whenever possible.

The other alternative is to use the SSD as a preload buffer for the HDD. This option is a function of the Intel Rapid Storage chipset if you have that in your system. It involves installing Windows on a partition of the hard disk but enabling RAID in the
    BIOS. To the operating system the SSD does not exist but the drive is a fast I/O buffer caching data. If anything 128GB is rather large for this purpose 32GB or 64GB being more common.

HairyFool, Jun 2, 2017
  3. moving download folder

i just got a new system with both an ssd and a hard drive, i installed the windows on the ssd and plugged the hdd after. when moving the download directory to the hdd i accidentally made it D:\ and not D:\Downloads. and now it registered my hdd as the
    downloads folder. whenever i change it it gives me an error "cant redirect a parent into a child. the specified path is invalid. and when i restore to defaults it gives the error "failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under the volume "D:\ System
    Volume Information." access is denied"

ibrahimmohamed1, Jun 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, that sounds like a recommendation or comment you should make to MS. (Feedback app or MS forum).

Is there a question you'd like to ask?

dalchina, Jun 2, 2017
  5. THX1138 Win User
    I'd like to know if it's feasible but in any case I've copied and pasted into the Feedback app. Like my other suggestions it will probably not gain any traction because it it doesn't have any pizzaz. It's the sort of thing that would subtly make your life better without you knowing it...

THX1138, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cache directory hierarchy and jump lists from HDDs on the system SSD - Similar Threads - Cache directory hierarchy

2. Cache hierarchy error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cache hierarchy error: Hello everybody, While playing call of duty games warzone, cold war and vanguard, sometimes my screen goes black and immediately restarts, and event viewer shows cache hierarchy error. I feel like I've tried everything by now and I don't know what esle to try.Here's what I've...
  3. Cache hierarchy error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cache hierarchy error: Hello everybody, While playing call of duty games warzone, cold war and vanguard, sometimes my screen goes black and immediately restarts, and event viewer shows cache hierarchy error. I feel like I've tried everything by now and I don't know what esle to try.Here's what I've...
  4. JUMP Lists

in Windows 10 Customization
    JUMP Lists: Do JUMP Lists still work in the Windows 10 taskbar? For Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2, OS build 19042.1165. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jump-lists/30e338af-26cf-434d-9f56-d39d975ba257
  5. Machine Check Exception - Cache Hierarchy Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Machine Check Exception - Cache Hierarchy Error: Hello,I have recently built a PC with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. About 4 months ago it started to randomly black screen and restart without any error message on the screen. It only happens when idling or when the PC is going asleep or shutting down. Every time this error happens...
  6. Cache Hierarchy Error, Event ID 18

Cache Hierarchy Error, Event ID 18: My PC randomly turns off like if the power was cut and then reboots. It's completely random, sometimes it happens twice a week, sometimes once a month. The system doesn't need to be in high usage for this to happen, it even happens when only using Word. It happened nine times...
  7. Cache Hierarchy Error AMD Ryzen 3700

Cache Hierarchy Error AMD Ryzen 3700: Hi all, I've been having random reboots with my fairly new system that I built in September 2021. When I look in Event Viewer, I get WHEA-Logger 18 events. Reported by component: Processor Core. Error Source: Machine Hierarchy Error Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error....
  8. Cache hierarchy error, PC reboot

Cache hierarchy error, PC reboot: Been reading every thread I can find on this. Last night my PC rebooted itself and in event viewer it was "cache hierarchy error". This is the second time its done this, about 1 week apart. I was a couple hours into flying in the new flight sim when this occurred. Right...
  9. Jump list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Jump list: If you don't want jump list on the web browser in the taskbar 1.Settings 2.personalisation 3.start 4.Show recently opened items in jump list on start or the taskbar, click off. However this works only once, when you reboot and use your web browser, the jump list ends up...
  10. Cache Hierarchy error.

Cache Hierarchy error.: I have a 8700K (default bios settings) for a month now. I have only just noticed after scrolling through event manger that i have been getting these warnings only from 21.01 january: A corrected hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core Error...