Windows 10: Cached logons not allowing user to log on when domain controller unavailable

Discus and support Cached logons not allowing user to log on when domain controller unavailable in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My laptop users are finding that they periodically cannot login when they are working remotely without connection to the domain controller. They... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarkTheMark, May 15, 2020.

1. Cached logons not allowing user to log on when domain controller unavailable

My laptop users are finding that they periodically cannot login when they are working remotely without connection to the domain controller. They receive the message "We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available..." The group policy has cached logons set to 10 and doesn't require connection to a domain controller.

I am finding that the cached logons are storing once per login not once per unique user so it could, theoretically, get eaten up by one user logging in 10 times, but since most of these laptops have only one user, I'm thinking that's not what's keeping them from logging in.

Any ideas on how to get these remote workers back into their computers without having to create separate local user profiles?

:)

MarkTheMark, May 15, 2020

2. How to reset Domain Users locally cached logon passwords

Dear All,

I am facing an issue that concerned with Domain Users locally cached logon passwords and how to reset it.

as simply sometimes I provide one of the remote sites IT Admins temporary accounts with elevated privileges to do some tasks and after that I disable or change the account password that I recently gave to them

but I found that after some time they log on using the old password while having same privileges by unplugging PCs from network and logging using the windows cached credentials and hence they can do what ever they want without permission.

So I need to know how can I reset the logging passwords that windows caches locally whenever a domain account logs on to a PC.

so I need that the next time any user uses the PC,it will ask him for the password and if he supplied an old one or supplied disabled account credits then PC denies logging for him,

taking in consideration that I do not need to disable the Password caching mode that is used by notebook users. so I need only to reset all cached logon passwords once and I can repeat the same whenever needed

Ahmed_M_Nour, May 15, 2020
  3. Ray4x4x4 Win User
    Windows 10 after joining 2012 domain will not allow logon of domain users

So I have a new computer, recently upgraded from 10 home to 10 pro.

I join the computer to the 2012 r2 domain. it seems to join fine, I see that it is listed in the domain directory. however, no domain user is able to desktop logon on, it gives out a username or password incorrect message, even using the original joining
    user account. it is happy to unjoin, even with administrative accounts that will not allow desktop logon.

I tried domain\user user@domain even domain.local versions of same and double checked caps lock to no avail.

noted a curious thing. when I look at the Settings>System>about instead of the normal three gray boxes one of which should say join a domain, I get this:

Cached logons not allowing user to log on when domain controller unavailable c4d816b4-940e-4010-a966-2166618701bf.png

Ray4x4x4, May 15, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

Cached logons not allowing user to log on when domain controller unavailable

Question for some1 with windows domain knowledge

The cached mode allows a login to the local machine in the event that the domain server is unavailable. They will have access to everything on the local machine, but (obviusly) the server resources will be unavailable.

Since you have two servers, you should set them both up as domain controllers, so that if one goes away (for whatever reason), the other can still authenticate the users.

Kreij, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Cached logons not allowing user to log on when domain controller unavailable

1. Cached logons not allowing user to log on when domain controller unavailable - Similar Threads - Cached logons allowing

2. Show all domain users in the logon screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Show all domain users in the logon screen: Hey!I have a Windows 10 PC that is part of a domain and has multiple Microsoft Entra ID accounts installed.How can I display all of those accounts in the Windows Logon screen?Right now it only shows the last account that logged in, but typing the email every time I need to...
  3. Show all domain users in the logon screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Show all domain users in the logon screen: Hey!I have a Windows 10 PC that is part of a domain and has multiple Microsoft Entra ID accounts installed.How can I display all of those accounts in the Windows Logon screen?Right now it only shows the last account that logged in, but typing the email every time I need to...
  4. Cached domain user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cached domain user: Hello,We are currently facing an issue: we had a domain user with admin privileges, let's say "username123." This user account was disabled a few months ago. On all computers, the path C:/Users/username123 was changed to C:/Users/username123_old, and the registry key...
  5. Cached domain user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cached domain user: Hello,We are currently facing an issue: we had a domain user with admin privileges, let's say "username123." This user account was disabled a few months ago. On all computers, the path C:/Users/username123 was changed to C:/Users/username123_old, and the registry key...
  6. Cached domain user

7. Allowing WiFi connection prior to windows logon for Domain Users at home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Allowing WiFi connection prior to windows logon for Domain Users at home: Good Day,We have many laptops in our organization and we would like them to be able to auto connect to their wifi at home prior to login to windows so they can connect to our vpn to receive Group Policy updates right at login.We currently have our policies to auto connect...
  8. Allowing WiFi connection prior to windows logon for Domain Users at home

Allowing WiFi connection prior to windows logon for Domain Users at home: Good Day,We have many laptops in our organization and we would like them to be able to auto connect to their wifi at home prior to login to windows so they can connect to our vpn to receive Group Policy updates right at login.We currently have our policies to auto connect...
  9. Allowing WiFi connection prior to windows logon for Domain Users at home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Cached Logon not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cached Logon not working: I work tech at the office and due to the current remote working situation, many users are having issues logging into their cached credentials when they're not connected to the domain. Any potential solutions?...