Windows 10: Calling OneDrive a Backup Solution is Misleading and Confusing

Discus and support Calling OneDrive a Backup Solution is Misleading and Confusing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If you are wondering why there are so many frustrated OneDrive users, it's because of the word "backup" and what people expect that to mean.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scott M. Stolz, May 28, 2020.

1. Calling OneDrive a Backup Solution is Misleading and Confusing

If you are wondering why there are so many frustrated OneDrive users, it's because of the word "backup" and what people expect that to mean.

Traditionally, backup meant that the local copy was the primary version, and the backup copy was stored elsewhere. So if you say OneDrive will backup your data, that is what people expect.

But, that is not how OneDrive works. OneDrive flips that and makes the OneDrive copy the primary copy, and your local copy the backup. If you try to detach from OneDrive or unlink a folder, it deletes the local files, which is not what people expect to happen.

I think this is why you see so many angry users posting about their files disappearing. They don't understand what OneDrive actually does.

Setting Expectation

Some ideas on how to handle expectation include:

1. Avoid using the word "backup" and instead explain that you are saving their data in the cloud as the primary copy, with a local copy for offline access.
    2. Allow people to use it as a regular backup solution. For example, allow people to detach folders from OneDrive and keep the local copy but delete the OneDrive copy. Or allow them to make the local copy the primary copy.
    3. Make it more obvious in the user interface which files and folders are stored in the cloud, and which are local only.

Providing Both a Backup Solution and a Cloud Solution

I think you will open up OneDrive to more users if you actually give people a choice of which copy is primary and which is not.

For example, there are some things that I want to be backed up, but I need the local copy to be the primary copy. Huge data sets come to mind. These are temporary files that I need to use locally and never use remotely. The primary version should be the local copy, not the remote copy. Since OneDrive does not allow me to make the local copy the primary copy, I use a competing solution to back up these files.

Other things that I need to access on multiple PCs, having OneDrive as the primary copy makes sense.

So I totally understand why you designed it the way you did, but you could make the product so much better by making some small tweaks to it, such as how you describe it and adding functionality for keeping the local copy as primary.

:)

Scott M. Stolz, May 28, 2020
  2. kernrsn Win User

W10 Mobile Lumia 830 Backup Not Being Saved to OneDrive

Thanks Chari San,

I understand I can not see what is contained in the backup stored on OneDrive, but I should see them listed. In my case there is not one being stored at all even though the phone reports it has backed up. See screenshots from OneDrive from my phone logged
    into the same account the phone is and the backup settings page above. Without the backup on OneDrive my restored phone will lose at least call history, start screen setup and installed app list from what I have found.

Step #2 is not displayed on the new phone. (How can it restore a backup that is not on OneDrive at all). It skips over that step and I get a default install on the new phone without my call history, start page or app history. I'm not sure what else I
    might be missing but for sure at least those 3 items do not come across.

How do I resolve this issue? Suggestions?

kernrsn, May 28, 2020
  3. OneDrive - Bait and switch (but to what?)

Yea, they just stopped giving unlimited space to Office subscribers as well. I use google drive, dropbox and I do use onedrive, but nothing major in onedrive. I read something about Amazon has that's not bad and is fairly cheap. It's called "Amazon Glacier". It's $0.007 per gigabyte per month, but it's not like google drive or onedrive. You upload your files and hours later you can get access to it. So, for backups it's not a bad solution, but if you need access to the files regularly then it wouldn't be.

Mindweaver, May 28, 2020
  4. Calling OneDrive a Backup Solution is Misleading and Confusing

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Calling OneDrive a Backup Solution is Misleading and Confusing

1. Calling OneDrive a Backup Solution is Misleading and Confusing - Similar Threads - Calling OneDrive Backup

2. Windows Backup confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Backup confusion: When you purchase Windows 11, the recommendation is to store and read files in OneDrive. Then there is the recommendation to Backup your files to OneDrive.As there are no copies of files in this instance, what is the difference if you back up these files or not?I have noticed...
  3. Windows Backup confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Backup confusion: When you purchase Windows 11, the recommendation is to store and read files in OneDrive. Then there is the recommendation to Backup your files to OneDrive.As there are no copies of files in this instance, what is the difference if you back up these files or not?I have noticed...
  4. Misleading !

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Misleading !: I have been trying to find out if I have TPM on my Lenovo G700 LAPTOP. I have submitted 3 print screens to show what I have checked to see if I have it. Hopefully the new Microsoft health check will establish once and for all if I will be able to install Windows 11 ! The...
  5. Onedrive Confusion

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Onedrive Confusion: When I log in to my OneDrive Account page on the web I am informed that I have a 365 Family account. I recently upgraded from Individual to Family. When I open my OneDrive folder on my Windows 10 Computer I am told that I have a 365 Individual account. How do I update my...
  6. OneDrive is so confusing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive is so confusing: I really don't understand how to use OneDrive. Why can't you make it more intuitive? I created a file on my laptop which I wanted to use on my desktop. What I expect to happen is that if I save it to OneDrive I should be able to find it on another computer. But no, I had...
  7. Backup confusions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup confusions: I have CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE on my external hard disk do I need to opt for SET UP BACKUP option? Also is it important to create SYSTEM REPAIR DISK, what does it do and can't i create it in same external hard disk? And how to check if system image has been created properly?...
  8. Confused about backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about backup: [img] I'm new to Win 10 and yesterday tried to back up my files for the first time. I went to setting>update & security>backup and tried to backup on a flash drive (to transfer to ext. HD), but got a message that files not yet backed up. I then exported my Firefox folders...
  9. OneDrive confusion

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive confusion: Shortly after installing this Win 10 PC over a year ago I removed/disabled its default OneDrive. I regarded it as redundant as I have a Dropbox Pro account. Dropbox - OneDrive-Disabled-1.jpg I've belatedly noticed today that I have about 1,500 files (3 GB) in several...
  10. Confused about OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about OneDrive: First post, as a newcomer to Win 10 after 15 years with XP (and all previous Windows OS versions). On this page Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10 I'm reading an explanation of OneDrive: "While you can always choose where to save files that you create,...