Windows 10: camera app that supports taking picture at fixed resolution

Discus and support camera app that supports taking picture at fixed resolution in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Samuria I have looked through the windows store using camera app as the search term. I see 445 apps. I see lots of PIP, blenders, add funny things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Davidsmithe, Apr 5, 2018.

1. camera app that supports taking picture at fixed resolution

Samuria
    I have looked through the windows store using camera app as the search term. I see 445 apps. I see lots of PIP, blenders, add funny things like bunny or cat ears to the picture. Other than camera alternative, I haven't seen any apps that control the camera, other than the windows camera app. What search terms are you using?

@Barman58
    Photo Reducer looks nice but it always resets the settings to defaults. Using Photo Reduced I found that the Ideal size for display on 4K TV gives me a reduced size file that still looks good. The default is perfect size for sending via email and the resulting picture is horrible. If it kept its settings between uses I could probably make this work.

@Berton
    I am using the built in camera on the surface pro 4. The default camera app doesn't have settings to customize the file format.

Davidsmithe, Apr 5, 2018

2. I am looking for a camera app that allows me to set the maximum resolution of the pictures being taken. The stock windows 10 camera app always takes a picture at the maximum resolution of the camera (3264x1836) so the resulting files are large. I have to take the pictures and upload them to a website for long term storage but they limit the maximum file size to 4Mb. A large number of the pictures I take are much larger than that. I want the camera app to either automatically shrink the resolution of the picture after it is taken or allow me to set a fixed resolution like 1024x768 or 1280x1024 or 1400x900. I have a surface pro 4 running windows 10 1803. It just updated to 1803 while I have been working on this problem. The stock camera app updated to version 2018.227.30.1000 and doesn't have this functionality either.

:)

Davidsmithe, May 1, 2018
  3. Nokia 1020 41-megapixal camera

Are you using the "camera" app or the "Lumia Camera" app?

Use the Lumia Camera app and under settings change the capture mode to 5 MP + 34 MP

When you take a picture there will be two files saved. Transfer the larger file to your PC then you will be able to print the higher resolution picture.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, May 1, 2018
  4. petrib Win User

camera app that supports taking picture at fixed resolution

Difference between high & basic quality image(both 1200*1600pixels)

Doesn't matter for phone & camera life. The camera sensor takes always same size pictures (best it can, or best the sensor has configured for), but in saving the picture, it may reduce the resolution/size.

Always take the highest resolution/quality pictures, as information lost in JPEG compression can never be recovered, but you can always shrink better pictures by cropping, changing resolution or increasing JPEG compression.

petrib, May 1, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum is this the pc camera or extrenal one its not clear

Samuria, May 1, 2018
  6. Barman58 Win User
    Don't know of a windows camera app that will do the job but there are many free image editing applications that can either crop or resample images either individually or in batches - the one I recommend is IrfanView, which can do everything you need and also convert formats to better suit web use - It also handles virtually any format you throw at it (some by use of plugins ) and is completely free

IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide

I know this adds an additional layer to your workflow but the design of this application will likely result in a more efficient workflow and actually be a better option

Barman58, May 1, 2018
  7. @Samuria
    I am using the built in camera that comes with the Surface Pro 4. The rear camera is 8.0 megapixel.

@Barman58
    I have used IrfanView in the past. I know how to use it, however these tablets will be used by people who don't know how to use technology well. Training is not an option as the turn-over rate is too high. I am trying to make this as easy as possible for the user, i.e. take picture, select browse, select picture, click upload. I really need a way to either automate the shrinking process or for the app to just take a lower resolution picture. The camera allows me to change aspect ratios which change the megapixel count for the picture:
    6MP 16:9 (3264x1836)
    8MP 4:3 (3264x1836)
    7.1 MP 3:2 (3264x1836)

All I need is something like:
    2.8MP 16:9 (1400x900) or equivalent.

Davidsmithe, May 1, 2018
  8. Samuria Win User

Have you look for other apps for the camera as there are lots of free ones

Samuria, May 1, 2018
  9. Barman58 Win User
    Only one I've seen with a quick check is Photo Reducer which may meet your needs, only you can decide if it is simple enough *Wink

Barman58, May 1, 2018
  10. Berton Win User
    An issue I helped a client with involved the file format, the RAW shots were averaging 20MB while the more compressed .jpg format had the same shot at between 3MB and 4MB. His camera was automatically saving both, filled up the memory card too quickly. Maybe a selection can be made or trained for .jpg only.

Berton, May 1, 2018
Thema:

1. camera app that supports taking picture at fixed resolution - Similar Threads - camera app supports

2. Windows camera apps support 4k resolution?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows camera apps support 4k resolution?: Dear Sirs,I use 4k WEB CAM but cannot select 4k resolution with Windows camera apps.Windows camera apps support 4k resolution?Manufacturer : ELECOMModel : UCAM-CX80FBBKResotution support : 3840×2160 pixel4khttps://www.elecom.co.jp/products/UCAM-CX80FBBK.htmlOS : Windows 10...
  3. Windows camera apps support 4k resolution?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows camera apps support 4k resolution?: Dear Sirs,I use 4k WEB CAM but cannot select 4k resolution with Windows camera apps.Windows camera apps support 4k resolution?Manufacturer : ELECOMModel : UCAM-CX80FBBKResotution support : 3840×2160 pixel4khttps://www.elecom.co.jp/products/UCAM-CX80FBBK.htmlOS : Windows 10...
  4. Windows camera apps support 4k resolution?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. camera does not take picture or video

camera does not take picture or video: The camera is not working, only seeing a black screen when app is open... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-does-not-take-picture-or-video/25bbff3a-5cd1-46d3-be82-8eba8d63dec2
  6. Camera App not working, unable to take picture.

Camera App not working, unable to take picture.: Unable to take a photo on My Surface Pro 7, I can take a video but not a photo. It comes up with this error code: "0xA00F4292<PhotoCaptureStartTimeout> [ATTACH]...
  7. Camera Not taking picture.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera Not taking picture.: Hi, I am not able to use Camera in my Laptop. If I open Camera App, front camera is recognized light started glowing, I could Front camera facing message on screen but when I click take photo button , some click sound is coming and it is NOT capturing photo. I have...
  8. Built in camera takes grainy pictures

Built in camera takes grainy pictures: My built in camera on my laptop takes grainy pictures, windows 10. How can this be fixed. Below is the specs of my laptop. TY Toshiba Satellite L55-C5272 Operating Systems Windows 10 hard drive capacity- 1 TB processor speed- 2.2 GHz processor brand- Intel processor type-...
  9. Built In Camera Takes pictures but no video

Built In Camera Takes pictures but no video: My built-in webcam/camera was working fine last week when I used it last. When I went to use it today, it would take pictures but not video which is what I need. Some solutions had to do with finding the camera on the control panel and device manager, but I couldn't find it...
  10. camera app that supports taking picture at fixed resolution

camera app that supports taking picture at fixed resolution: I am looking for a camera app that allows me to set the maximum resolution of the pictures being taken. The stock windows 10 camera app always takes a picture at the maximum resolution of the camera (3264x1836) so the resulting files are large. I have to take the pictures and...