Windows 10: Camera is not clear on Skype webcam and camera

Discus and support Camera is not clear on Skype webcam and camera in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Split from this thread. my camera is not clear on skype web cam and camera. I have tried everything. Nothing helps. wonder if its broken. There are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jennifer Stuart-Simpson, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Camera is not clear on Skype webcam and camera

Split from this thread.​

my camera is not clear on skype web cam and camera. I have tried everything. Nothing helps. wonder if its broken. There are no updated drivers to install. According to computer its working fine. Iv uninstalled it twice no difference. Iv changes the resolution, done a compatibility check. Looked at the exe file, done a properties check etc etc etc. Nothing has worked

Jennifer

:)

Jennifer Stuart-Simpson, Apr 30, 2020
  2. user13267 Win User

Reusing old laptop webcam as USB camera

I took the webcam from an old Compaq 620 laptop and after a few wire connections I can connect it to the USB port

For a few seconds it is detected as HP Webcam 2.0 in device manager under Cameras (which also shows the built in Webcam for this laptop), but then after a while the Device Manager window refreshes and the webcam from the old laptop goes under the node Imaging Devices and it is listed as HP Universal Camera Driver. The old laptop is broken so I cannot test it again, but if I remember correctly it's webcam used to shown as HP Webcam 2.0 as well, in device manager

However, the problem is that the external USB camera is not detected by any application. I have tested using online webcan test sites (eg, Webcam Test) and using Skype's camera settings window (it shows a preview of the selected webcam), but in both cases I can only see the built in webcam on the detected cameras list

Since the USB camera initially shows up as HP Webcam 2.0 for a few seconds initially (when auto installing drivers for the first time), if I manage to open skype's audio settings window within that period, the USB webcam does show up in the detected cameras list, but by them it will have become detected as HP Universal Camera driver and disappears from the skype camera list.

I have seen blogs and videos online of other people using their old laptop webcams as external USB webcams, so this should be possible for at least some models. Since it is consistently detected as a USB device I am supposing the connections are correct as well. I do have 4 diodes connected in series to the USB +5V line before it goes to the camera, and each diode drops about 0.5 V, so the camera is only seeing about 3 V. Since USB detection works up to the driver auto-installation point I am assuming power isn't an issue.

Is there anyway to test whether this webcam works as a USB webcam or not? Could this just be an issue of finding the correct drivers? Once this gets detected as HP Universal Camera Driver in the device manager, going to driver upgrade and auto-searching online only says the best driver is already installed. I have also tried searching for compaq 620 webcam windows 10 drivers but they don't seem to be available. Is there some kind of generic driver that should always work with any camera? Could this be a windows 10 issue? Would this work on linux? I'm not sure how to test webcams on Linux though.

EDIT:

I found possible drivers here:

HP Compaq 620 Drivers Download for Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP

I could not find camera drivers for Windows 10 in HP's official page. This new linked page claims the camera driver is for Windows 10, and says the device name is HP Webcam [2 MP Fixed], which is what I expect, downloading the driver downloads files whose name implies camera device is manufactured by realtek. While using the webcam in my old laptop before I never recall Realtek being associated with anything to do with the webcam (this name was associated with the network card only) and looking at the PCB of the webcam itself doesn't indicate it is related to realtek in any way. Would it be risky to try and install this driver anyway? The new laptop is also an HP with the webcam being detected as Asus. I just don't want the drivers for the USB webcam to interfere with the built in one.

EDIT 2:

I installed drivers from the link above. The camera now shows up under Imaging Devices (not sure why it does not show up under Camera like the built in webcam) node as HP Webcam 2.0. It is also detected by applications such as skype (shows up in camera setup window's detected cameras list) but if I select the webcam skype just hangs up and I need to force close it from the task manager. If I disconnect the webcam the built-in webcam shows up and skype runs normally. The driver download link above comes with a webcam testing utility called "RsCap.exe". This utility also shows the usb webcam in it's list, but hangs if I select and try to preview the webcam. If I disconnect the webcam the built in webcam previews normally and is pretty fast.

I booted the computer using a USB live install of puppy linux and used the built in USB scanning tool to scan for everything connected to USB. This is what it shows regarding the usb webcam and the built in webcam.

Built in webcam:

Usb webcam:

Is there anyway to use this usb webcam?

user13267, Apr 30, 2020
  3. tommyruud Win User
    Skype for Business' access to camera

Thanks, it worked!

For anyone else having the same problem:
    When activating the aforementioned setting you should restart Skype for Business completely. Mine Skype for Business still did not get listed in the lower list, but the camera is now activated.

tommyruud, Apr 30, 2020
  4. tommyruud Win User

Camera is not clear on Skype webcam and camera

Skype for Business' access to camera

Hi,

I have a new Huawei Matebook D14 with Windows 10 operating system. I have installed the Office-package and Skype for Business. In Windows' camera settings I can not activate the camera for Skype for Business, because Skype for Business is not listed as an alternative as an application to activate/deactivate. When I go to Skype for Business internal settings I get a message that says

"We can not find a camera: If you already have one, open device management in Windows to control that it is installed and working" (my own translation from Norwegian to English).

I have tried those basic tips and tricks. I have also tried to repair and reinstall Skype for Business.

The basic Skype-version is also installed and is listed in the list of applications that can have the camera acitvated/deactivated. The camera works with the basic Skype-version itself.

The problem seems to be that I do not have Skype for Business as an option inside Windows' settings for activating/deactivating the camera. Does anybody have a solution?

tommyruud, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

Camera is not clear on Skype webcam and camera

1. Camera is not clear on Skype webcam and camera - Similar Threads - Camera clear Skype

2. the video camera is not clear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the video camera is not clear: the video camera is not clear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-video-camera-is-not-clear/58706f0b-932f-48b0-8794-007a0d9721e6
  3. the video camera is not clear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the video camera is not clear: the video camera is not clear https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-video-camera-is-not-clear/58706f0b-932f-48b0-8794-007a0d9721e6
  4. Camera not working with Skype

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Camera not working with Skype: Hi All Lenovo ideapad 305 Windows 10 home 64 bit. All updates Last worked with Skype and Zoom back around June now does not work Camera can be seen working on Lenovo Vantage settings but skype just shows black screen Skype works with external USB camera PC Settings shows...
  5. Camera and Webcam

Camera and Webcam: I cannot use camera on my laptop. It seems it does not exist or cannot be found on Device Manager. I have received an error code of 0xA00F4244<NoCamerasAreAttached> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-and-webcam/d94ce0a1-3c8a-4e65-81f8-14eddde28167
  6. Webcam - not working with Mircosoft Apps - teams/skype/camera

Webcam - not working with Mircosoft Apps - teams/skype/camera: I can see the camera HP Webcam HD2300 in the device manager. the software is up to date. When I open zoom settings the camera is working. However, when I make zoom calls the camera is not working. This started happening yesterday in Teams and it affects everything. I...
  7. webcam/camera

webcam/camera: I have been utilizing Zoom app. without difficulty but now the program is indicating that it is unable to locate camera so I don't have full function of the app. I have been troubleshooting and am unable to find the problem to correct it. Any suggestions?...
  8. Skype Camera Controls

Skype Camera Controls: I haec Logitech HD Pro 920 camera. Using the Logitech App I can zoom etc and the image works fine. Using camera control settings in Skype, nothing changes. I have updated my Skype App home use. I use Windows 10 and Office 365. As a matter of fact I reloaded the software...
  9. "No camera found" on Skype

"No camera found" on Skype: Why do i have "video calling disabled, no camera found" on Skype ?. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Skype . Camera is turned on in settings , ,windows up to date too, antivirus up to date. where do i find Skype tool too please. I am new to internet Thank you * Moved from...
  10. camera settings for Skype

in Windows 10 Customization
    camera settings for Skype: In trying to make a video call on Skype, it gives me a message that says Skype needs permission to use your camera. When checking on my camera settings, it shows that it is on for Skype. What is the problem. The camera has worked in the past....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. camera windows 10 picture not clear