Windows 10: Camera with Hello when docked or not

Discus and support Camera with Hello when docked or not in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Am I missing something? Is Hello smart enough to use the laptop's camera when not docked, but then use the USB camera when docked? I've a Surface... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thanksegon, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Camera with Hello when docked or not

Am I missing something? Is Hello smart enough to use the laptop's camera when not docked, but then use the USB camera when docked? I've a Surface Laptop 2, Microsoft surface dock, and Logitech C920. I'm trying to use facial recognition but Windows 10 seems to only know how to use one camera at a time.

submitted by /u/thanksegon
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/thanksegon, Dec 9, 2019
  2. Edwin Win User

Use Logitech Brio Camera for Windows Hello Login when Laptop is Docked

Ugh! I think that's gonna take an app or a complex script of some sort!

I fooled around a bit...

Mine defaults to 'Main camera' (rear camera) when re-docked, I have to switch it manually...

Camera with Hello when docked or not [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 9, 2019
  3. ericnixmd Win User
    Use Logitech Brio Camera for Windows Hello Login when Laptop is Docked

My Dell Precision has a built-in IR camera, which works great when the laptop isn't docked. I have a Logitech Brio 4k camera connected to my docking station.

I cannot get Windows 10 to use the Brio when docked. It always defaults to the built-in IR camera even though the lid is closed.

Does anyone know of a way to set preferences so that the Brio is used when docked and the built-in camera is used when not docked?

ericnixmd, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Camera with Hello when docked or not

Can I turn off Windows Hello automatically when docked

I have the same problem too. I like to use Windows Hello as much as I can, but I obviously can't when I'm docked because the clamshell is closed, so I have to manually switch login methods to PIN (just my preference). In my opinion, if the clamshell is closed
    you should not even be presented with the option of a Windows Hello unlock since both the camera and fingerprint sensor (in my case) are both obstructed.

I would be happy with any of the following scenarios:

• Windows Hello is enabled when undocked, then switches to alternate login method when docked. When connected to a dock (I'm using a Dell XPS 9370 coupled to a dell TB16 Thunderbolt Dock), it would be nice if Windows would recognize that the clamshell is
      shut and that you are connected to a dock, and change the login method to password, PIN, fingerprint, or whatever.
    • The ability to use an additional Windows Hello enabled camera for use in docking scenarios. This way, Windows Hello functions when undocked by using the built in camera. When docked, Windows Hello continues to function by intelligently detecting that the
      machine is docked and switching to the additional Windows Hello enabled camera.
    • The ideal scenario for me is that Windows is intelligent enough that when unlocking or logging into the machine the following happens: Windows detects whether or not Windows Hello hardware is available or not. Windows determines what Windows Hello hardware
      is installed and whether it is available or not. Windows then begins immediately accepting input from whatever Windows Hello hardware is available (e.g. my clamshell is shut, so the built in camera isn't available, but I'm plugged into a dock that just so
      happens to have a Windows Hello enabled camera available. Alternatively, my clamshell is open, but the IR camera is having a hard time reading my face. This is okay, because the fingerprint sensor is available and a fingerprint is being presented for authentication)
      Windows Hello face detection scans for your face, meanwhile the fingerprint sensor (if equipped) is enabled and will allow you to login alternatively with a valid fingerprint whilst still attempting to scan for facial recognition. Meanwhile, when presented
      with the lock screen and Windows Hello is attempting to achieve either facial or fingerprint recognition, a text box is all the while available to accept either a password or PIN, either of which will automatically log you in/unlock your machine as soon as
      the password or PIN is entered correctly, without having to press enter.

Sorry for the bit of long-winded response, but this is the HMI that I see as ideal and I pray that this functionality is available in an upcoming Windows release.

WilliamMaykowski, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Camera with Hello when docked or not

1. Camera with Hello when docked or not - Similar Threads - Camera Hello docked

2. camera incompatible with hello

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    camera incompatible with hello: My camera is incompatible with Hello https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-incompatible-with-hello/f2522674-4b65-4314-9f91-8a657160597a
  3. camera incompatible with hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    camera incompatible with hello: My camera is incompatible with Hello https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-incompatible-with-hello/f2522674-4b65-4314-9f91-8a657160597a
  4. Windows Hello Camera

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello Camera: Hi. So I updated my windows last night. One of those periodic windows updateI’m not sure which one but I could check. Afterwards I haven’t been able to use my windows facial recognition to sign in. On the Lock Screen I get the “getting ready” option and then nothing happens....
  5. windows hello camera

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows hello camera: cannot find compatible camera https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-hello-camera/af04c1eb-0da2-4585-8fdc-605f53e76c07
  6. Hello camera

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hello camera: Microsoft created the facial recognition program hello So far so good But they forgot to deliver the hardware for it The cameras they sell are not compatible with hello You must use a camera from another brand.... I think that's stupid So come on microsoft show your...
  7. Select camera for Hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Select camera for Hello: Hi, I have a Surface Pro 6 and use the internal camera for Hello. This works great but since I have two big monitors my Surface is standing away from me so the recognition isn't always "friction free". I needed a new webcam so I invested into a Logitech Brio. However the...
  8. USB Windows Hello Compatibile camera and docking

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Windows Hello Compatibile camera and docking: I am trying to find cameras that are windows hello compatible that can double as a webcam. There aren't that many Windows Hello compatible camera period. A browse through the web reveal the following: 1. Logitech BRIO 4k - probably the only 4k camera. Steep at $200+ Frankly...
  9. Use Logitech Brio Camera for Windows Hello Login when Laptop is Docked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Use Logitech Brio Camera for Windows Hello Login when Laptop is Docked: My Dell Precision has a built-in IR camera, which works great when the laptop isn't docked. I have a Logitech Brio 4k camera connected to my docking station. I cannot get Windows 10 to use the Brio when docked. It always defaults to the built-in IR camera even though the lid...
  10. Use Logitech Brio Camera for Windows Hello Login when Laptop is Docked

in Windows 10 Support
    Use Logitech Brio Camera for Windows Hello Login when Laptop is Docked: My Dell Precision has a built-in IR camera, which works great when the laptop isn't docked. I have a Logitech Brio 4k camera connected to my docking station. I cannot get Windows 10 to use the Brio when docked. It always defaults to the built-in IR camera even though the lid...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to switch from laptop camera to webcam when docked