Windows 10: Can a file folder open in a window all by itself?

Discus and support Can a file folder open in a window all by itself? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can a file folder open it it's own window all by itself without any of the drive's other folder structure showing? I have certain folders I must refer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by idman, Mar 6, 2016.

1. idman Win User

Can a file folder open in a window all by itself?

Can a file folder open it it's own window all by itself without any of the drive's other folder structure showing?
    I have certain folders I must refer to frequently and I'd like to create a shortcut which would pop one open in a new window without having to wade through the whole drive's folder structure. This was normal on my last pc running XP but I can't seem to duplicate in Win10. Thanks if you can help.

Can a file folder open in a window all by itself? [​IMG]

:)

idman, Mar 6, 2016

2. A new window opens every time I open a folder in a particular library in File Explorer

WesleySantos, Mar 6, 2016
  3. cblee91 Win User
    A new window opens every time I open a folder in a particular library in File Explorer

Hey everybody!

It's actually a pretty simple fix if this still comes up. My dad was having the same problem and I just figured it out on my own.

On the folder, select "View" and select "Options" on the far right on the ribbon.

Under the Folder Options>Browse Folders you have two options

- Open each folder in the same window

- Open each folder in its own window

The problem should be the second option is selected, so just pick the first one and you'll be headache-free!

Hope this helps at least one person!

Chris

cblee91, Mar 6, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

I'm not sure if that is possible, but what I would do is drag the folder on explorer like shown below, that pins the folder like a shortcut so whenever you right click explorer in the taskbar you can quickly open that folder *Smile
    Apologies for the language, whenever I want to install english language package the update installation fails. This is a known bug so I'm waiting for a fix.

Attachment 68139

axe0, Mar 6, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Drag any folder from the folder icon at the beginning of the File Explorer addressbar to desktop to create a shortcut to that folder:

Kari, Mar 6, 2016
  6. idman Win User
    Yep I can do those things thanks....it's not quite the result I'm looking for though as it still opens a window with the entire drive's folder structure shown, requiring several clicks to get the the folder I really want.

idman, Mar 6, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Could you please explain that to me, seems that my limited brain capacity is not capable to understand it: if you need to open folder X:\MyStuff\MyFolder, and you create a shortcut to that folder on desktop, the folder X:\MyStuff\MyFolder will be opened in File Explorer when you double click or tap it.

What are the additional clicks needed after you open that shortcut?

Kari, Mar 6, 2016
  8. idman Win User

No problem Kari - the red arrows in my illustration are pointing at the folder I want quick access to. It doesn't look too bad in this example but if the folder I want to access is deeper into the folder structure it can involve scrolling and several clicks to get where I want to get with a single click.

idman, Mar 6, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    I am still confused. If you create a shortcut to a folder X:\MyStuff\1stLevelSubfolder\2ndLevelSubfolder\3rdLevelSubfolder\4thLevelSubfolder\5thLevelSubfolder \6thLevelSubfolder\7thLevelSubfolder on your desktop, and you tap or double click that shortcut to open it, it will be opened without any additional clicks.

Kari, Mar 6, 2016
  10. idman Win User
    Yes it'll open in it's own window but it's access to the folder structure I'm talking about, which can often be off the bottom of the page. If I want to search for a particular file in that 7th level subfolder I'll still have to scroll down there and find it before I can gain access to the left hand column. What I'd really like is to achieve this result (image below) where I isolate just the group of folders I desire and can readily explore any subfolder from the left hand column by clicking the arrow next to it.

idman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can a file folder open in a window all by itself? - Similar Threads - file folder open

2. Windows folder opening by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows folder opening by itself: hi i have an HP 360 Flip 10th Gen CORE i5 laptop, its been in use for the past 7months. i have recently been having issues with its "This PC" window opening automatically. very stressful experience i am having especially this morning, it just pops up very regularly, kindly...
  3. Windows folder opening by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows folder opening by itself: hi i have an HP 360 Flip 10th Gen CORE i5 laptop, its been in use for the past 7months. i have recently been having issues with its "This PC" window opening automatically. very stressful experience i am having especially this morning, it just pops up very regularly, kindly...
  4. My Folder Changed Itself To A 'File' Type, Can I Revert It?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Folder Changed Itself To A 'File' Type, Can I Revert It?: I tried to edit a video when i found out my video file was missing, i searched the subfolder where the videos recordings previously were for the problem and found all my videos gone with the only thing there being a file called USBCÔYÂ or something like that and so i scanned...
  5. File Path View to show only open folders not all folders

File Path View to show only open folders not all folders: I have file explorer setup to expand to the open folder in the navigation pane of file explorer. There is one specific folder that will only open the current file path for the folder i am in or show other folders within that folder that i have recently opened, but it does not...
  6. All folders open in a new window.

All folders open in a new window.: When I open a folder, it's open in a new window. All folders open in a new window. I want to resolve this problem. please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-open-in-a-new-window/adfe3506-25ad-4e33-9841-dfdc7af5fc80"
  7. file explorer keeps opening itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file explorer keeps opening itself: (This is a new PC with Windows 10 home, version 1803, OS build 17134.619. With an USB external drive is connected (as d:\ drive), file explorer keeps reporting problem (with the drive) and then opens the file explorer. This keeps going on and on by itself. Each time a...
  8. Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files

Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files: I have a lot of files stored on a flash drive in briefcases. However, the open/save as dialogs do not display all available folders. Why is that? What can I do to correct this major headache?...
  9. Opening folders in can sometimes open multiple windows of folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening folders in can sometimes open multiple windows of folders: This issue has been going on for months on end and an possible solution I've seen has not worked, any help would be appreciated! 93118
  10. Windows 10, Folders and files gone by itself?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10, Folders and files gone by itself?: Hello, i don't know how to happened. I noticed my menu bar icons started showing a different icon (the default windows program icon) for some reason and Internet sites html started messing up too, so i decided to reboot my computer. Now my background is gone, it's just...