Windows 10: Can a flash drive encrypted with BitLocker To Go on Windows 10 Pro be accessed read/write...

Discus and support Can a flash drive encrypted with BitLocker To Go on Windows 10 Pro be accessed read/write... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am writing a guidance document and don't have access to a Windows 7 or 8 machine and am hoping someone can help. I know I can encrypt a flash drive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ChrisTaylor2, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Can a flash drive encrypted with BitLocker To Go on Windows 10 Pro be accessed read/write...

I am writing a guidance document and don't have access to a Windows 7 or 8 machine and am hoping someone can help.

I know I can encrypt a flash drive on Windows 10 Pro using BitLocker To Go and then access it fully (read and write) on Windows 10 Home.

What I don't know is whether (assuming I chose "Compatibility mode" when encrypting) I can access it in both read and write modes if I plug it into any editions of Windows 7 or 8.

Some web searches indicate it will only be read-only mode, but other articles seem to refute that.

I can't find any answer on Microsoft documentation.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Chris

:)

ChrisTaylor2, Jul 5, 2019

2. Access Bitlocker-encrypted USB-drive on Windows 10 home

Hello,

this answer seems to be not correct.

I got my new notebook with Windows 10 home yesterday and I tested it. It works perfectly to access an USB-drive which I encrypted with Bitlocker on my desktop computer with Windows 10 pro. I can read and write files on this drive with both my computers.

Seems it is not possible to set up a Bitlocker encrypted drive in Windows 10 home, but it is possible to access such drives (read/write) with this Windows version.

I am really happy about this.

Regards

Burghard

Burghard.E, Jul 5, 2019
  3. Access Bitlocker-encrypted USB-drive on Windows 10 home

I am using a desktop computer with Windows 10 pro. I have my important data "to go" on a USB-drive which I encrypted using Bitlocker. This drive I can also access on my Notebook which runs Windows 7 (after having entered the password to unlock the USB-drive).

Now I am thinking to buy a new notebook which will be delivered with Windows 10 home. Will I still be able to access my Bitlocker-encrypted USB-drive on the new notebook (Windows 10 home)? I need to read and write data on this drive.

Burghard.E, Jul 5, 2019
  4. neilpzz Win User

Can a flash drive encrypted with BitLocker To Go on Windows 10 Pro be accessed read/write...

Bitlocker encrypted external/USB drive on Windows 10 Home

Interesting response. I thought bitlocker wasn't available in Home edition. But perhaps it just has the read only capability. There is certainly nothing found for Bitlocker in windows search.

[edit]

I have the Insider Preview running which is Pro. I have encrypted a flash drive using Bitlocker and then read it with the host Home edition. It does indeed recognise the drive is encrypted and asks for the password I used to encrypt it in Pro. And it allows
    me to write files to the drive in Home once I have entered the password.

You learn something every day.

neilpzz, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Can a flash drive encrypted with BitLocker To Go on Windows 10 Pro be accessed read/write...

1. Can a flash drive encrypted with BitLocker To Go on Windows 10 Pro be accessed read/write... - Similar Threads - flash drive encrypted

2. Read and write encrypted file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read and write encrypted file: Hi I have created an encrypted file using AES , stored this encrypted file into a folder in my D drive . This encrypted file consists of junk characters .My next task is to read that file . I have tried methods such as _tfopen_s and _wfopen_s etc. but I could not able to...
  3. BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker encryption on USB flash drives?: I just got myself a 64gb USB flash stick drive and would like to encrypt it with BitLocker encrypting the ENTIRE drive which is the way I prefer it to be. Is it safe to just encrypt the USB stick BEFORE adding data to it? Or, will it also be fine to add the data first and...
  4. Can I access a bitlocker encrypted (win10 pro feature) Drive on a Windows 10 home PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I access a bitlocker encrypted (win10 pro feature) Drive on a Windows 10 home PC?: Could I still get access on a external drive which is bitlocker encrypted? submitted by /u/noobatanything [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8mxl8/can_i_access_a_bitlocker_encrypted_win10_pro/
  5. Bitlocker encrypted drive access denied

Bitlocker encrypted drive access denied: When I open bitlocker password protected drive than error shows that "The code execution cannot proceed because FVEAPI.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". plz help me and how to fix this error. window 10 pro education version1909 [ATTACH]...
  6. Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive

Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive: I add bitlocker to one off my drive after window it cant open with the password and even with the bitlocker recovery key . ***Original title: Bitlocker***...
  7. Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds: I work on a lot of large .rtf files in Office. Sometimes when I click _Save_, the window freezes and gives me a loading wheel for 10 or 15 seconds before the document finally saved. Sometimes (less often) the file saves almost instantly. It's completely unaffected by how many...
  8. Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10

Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10: I have tried multiple solutions to troubleshoot or even just to distinguish what the problem is but nothing seems to work. 1.) I tried to copy and paste a file from my desktop to the flash drive but saw this: [ATTACH] 2.) Everyone including myself have permission to do...
  9. Accessing Bitlocker Drive Encryption menu

Accessing Bitlocker Drive Encryption menu: Although I'm an Admin on my Win 10 Pro system (Surface Laptop), I can't access the subject menu. Instead, I receive the SysAdmin notice, as in the screenshot. This seems like a new "feature," as I could access it from my previous Win 10 Surface. I suppose that I could make...
  10. Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home

Reading a BitLocker Encrypted USB in Windows 10 Home: I recently under went the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now find I can't read a BitLocker encrypted USB. Windows file explorer does not recognise the drive and there is no where I can enter the password. Can anybody help. Many thanks 20892