Windows 10: Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?

Discus and support Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Greetings. I set up Hyper-V in my Win 10 Anniversary install and created a Win 10 Virtual Machine which is fully activated. I tried setting up a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Davoodoo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Davoodoo Win User

Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password?

Greetings.

I set up Hyper-V in my Win 10 Anniversary install and created a Win 10 Virtual Machine which is fully activated.

I tried setting up a picture password for this VM. The Picture Password option was not available but I got it to show using gpedit. I then set a Picture Password but when I reboot, the Picture Password does not show up.

Is it possible to use a Picture Password in a Hyper-V VM?

:)

Davoodoo, Aug 7, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Will Windows Virtual PC still work with Windows 10?

No, it will not work, it is not supported. You can setup a new Virtual Machine using Hyper-V, but you will have provide your own Windows XP license. Windows XP Mode is not compatible with Hyper-V

How
    to setup a virtual machine using Hyper-V

Andre Da Costa, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Are you using Enhanced Mode with that Windows 10 vm? If so, read this quote from another thread:

Hyper-V Enhanced Mode is based on RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) and requires a password, PIN and Picture Password do not work in Enhanced Mode. Therefore, logically when signing in with password using Enhanced Mode the PIN and Picture Password options are also missing from Sign-in options​:

Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password? [​IMG]

As soon as you switch from Enhanced Mode to normal mode, PIN and Picture Password will become available:

Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password? [​IMG]

Screenshots taken just now, both from same Hyper-V vm. First when using Enhanced Mode, second when using normal mode. Short: you cannot use PIN and Picture Password to sign in to your vm if using Enhanced Mode connection. turning Enhanced Mode off you can use any sign-in method including PIN and Picture Password.

Kari, Aug 8, 2016
  5. Davoodoo Win User
    A very detailed answer. Thanks Kari. Much appreciated.

Davoodoo, Aug 8, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    The advantages of enhanced mode far outweigh the minor inconvenience of not being able to use a picture password.

cereberus, Aug 8, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    You are welcome!

Exactly *Smile

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can a Hyper-V Virtual Machine use a Picture Password? - Similar Threads - Hyper Virtual Machine

2. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  3. Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Machine using Hyper - V Manager: Hi,I made a Virtual Machine using Hyper-V Manager with VHD attached that is running XP. I do get this message when I start up it up from the image I attached. I was told to add XP IDE files that I extracted. My question is: Will I need to attach these files to the VHD for it...
  4. Hyper-V virtual machine very slow to start? Speed-up Hyper-V virtual machine!

in Windows 10 News
    Hyper-V virtual machine very slow to start? Speed-up Hyper-V virtual machine!: [ATTACH]If you have installed Windows 11 in Hyper-V, but the virtual machine is very slow to start, here are some tweaks that might speed it up. Although several things are responsible for this slowness, these common changes might be handy for you. Whether you have installed...
  5. Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues with Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi all, I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine. It's configured to use Hyper-V's "Default Switch" network adapter, but for some reason, the VM doesn't seem to get internet access. My computer is connected to the Internet (both through Wi-Fi and Ethernet). I've...
  6. Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper V- Virtual Machine Error: While starting the Vistual Machine i am facing the below error shown in Event Viewer. Plz Help me out to resolve this problem. License Activation (slui.exe) failed with the following error code: hr=0x8007232B Command-line arguments:...
  7. Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper V not connecting to virtual machine: Suddenly, Hyper V would not connect to any Virtual Machine using the Virtual Machine Connection. I trying creating new VMs and nothing worked. I am using Windows 10 Education....
  8. Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines: How to: Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines Running Windows on a virtual machine can naturally never be as fast as same version of Windows on same computer running on physical hardware. However, by tweaking virtual machine settings, you can greatly impact the speed and...
  9. Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine [img] Information Nested Virtualization means that user can enable Hyper-V on existing virtual machines, and run virtual machines and Windows Sandbox on them. To make Nested Virtualization...
  10. Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines: Hi, I was wondering if all I really need to do to backup activated virtual machines but not associated virtual hard drives is just to copy the virtual hard drive folder to another drive (or even one drive) . All I am really interested is in saving the machines which have...
Tags: