Windows 10: Can a local user be changed to a child account?

Discus and support Can a local user be changed to a child account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home ver 1909 Hello, I'm trying to see if there's a way to change a local account (standard user) to a child account so it can be managed... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JS1701, Aug 8, 2020.

1. JS1701 Win User

Can a local user be changed to a child account?

Windows 10 Home
    ver 1909

Hello,

I'm trying to see if there's a way to change a local account (standard user) to a child account so it can be managed in the Microsoft Family?

I tried to follow the steps here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-c8f8cca1d52f

but there's no option for "family and other users".

They do not have Microsoft accounts. Do I need to basically create a new child account at Windows setup?

Any assistance appreciated.

:)

JS1701, Aug 8, 2020

2. Child can convert to local account to bypass family safety in windows 10 ?

I made brand new accounts for me and my son, with my sons age under 18, set up the child relationship, etc, and:

• The child can change their account to use a local account, on the Surface
    • The child can change their birthdate in account.microsoft.com

BruceCampbell444, Aug 8, 2020
  3. How to change an "other users" account to a family child account

I have the exact same problem. I have read this entire thread and still find no solution to the problem. My computer has updated to windows 10 as well. My child's account is now under the
    other users accounts and I want to transfer him to a
    family child account without having to create a new account and be able to place child restriction settings. However, the solution you provided doesn't help. This is what your instruction entails...

If your child already has a user account on your PC, you can still add them to your family.

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap
      Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click
      Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

• Tap or click Accounts, and then tap or click Other accounts.

• Select the account you want, and then tap or click Edit.

If your child doesn't have a standard user account, see the previous To create a new child's account steps.

• In the Account type list, select Child and then tap or click
      OK. ---->>> This part doesn't exist. It only gives you the option to change account type from
      local account to administrator. What I want to do is move the existing account to family CHILD account! PLEASE PROVIDE NEW SOLUTION ASAP!!!! THANK YOU!

GianinaClark, Aug 8, 2020
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Forgot Child's Password

Hi Jason,

It's possible that you'll be able to change the password through your own administrator account. Just to confirm, is your daughter's account a Microsoft account, or a local user account?

If it's a local account, remove or change the password from the Control Panel. Sign in using your administrator account, then follow these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    • Click User Accounts.
    • Click Manage another account.
    • If the User Account Control window pops up, click Yes.
    • Choose the local account that you want.
    • Click Change the password.
    • Leave the password fields empty if you want to remove the password. Otherwise, enter the new password that you want to use, as wells as a hint and click
      Change password.

If it's a Microsoft family account, follow these steps to remove your child's account:

here
    • On the right side of your child's account, click Remove.
    • Click Remove again.

After removing the account, you can set up your child's account again. Make sure that you have the correct password when you sign in.

Let us know if you're able to change or remove the password of your child's account after following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Can a local user be changed to a child account? - Similar Threads - local user changed

2. How to change from child account to local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change from child account to local account: I have been looking for this for a while. I signed into a child account in Microsoft Family and want to change back to a local account because it's restricting me from Google I am using Microsoft Edge by the way. I have looked and cannot see a single button that says "change...
  3. How to change from child account to local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change from child account to local account: I have been looking for this for a while. I signed into a child account in Microsoft Family and want to change back to a local account because it's restricting me from Google I am using Microsoft Edge by the way. I have looked and cannot see a single button that says "change...
  4. How to change from child account to local account

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  6. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  7. Can not change MS account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MS account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  8. Can not change MC account to local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not change MC account to local account: I am running 2004 and I set up my laptop with a MS account, I dont like the fact that it shouts my full name everywhere but the setting does not appear anywhere to log in as a local account which it should and I have followed many guides to fix this and none of them did fix...
  9. How to change a windows 10 local child account to a microsoft outlook child account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change a windows 10 local child account to a microsoft outlook child account?: I created a window 10 standard user account for my child. I did not know how to create a child microsoft outlook email account at the time I created the windows 10 login for my child. I now have a child's outlook email that I want the windows 10 child account to link to. How...
  10. Changing to a local user account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing to a local user account.: Hey guys, I am thinking of changing to a local user account. My main questions is, when there is a windows update (1809 to 1903) would my personal settings be still there when i upgrade or will I have to redo my settings? Also, if I change to a local account, would that...