Windows 10: Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?

Discus and support Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; 4 months out of warranty, the SSD in my Lenovo Yoga 920 died. I was going to replace it with another 80mm SATA 3 SSD but just discovered NVMe SSDs. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by visibility, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?

4 months out of warranty, the SSD in my Lenovo Yoga 920 died. I was going to replace it with another 80mm SATA 3 SSD but just discovered NVMe SSDs. I'm wondering whether I can use one of these or whether in fact some devices do or don't have NVMe support.

:)

visibility, Aug 7, 2019

2. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 7, 2019
  3. swarfega Win User
    NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

Today I got the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb NVMe drive. Previously I was using the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive.

The two screenshots below show the difference between Sata 3 based SSD and an NVMe one.

Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3? [​IMG]

So for those of you who are thinking about getting one and weren't aware of the difference in performance, I think its definitely worth it.

swarfega, Aug 7, 2019
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?

NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

One more for the pot. NVMe PM961 SSD SAMSUNG

f14tomcat, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?

1. Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3? - Similar Threads - NVMe SSD simply

2. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  3. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?

in Windows 10 News
    What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?: The storage world can be a confusing place, particularly for those trying to learn the basics. It’s a difference that might not seem like a big deal, but it can really affect how your system runs. Today we are talking about SATA-based SSD and NVMe-based SSD. What are the...
  6. sata power and sata 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata power and sata 3: i looked on amazon and i couldn't find a good sata 3 to usb 3 and a sata power that would fit with the sata 3. Does anybody have a link to what im looking for? Sata 3 2.5 inches. https://imgur.com/5DFguai...
  7. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  8. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  9. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?: I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card. The issue is what hardware to use to clone the old drive to the new one. My mobo has one M.2 slot for SSD's so I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2...
  10. NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison: Today I got the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb NVMe drive. Previously I was using the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive. The two screenshots below show the difference between Sata 3 based SSD and an NVMe one. [img] [img] So for those of you who are thinking about getting one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. replace pcie ssd with nvm

2. can pcie replace sata

3. can you replace an ssd with an nvme

4. replace 1tb sata3 m.2 ssd replace with nvme,
  5. replace sata 3 with nvme