Windows 10: Can a parent/ admin user in my Microsoft Family group remotely access other users? Please...

Discus and support Can a parent/ admin user in my Microsoft Family group remotely access other users? Please... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; This all started when I was setting up my user account on my new Windows 10 device, at my parent's house. However, I forgot that the email I used was... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Sam7564, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Sam7564 Win User

Can a parent/ admin user in my Microsoft Family group remotely access other users? Please...

This all started when I was setting up my user account on my new Windows 10 device, at my parent's house. However, I forgot that the email I used was previously linked with a Microsoft Family group. This group was set up by my Aunt for me to use at her house. Later that day, I got kicked off my account by parental controls. I was confused at first, but a few days later I made the connection between this issue and the MS Family group owned by my Aunt.

My Aunt is not on good terms with my Parents, who also use the new device. I have since stopped using that user account which was linked to the MS Family group so I don't have to deal with my Aunt's parental controls. But, I am scared that she can remotely access my parent's accounts on the new device. I have been so worried that she will: steal their private files, access the microphone/ webcam, or can see whats on their screen. Even if MS family admins can't normally do this, she is an expert in computer programming and computer science. I am scared that she can use MS family to remotely access my Parent's accounts and do bad things. She could even be using a key logger for all I know!

Please reply to me quickly. I need to know if she is able to access my device, and what I can do to stop it.

:)

Sam7564, Oct 31, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 31, 2020
  3. after windows 10 pro upgrade - no "remote desktop users" group

After Pro upgrade, I was unable to assign users to allow remote desktop. "Select Users ..." button is greyed out.

There is no "Remote Desktop Users" group

Tried manually adding the group with no success.

Also tried group policy with no success.

Any suggestions?

pcadvice-dennis, Oct 31, 2020
  4. Can a parent/ admin user in my Microsoft Family group remotely access other users? Please...

Accessing Security Users/Groups in Win10 Home

Hello,

I would like to use this feature as I know it is buried deep inside Windows 10 Home Edition but when I launch the lusrmgr.msc control panel it tells me that the snapin cannot be used with this version of Windows and to use the User Accounts CP. I can see that the functionality is in fact used but buried in Windows 10 Home because it shows up in many instances when you right click on things and do a "deep dive" into the security tab and advanced. How can I get at this functionality/feature for Windows 10 Home Edition.

I am a help desk tech with 25 years experience, going to computer cert school and at home during the current lock down of the world and I am looking for things to do and would like to learn this. I discovered it because I wanted to look at the contents of my WindowsApp folder but it told me I do not have access and gave me a cursory instruction list of how to gain access but I have a user/group that comes up as corrupted and instructing me to delete it but it will not allow for the deletion as it is greyed out. I am the 100% owner admin on my laptop. I have long ago taken full 100% ownership of everything on my laptop.

Sincerely,

Here are screenshots of what I see:

Can a parent/ admin user in my Microsoft Family group remotely access other users? Please... [​IMG]

Can a parent/ admin user in my Microsoft Family group remotely access other users? Please... [​IMG]

Wonder Woman, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

Can a parent/ admin user in my Microsoft Family group remotely access other users? Please...

1. Can a parent/ admin user in my Microsoft Family group remotely access other users? Please... - Similar Threads - parent admin user

2. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group: I need to connect to the company Server, and I get this error:A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents me from logging in.[Content]A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents you from logging in. For assistance, contact your system...
  3. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group: I need to connect to the company Server, and I get this error:A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents me from logging in.[Content]A user account restriction such as a time restriction prevents you from logging in. For assistance, contact your system...
  4. Microsoft Remote Desktop after add user to the Protected Users group

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I cannot access family and other users.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot access family and other users.: When I try to open Settings>Accounts>Family and other users, it simply closes settings and does nothing. I had a similar problem with the windows defender anti-virus, but I ended up just installing another anti-virus after taking it to a shop that also couldn't figure out...
  6. I cannot access family and other users.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot access family and other users.: When I try to open Settings>Accounts>Family and other users, it simply closes settings and does nothing. I had a similar problem with the windows defender anti-virus, but I ended up just installing another anti-virus after taking it to a shop that also couldn't figure out...
  7. one user can access, other user cannot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    one user can access, other user cannot: Two Win10Pro vers 20xx computers, Ethernet LAN. In compD (destination): - password protected sharing is OFF - shares give full control permission to Everyone. CompS (source) UsernameS (standard account) can access compD (dest) which also has UsenameS. CompS Explorer lists...
  8. Will leaving a family group in Microsoft Family alert the parents of the group?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Will leaving a family group in Microsoft Family alert the parents of the group?: If a member of the family who is over 13 leaves the group, will the parents be notified? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-leaving-a-family-group-in-microsoft-family/6522fe46-a9a1-4a37-a2ec-072fc96994fc
  9. Family & other users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family & other users: How can someone else’s family be in charge of my sons family & other users? We didnt set up this family group. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/family-other-users/f60fb5eb-f70b-4246-a788-dc8f85376e64
  10. Family & Other Users

in Windows 10 Customization
    Family & Other Users: Under Settings - Accounts - Family & Other Users, I'm getting a red-letter message that "We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date". Any idea what could be causing this?...