Windows 10: Can a remote desktop run a program on that computer?

Discus and support Can a remote desktop run a program on that computer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Like run a FTP program then use it to upload files, win10 has become a pain I need to reboot it alot and my upload speeds are 70k LOL 67042 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZippyDSMlee, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Can a remote desktop run a program on that computer?

Like run a FTP program then use it to upload files, win10 has become a pain I need to reboot it alot and my upload speeds are 70k LOL

:)

ZippyDSMlee, Oct 15, 2016

2. How do you run a program that is not on desktop

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to know the program that you are trying to install.

This issue may arise when the program is already been installed on the computer or the computer has the earlier version or some residual files of the particular application which has been installed earlier.

I suggest you to click on uninstall and see what happens to the file. Once the uninstallation process finish check whether you are able to install it again.

If you are trying to access the program that is already installed and if the shortcut is not available, I suggest you to access the folder where the software has been installed and right click on the file and select create
    short option.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 15, 2016
  3. How do you run a program that is not on desktop

How do I run a program? If I open my program file the only thing I can do is uninstall or delete the program. Before 10 I could list my installed program and double click on the one I wanted to run. What have you idiots ant Microsoft done now?

Busterbrown64, Oct 15, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Can a remote desktop run a program on that computer?

Yes any computer can run any program that is installed on the hard drive. Do not know about the LOL. Has nothing to do with the question. As for rebooting a remote unit, you have to have special gear and a way to connect with it to force the computer that you are having issues with to reboot.

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  5. er that 70kbps >< download is nearly 1000. And the LOL is to laugh at the crap I am stuck with Can a remote desktop run a program on that computer? :p

6. bro67 Win User
    Again the LOL and the rest of this sentence does not help to get answers. You can laugh all that you want about your situation, but I am not laughing if you really want someone to answer you seriously. Try a different approach next time if you expect help with figuring out the issue.

bro67, Oct 15, 2016
  7. K.... anyway can you open a file on your computer and have the program on the server run it on the server? I'm trying to figure out how much I need to do, almost wish you could run a remote computer more like a VM but it should be about sameish as far as interface goes?

8. Berton Win User

As for the remote reboot, several years ago a shop I worked in used an APC device that allowed logging into from the 'net and shutdown or restart devices plugged into it, had several ports. We used 3, two with banks of modems and another with a few servers.
    APC Remote Power Switch

Berton, Oct 16, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Most KVMs support remote restart capability. You can also cause a reboot through a remote session through the shutdown command at the command line, or its equivalent (I use 8GadgetPack to run gadgets on my Win10 machines, and the "Control System" gadget includes a restart button that works both locally and remotely).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  10. Ask sorry I was not being clear(late night posting FTW)

Trying to offload some programs to the server, I have to reboot my main computer alot(a few times aweek) so when it's recording live stream(6am-8pmest, wgow 102.3 talk radio FM),ect it will break my MP3s. The FTP stuff can take a while so I would rather it upload it off the server than the main PC.

Some of the programs I use don't have a remote option so my main question is, can I move my files onto the server and have the program on the server use the server resources to upload the files?

Would something like AeroAdmin work?

ZippyDSMlee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can a remote desktop run a program on that computer? - Similar Threads - remote desktop run

2. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  3. Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop Connection cannot connect to the remote computer.: Greetings to the well of knowledge.We have a remote desktop farm consisting of one broker Server 2016 and four RD servers Server 2012R2, all of which are running in Azure. They were moved to Azure in a lift-and-shift operation from our physical servers.Over the past month or...
  4. Remote Desktop can’t find the computer

in Windows 10 News
    Remote Desktop can’t find the computer: [ATTACH]Remote Desktop is a powerful and handy feature that allows you to connect to another computer on the same network or the one available over a dedicated network available for access. When trying to connect to a remote computer, if it cannot find the PC, this post will...
  5. can i make my desktop available from remote computers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can i make my desktop available from remote computers: can i make my desktop available from remote computers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-make-my-desktop-available-from-remote/43ea5ed0-9ee5-4bd8-8002-b97038b6d990
  6. Remote desktop does not open some programs.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop does not open some programs.: when I'm using remote desktop on my android cell phone and i try to run some programs they don't work, how i can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-does-not-open-some-programs/64900cf4-c0bf-4c39-87b8-3782377321c7
  7. Can not remote desktop into Windows 2004 computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can not remote desktop into Windows 2004 computers: The settings are all the same unless an update actually changed them, from when it was working on 1909. RDS gives me an event ID 227, various disconnect reason codes (0, 5, 17, a couple others). There's a warning or error about transition. Sorry it's been a long night and I...
  8. Remote desktop connection and fitting programs

Remote desktop connection and fitting programs: Hi, I'm on connected via remote desktop to school computers. One program is fitted for a huge screen and I don't have the admin rights for the remote computer so I can't change the resolution there. My laptop screen won't show the program UI properly, the bottom part is not...
  9. Remote Desktop is preventing program runs

Remote Desktop is preventing program runs: Hello, I have a computer setup where users remotely connect from their windows 10 device to another windows 10 device to run a testing program. originally the remote computers were windows 7. Users were able to start a test run and lock their local computer and the remote...
  10. Remote Desktop Freezes Running Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Freezes Running Remote Desktop: I recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 10 with a 4K UHD display. I frequently use remote desktop with my laptop to connect to a Windows 10 desktop system in my home. I've been doing this for years without a problem until I upgraded my laptop to a 4K UHD display....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. run a program on another computer remote desktop