Windows 10: Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

Discus and support Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Because the recent windows 10 update my computer became unusable. I couldn't access the computer because the sign in prompt disappeared and trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MichaelHatten1, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

Because the recent windows 10 update my computer became unusable.

I couldn't access the computer because the sign in prompt disappeared and trying to do an update rollback or repair or recovery through safe mode failed.

So I had to reinstall my old windows 7 pro just to be able to access the computer.

Now, I am willing to buy the $200 windows 10 pro to upgrade from windows 7 pro but I'm having a problem downloading it from Microsoft.

The website keeps telling me that there is a problem and I should try again when I go to checkout.

But no matter how much I re-try it the same error occurs.

It appears that Microsoft doesn't want my money..

I want to bypass the download from Microsoft since it isn't working for me.

I can buy the Windows 10 pro retail from NewEgg on a memory stick

Can the windows 10 pro retail upgrade a windows 7 pro OEM?

:)

MichaelHatten1, Sep 25, 2020
  2. patkim Win User

Understanding difference between OEM & Retail Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade if any

Hi,

I am aware that you can upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by following certain steps and paying a fee to Microsoft to get a new Pro license.

However what I am not clear is about the type of license that Windows 10 Pro then comes with after an upgrade

When I upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, do I still retain the license as Windows 10 Pro OEM or does it now become a retail Pro license?

If it still remains as OEM License, is there a difference in the fee structure for upgrading OEM Home to Pro & Retail Home to Pro?

As I understand a retail license offers flexibility to move to another computer but OEM does not. OEM is tied to the first motherboard on which it's activated.

Thanks

patkim, Sep 25, 2020
  3. Mrsmith64 Win User
    License Carried Over from Windows OEM to Windows Upgrade Retail

I'm in a process of doing system upgrade on two computers which would be swapping out the motherboard, CPU and memory, I just a bit confuse on if I currently have a retail version of windows or OEM which I understand can't be transfer.

The first system had the following OS upgrades:

Windows 7 Pro OEM -> Upgrade version Windows 8 pro Retail -> Windows 8.1 Pro -> Windows 10 Pro

My first question is when upgrading from Windows 7 Pro OEM to WIndows 8 Pro Retail convert the license to Windows 8 Retail or Windows 8 OEM?

My other question is if it is retail after the upgrade do I have to install windows 8 again and activate it on the new hardware and upgrade to windows 10 or can I just call Microsoft to get windows 10 reactivated?

The second system had the following OS upgrades:

Windows Vista (I think it was Home and assume it was OEM as it came on a HP desktop) and done a windows 7 pro upgrade retail on it and now on Windows 10 pro.

Same questions for this system.

Thanks for any help on this.

Mrsmith64, Sep 25, 2020
  4. JimN262 Win User

Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!

Hello,
    I current have Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit installed from a Retail (not OEM) copy.

If I read the tutorials correctly, I understand that if I install the free upgrade to Windows 10, there is no product key and it is tied to my hardware. Even if I create install media, it will only install on my hardware.

Is it true that to get this I have to give up the right that the Retail Edition confers to move it from one machine to another?

Also, just to avoid another unpleasant surprise, may I presume Pro exchanges for Pro, x64 for x64 etc.?

Thank you,
    --
    Jim

JimN262, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

1. Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM? - Similar Threads - retail Version pro

2. windows 11 pro oem to retail?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 pro oem to retail?: i purchased a prebuilt pc that came with a windows 10 pro oem license eligible for the windows 11 upgrade. i have since upgraded to the windows 11 pro oem version. my question is if i purchase a windows 11 pro retail license, can i change the installed version by changing the...
  3. windows 11 pro oem to retail?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 pro oem to retail?: i purchased a prebuilt pc that came with a windows 10 pro oem license eligible for the windows 11 upgrade. i have since upgraded to the windows 11 pro oem version. my question is if i purchase a windows 11 pro retail license, can i change the installed version by changing the...
  4. Windows 10 home oem factory to Windows 10 Pro retail version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 home oem factory to Windows 10 Pro retail version: Can you use the windows 10 Pro retail version to upgrade an installed oem windows 10 home on a new laptop, and not reset any of the current installed settings and programs. Will windows 10 pro retail work as like installing an upgrade version to change the OS to pro retail...
  5. BAD RETAIL VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 PRO FROM RETAILER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BAD RETAIL VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 PRO FROM RETAILER: I bought a full copy of Windows 10 Pro from newegg, not an OEM copy. After trying to tech the new build for 3 weekends, thinking it was a bad CPU or memory stick, I took it to the local repair shop. He tried to install from the USB and got the same blue screen I was getting...
  6. is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    is it possible to upgrade windows from 10 pro OEM to 10 pro retail: Hi, I just bought a new PC yesterday with windows 10 pro OEM. Is it possible to upgrade it to windows 10 pro retail? OEM to retail is the only change I want to do. Since it's a new PC which did not arrive from the store yet, I don't care if data will be lost. I DON'T have a...
  7. Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have Windows 10 Pro Retail license previously in my old PC (own build) and now I bought a new Dell PC with Windows 10 Home OEM installed. How can I upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM in the Dell PC with Windows 10 Pro license from another PC? I don't use the old PC (own build)...
  8. OEM Home to PRO Retail

OEM Home to PRO Retail: I recently bought a Professional Retail Licence. After I the 1903 Update, I decided to perform clean install by using USB Drive. I added ei.cfg [EditionID] Professional [Channel] Retail [VL] 0 I also add pid.txt to automate install, After installation is complete. I...
  9. Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!

Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!: Hello, I current have Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit installed from a Retail (not OEM) copy. If I read the tutorials correctly, I understand that if I install the free upgrade to Windows 10, there is no product key and it is tied to my hardware. Even if I create install media,...
  10. Retail version of 10 pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version of 10 pro: I've noticed that retail versions of 10 are available, do the purchasers have the same rights to chop and change as was possible with older Windows? 41814