Windows 10: Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10?

Discus and support Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can a single ISO (USB installer) be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall windows10?g used the Microsoft page to create a bootable installation USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pintree3, Dec 16, 2016.

1. pintree3 Win User

Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10?

Can a single ISO (USB installer) be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall windows10?g used the Microsoft page to create a bootable installation USB drive for my laptop (Acer) via the "Win10-MediaCreationTool" I was wondering if I can use the same one on my other laptop (Dell)? If the Win10-MediaCreationTool takes the serial while creating the bootable then the answer would be no, but if the serial is only added after the new installation then I would assume it may be used. Or am I wrong?

Can a single ISO (USB installer) be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall windows10?

Having used the Microsoft page to create a bootable installation USB drive for my laptop (Acer) via the "Win10-MediaCreationTool" I was wondering if I can use the same one on my other laptop (Dell)? If the Win10-MediaCreationTool takes the serial while creating the bootable then the answer would be no, but if the serial is only added after the new installation then I would assume it may be used. Or am I wrong?Having used the Microsoft page to create a bootable installation USB drive for my laptop (Acer) via the "Win10-MediaCreationTool" I was wondering if I can use the same one on my other laptop (Dell)? If the Win10-MediaCreationTool takes the serial while creating the bootable then the answer would be no, but if the serial is only added after the new installation then I would assume it may be used. Or am I wrong?

Can a single ISO (USB installer) be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall windows1

:)

pintree3, Dec 16, 2016

2. Can a product key be used to activate a different product?

Where did you purchase this Windows 10 Pro OEM key? OEM keys are never sold separately as a digital download and must be bought as part of a complete package including: install media, documentation.

You can try this as a work around then enter your OEM key:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the following default product key:

VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Review instructions how to perform an Easy Upgrade using the default key:

How
    to Perform an Easy Upgrade in Windows 10

After upgrading, proceed to enter the Windows 10 Pro OEM product key.

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

Andre Da Costa, Dec 16, 2016
  3. ANToews Win User
    Can a product key be used to activate a different product?

I bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key. When I finally got it activated through the activation line, the OS shows as Windows 10 Home. Is it possible for a Pro key to be used to activate Home, or did I get ripped off?

ANToews, Dec 16, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

When you use the Media Creation Tool to make the USB install media you are asked to choose which architecture you want (32 bit, 64 bit or both) and a language. That's all - the USB doesn't hold any information about the machine that you ran the MCT on to make the USB.

You can use the USB to do a clean install on as many machines as you like, provided you want the same language on each (and the same architecture, if you chose to download just one). The same USB can be used to do a clean install of Home or Pro, you will be asked to choose when you run Setup. Note that if you are doing a clean install on a machine that already had an activated copy of Windows 10 it has a digital licence on Microsoft's activation servers. The clean install will activate automatically. You can change the architecture (32/64 bit} but cannot change the edition (Home or Pro) or it will not activate.

For an upgrade install you must use the same architecture as the version being upgrade. Setup will choose the appropriate edition (Home or Pro) depending on what version is already installed.

5. Clint Win User
    I have ask this question before, but never got a yes or no answer. Can a single USB drive be used to install on a UEFI and a Legacy BIOS system?

Clint, Dec 16, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If it is created properly, yes it can. Need to check that it has a FAT32 partition and the partition is marked as active. If the partition on the USB flash drive is NTFS - then it will most likely boot under legacy BIOS mode only. If the partition is not marked as active, then it will most likely boot under UEFI only. FAT32 + active is likely bootable under both.

NavyLCDR, Dec 16, 2016
  7. Clint Win User
    Thanks NavyLCDR. I'm taking that as a yes.

Clint, Dec 16, 2016
  8. pintree3 Win User

Thanks Bree. Yes, both have x64, both English and both Home and both were originally upgraded to Win 10. But if memory serves me right one may have been originally WIn 7 while the other was definitely Win 8.1.

pintree3, Dec 17, 2016
  9. Phone Man Win User
    Does not matter what they were upgraded from so you are good to go.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10? - Similar Threads - single ISO used

2. Use OneDrive to sync files on 2 PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use OneDrive to sync files on 2 PCs: I have 2 PCs that have many common folders and document files as well as some that are unique to each computer. I want to set up OneDrive to create one set of merged folders and files that will sync across the 2 PCs. i would obviously like to avoid duplicate files. And,...
  3. Oddly able to use a single windows10 license on 2 pcs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Oddly able to use a single windows10 license on 2 pcs: Im an alien here and newbie on this matter so i might just being ignorant but here it is: Last month, my laptop (preloaded with windows10) cant boot at all, so i decided to do a clean wipe. Before i did that, i was afraid that my license would be compromised so i pulle out...
  4. Different passwords required for 2 PCs using Office 365

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Different passwords required for 2 PCs using Office 365: I have 2 PCs running Office 365. One PC is used by the family. The other PC is for my business and private matters. How do I set up different passwords for each PC?...
  5. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?: Not at the same time, just for convenience... I am almost ready to fire up my new system build for the first time. The only things that will be transferred to the new computer from the old is the 5TB data drive and my monitor. I won't be installing the data drive (or the...
  6. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?: Not at the same time, just for convenience... I am almost ready to fire up my new system build for the first time. The only things that will be transferred to the new computer from the old is the 5TB data drive and my monitor. I won't be installing the data drive (or the...
  7. Usings Win10 and MS on 3 different personal PCS same time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usings Win10 and MS on 3 different personal PCS same time: Hi....I am in Costa Rica but coming back for a bit where all of my problems will go away I bet. 3 computers....new Surface Pro, Dell Latptop - Inspirion 14 via mexico! - a Samsung Galaxy 9S and local LG 8 phone. They are not syncing across device and defiinately NOT ACROSS...
  8. Using the same Microsoft account on 2 PCs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using the same Microsoft account on 2 PCs: I would just like to know if I can use the same Microsoft account on 2 PCs, since I intend to purchase a more powerful one and I don’t think I can sell my old PC, so that I intend to just leave my account logged on into it and refer to the files and other apps every so...
  9. ISO of Single Language

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ISO of Single Language: Hello everyone. I just registered. I have Windows 10 Home Single Language version 1703. I tried to download the 1709 ISO for my version from the MS site: Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) First it asks to select the version, in which the only option is...
  10. Can the Win10 1607 ISO from MS be used for restoring?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can the Win10 1607 ISO from MS be used for restoring?: My PC came with Windows 10 pre-installed (before the 1511 update). It's now up to date with the recent 1607 upgrade and the cumulative patch that followed it. Some problems have developed on my system and I might want to try to restore Windows if other troubleshooting...