Windows 10: Can a single user have multiple, visually-distinct "desktop" layouts?

Discus and support Can a single user have multiple, visually-distinct "desktop" layouts? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I would like to set up different visual environments for different types of work/play on my PC, for example: "Studio" desktop -- wallpaper of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EmeraldEnclaveRanger, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Can a single user have multiple, visually-distinct "desktop" layouts?

I would like to set up different visual environments for different types of work/play on my PC, for example:

"Studio" desktop -- wallpaper of my favorite recording studio. Shortcuts on the desktop/taskbar icons for Cubase, Sibelius, etc. (music production software), everything else hidden.

"Office" desktop -- plain boring wallpaper. Shortcuts/taskbar icons for Chrome, Gmail, OpenOffice, etc.

"Gaming" desktop -- fantasy-art wallpaper. Shortcuts/taskbar icons for Guild Wars 2, Steam, Discord, etc.

I'd hoped the "Virtual Desktops" feature could accomplish this, but apparently not...? Any changes I make to the wallpaper/background, or to the taskbar, or to the contents of This PC > Desktop, is applied across all "virtual desktops." (In what sense are they "desktops," then...?)

I want to avoid creating different user accounts, if possible. (To minimize maintenance, and avoid the login screen on what is otherwise a single-user PC.)

What's the best way to approach this?

submitted by /u/EmeraldEnclaveRanger
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EmeraldEnclaveRanger, Aug 10, 2020
  2. nt62 Win User

Multiple Desktops

Hello Willum08.

If you have 2 monitors, they can be set to display as extended, and your preferred can be sorted that way

what was suggested can do this (fences) separated by extended displays
    ... unclear ... 2 monitors - or 1 monitor with multiple desktops -

very easy - just add another user -

If your point was to have 1 user only and multiple desktops -

fences is a good desktop icon sort tool that can hide groups - can create multiple fences that can be ghosted
    tiles is a little dated and complex but can do much (see pm - message inbox)

depends on what you seek - unclear -
    - multi monitors or 1 - extended or single display - multiple users for distinct independence

best wishes
    good luck

3. Ruz San Win User
    Copy pinned start menu apps from one user to another user, Windows 10

Hi Richard,

Doing this may require more advanced steps than simply copying a file from the AppData folder. Kindly answer these questions so we can assist you better:

• Will you be doing this for different users on the same computer, or for different computers in a domain?
    • Did you find a suggestion worth trying? How did it go?

You can follow these steps if you will be applying the changes to multiple user accounts on a single computer:

• Customize the Start menu for one user account on the computer.
    • Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you are prompted for access.
    • Copy and paste this command in the window: powershell export-startlayout –path
      %UserProfile%\Desktop\Default_Start_Screen_Layout.xml -as xml
    • Press Enter.
    • You will find a file on the desktop named Default_Start_Screen_Layout.xml (you can rename it or move it to another location).
    • Click on Start.
    • Type Edit group policy then press
      Enter
    • Open all the user accounts you want the changes to be applied to.
    • Expand Start Menu and Taskbar and double-click on
      Start Screen Layout.
    • Select Enabled.
    • Type the full path of the .xml file you created in the
      Start Layout File field.
    • Click Apply then OK.
    Let us know how the steps above work out for you.

Regards.

Ruz San, Aug 10, 2020
  4. Can a single user have multiple, visually-distinct "desktop" layouts?

Remote Desktop: Single point of entry for multiple workstations?

I have a lab of 30+ Windows 10 desktops and have made them available for my users to RDP into them. I only allow one RDP connection per desktop. I've managed to present a list of the computers that are not in use, and user can pick a name from the list
    to type into their RD connection settings. Is there some way to create a single point of entry for these systems so that users can be connected to an open desktop automatically?

For example, if I have a Windows 2019 server with Remote Desktop Services, I would like my users to connect to this one server and have it automatically create the RDP session to one of those available desktops. Is this something that Connection Broker
    can do?

Thanks.

Luis Young, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

Can a single user have multiple, visually-distinct "desktop" layouts?

1. Can a single user have multiple, visually-distinct "desktop" layouts? - Similar Threads - single user multiple

2. Can my desktop have multiple pages ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can my desktop have multiple pages ?: Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.2788 First, everything works perfectly. No issues. I LIKE how the desktop works in that it allows me to move around my icons and place them where I want. Here's my motivation. I have way too many things on my desktop. I was...
  3. Single Windows 11 account with multiple users and MFA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Single Windows 11 account with multiple users and MFA: My colleague and I have set up a Windows 11 machine for purposes of software testing. To enable full control over the computer configuration, it is set up locally, i.e. kept outside the company domain with a single local password-protected account. We and other colleagues...
  4. Single Windows 11 account with multiple users and MFA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Single Windows 11 account with multiple users and MFA: My colleague and I have set up a Windows 11 machine for purposes of software testing. To enable full control over the computer configuration, it is set up locally, i.e. kept outside the company domain with a single local password-protected account. We and other colleagues...
  5. Can I have multiple clocks on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I have multiple clocks on my desktop?: Is there a way to have multiple clocks so when I click desktop I can easily see them as my desktop background? submitted by /u/singlespeedman [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ib7j66/can_i_have_multiple_clocks_on_my_desktop/
  6. Multiple Users One Desktop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Multiple Users One Desktop?: Hello, can I share my desktop with several users at the same time? and have 2 or 3 friends or even more operate a PC or VM for me? If so, how and what tools are needed to make it reasonably safe ;) Mehrere Benutzer Ein Desktop?
  7. Remote Desktop - Multiple Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop - Multiple Users: I have set up my primary PC in my basement and am using a laptop to remote into it in my office. I have remote desktop set up so that I as the primary user (admin) can log in, but I would like to set up additional profiles so that my kids can log in using their profiles on...
  8. Windows keyboard layouts on multiple user accounts issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows keyboard layouts on multiple user accounts issue: On my laptop, I have two user accounts. The Turkish language pack is installed on the second account. The Arabic and English packs are installed on both accounts. My problem is: On the first account, the Turkish keyboard layout is shown in the language bar in task bar, but...
  9. Can I separate -each- users folder on distinct drives ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can I separate -each- users folder on distinct drives ?: Hi, What I'm looking for is not to simply change the whole userdata to another drive, but to create separate drives for each users, and have their application data, my doc, etc folders on their own drives. Sadly, from looking at environment variables though I think...
  10. Saving Multiple Desktop Layouts

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving Multiple Desktop Layouts: I've created 5 "Desktop" screens setup for use between 3 monitors. For example: I have Chrome open in "Desktop 1" on Monitor 1. I have Microsoft Edge & Photoshop open on Monitor 2 on "Desktop 1". And lastly, on "Desktop 1" I have my Gmail inbox open on Monitor 3. Now...