Windows 10: Can a stolen laptop in a foreign country be locked or wiped?

Discus and support Can a stolen laptop in a foreign country be locked or wiped? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My laptop was stolen. I kept in on my account using the find my device feature periodically to see if I could "find" it. Someone turned it on but it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by oggogg, Mar 20, 2019.

1. oggogg Win User

Can a stolen laptop in a foreign country be locked or wiped?

My laptop was stolen. I kept in on my account using the find my device feature periodically to see if I could "find" it. Someone turned it on but it turned up in Vietnam and yes I changed my Microsoft account password but my pin to login the laptop probably won't keep them out. I just wondered if it is possible to lock or better yet wipe the laptop remotely? I saw a thread on this but it didn't provide any answers. It is offline again so not sure I can do anything but thought I would ask. Of course by now whoever has it in Vietnam may have wiped it or accessed the data on it. Thanks.

:)

oggogg, Mar 20, 2019

2. Emergency! Stolen Windows 10 laptop...can I remotely lock/wipe?

My brothers 10 year old laptop had Windows 10 installed. Was stolen last night. Can I remotely lock and/or wipe in case the thieves connect to the internet. The Laptop is not locked and is auto sign-in.

thanks!

smoothdogfish, Mar 20, 2019
  3. AlanJay00 Win User
    Security: Can you remotely wipe your info if laptop is stolen?

Hello,

In my laptop gets stolen, is there any way that I can remotely wipe my data? Do a factory reset?

If not, is there any app or software that I can download that would allow me to do that?

For example, if my phone (android) gets stolen, I can use WebRoot or LookOut to lock my phone or do a factory reset. Is there a similar action or app in windows?

If not, what should I do if my laptop is stolen?

I use windows 10.

Thank you!

Alan

AlanJay00, Mar 20, 2019
  4. Can a stolen laptop in a foreign country be locked or wiped?

Foreign Disk

Hi,

You will only lose the data in the Foreign Disk once you convert it to a "Basic Disk" in Disk Management.

To allow the disk to be recognized, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key and type "Disk Management" and click on it.
    • Right-click on the foreign disk and select "Import Foreign Disks..."

Feel free to post back with more information.

Israel Arn, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

Can a stolen laptop in a foreign country be locked or wiped?

1. Can a stolen laptop in a foreign country be locked or wiped? - Similar Threads - stolen laptop foreign

2. How can I limit my foreign news by continent and or country?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I limit my foreign news by continent and or country?: Trying to view foreign news here is hit or miss. I want to align my foreign news to those two regions: Sahel Africa and Eastern Europe EU side, When clicking on foreign, I see much repeat of US news which is not pertinent. I can always go to France 24, local news on facebook...
  3. How can I limit my foreign news by continent and or country?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I limit my foreign news by continent and or country?: Trying to view foreign news here is hit or miss. I want to align my foreign news to those two regions: Sahel Africa and Eastern Europe EU side, When clicking on foreign, I see much repeat of US news which is not pertinent. I can always go to France 24, local news on facebook...
  4. Not possible to lock stolen laptop?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not possible to lock stolen laptop?: Hey guys! My laptop was stolen the day before yesterday and i'm trying everything to get it back. At first I could not find its location from the "find my devices" screen. It said that the laptop had 0% battery, so i thought the thief just hadnt turned it on yet. Then i...
  5. Locked Stolen laptop

Locked Stolen laptop: So my laptop was recently stolen and I used the Microsoft find my device being my location services were turned on. On the 12/04/20 it shows that my laptop was successfully locked. So is that meaning that down in the firmware it has been locked? or is it just basic in the...
  6. Wants to lock my stolen laptop.

Wants to lock my stolen laptop.: My laptop has been stolen. I am trying to lock it but it ahow the that microsoft will let you know when they lock it. Its being two days its still not locked. And they show no location on map bcz its disabled. Wht should i do now???...
  7. Can I lock my stolen laptop !

Can I lock my stolen laptop !: Is it possible to lock my stolen Laptop I've tried to on my account devices but doesn't seem to work ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-lock-my-stolen-laptop/09a29f9e-44b5-4136-bdee-03c3d199b5b6"
  8. sign in shows foreign country

sign in shows foreign country: attempt to contact ms support thru chat direct OR thru browser. In both instances and with multiple different browsers I get the same message - "Sorry my bot code is having an issue". So, I can not get an answer from Microsoft. I do not feel that I should pay for an answer....
  9. Wipe data from stolen laptop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wipe data from stolen laptop?: Can anyone please help me.. How to wipe data from stolen laptop?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wipe-data-from-stolen-laptop/c7a07385-a330-4557-86f4-0bfb32d6a4ec"
  10. Automatic Sync Successful from Foreign Country

Automatic Sync Successful from Foreign Country: I'm worried about my account security and I would like to know if it's possible to protect my account better, or should I start a new account? What is the best solution to this problem?...