Windows 10: Can a System Image Backup be used in a different version of Windows 11 on the same device?

Discus and support Can a System Image Backup be used in a different version of Windows 11 on the same device? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I am currently using a Windows 11 Preview version from the Windows Insider program. Since I am in the Dev channel, I can't leave without losing my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kenneth De Luna, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Can a System Image Backup be used in a different version of Windows 11 on the same device?

Hi, I am currently using a Windows 11 Preview version from the Windows Insider program. Since I am in the Dev channel, I can't leave without losing my data. I've created a Windows 11 installation tool and backed up my data using "Backup and Restore Windows 7" option in the Control Panel. But I'm wondering if my data would be transferred on another version of Windows 11 from a Windows Insider version of it and if there are any another way to backup my data before a clean installation. Thank you

:)

Kenneth De Luna, Oct 6, 2021
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Oct 6, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Can a System Image Backup be used in a different version of Windows 11 on the same device? [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Oct 6, 2021
  4. Can a System Image Backup be used in a different version of Windows 11 on the same device?

Backup using file history

Thanks Robeline

I was going by other advice and articles that suggest that backing up under Update and security/backup is now the way to go. I will try your suggestion.

Doug

DougWalsh1, Oct 6, 2021
Thema:

Can a System Image Backup be used in a different version of Windows 11 on the same device?

1. Can a System Image Backup be used in a different version of Windows 11 on the same device? - Similar Threads - System Image Backup

2. Regarding locking of devices using same child accounts on different versions of Windows

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Regarding locking of devices using same child accounts on different versions of Windows: I use two Windows devices. Desktop running Windows 11 and Laptop running windows 10 unable to upgrade to 11 due to processor limitations. I have the same parent and child account on both devices. And the Microsoft Family settings I have configured seem to reflect on both...
  3. Regarding locking of devices using same child accounts on different versions of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regarding locking of devices using same child accounts on different versions of Windows: I use two Windows devices. Desktop running Windows 11 and Laptop running windows 10 unable to upgrade to 11 due to processor limitations. I have the same parent and child account on both devices. And the Microsoft Family settings I have configured seem to reflect on both...
  4. Regarding locking of devices using same child accounts on different versions of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  6. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?: I have this particular problem trying to clone/move my Windows to another, bigger hard drive.The problem is that when trying to restore saved image backup to the new drive there is such message:Interestingly, if I first install new Windows on that drive, then create image and...
  7. Can Windows system image backup be used to clone the disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Different backup on the same drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Different backup on the same drive: Hi. Recently I bought a new computer, and I want to have on it a clean install instead of just cloning my old disk. So, in order to keep backups of both my old and my new computer, I bought an external hard drive. So I want to ask, is it possible using the default “backup...
  9. System Image Backup and Repair Disc on same drive

System Image Backup and Repair Disc on same drive: Dear Sirs- I am running Windows 10 Home Edition on an Acer E5 laptop. I just created a System Image Backup on an external hard drive (Seagate Slim 2 GB). I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help! Upon successful completion of the image backup, I...
  10. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...