Windows 10: Can a .vmdk file give you a virus

Discus and support Can a .vmdk file give you a virus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am looking to make a youtube video on how to install macos x on a virtual machine. I have a download link but before i download anything I would like... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MilesEvans1, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Can a .vmdk file give you a virus

I am looking to make a youtube video on how to install macos x on a virtual machine. I have a download link but before i download anything I would like to know if a .vmdk file could give my actual pc a virus or just in the virtual machine. Can it give me a virus

:)

MilesEvans1, Nov 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 crashes when copying large .vmdk files

When Windows 10 crashed I was attempting to copy a folder that contained the .vmdk files into another empty folder that resides on the D drive root (not the boot drive). After first posting I was successful in copying the folder containing the vmdk files
    directly onto the D drive. Maybe it has something to do with the path length but I have hundreds of files that are many layers deep than this folder. Hopefully this info will help to diagnose the problem.

OscarRoark, Nov 21, 2020
  3. Marinaio Win User
    Why is this vmdk image corrupted? VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER

What Happened

• Two Virtualbox VMs were running normally. I shut VMs down then shutdown Win10.
    • I bought a stand-alone cloning device and did an offline bit-for-bit clone of old HDD to Samsung SSD.
    • I installed the new drive and rebooted from the Samsung SSD. Every application and file works as it did before, however, when I open my VMs I get the this new error.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine
    Could not open the medium c:\users\snapshots/{a557a07bc-e6ae-4520-b361-4a84137}.vmdk
    VMDK: descriptor does not start as expected in c:\users\snapshots/{a557a07bc-e6ae-4520-b361-4a84137}.vmdk
    {VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER}
    E_FAIL (0x800040005)

What I have done so far

I found links to this error suggesting to
    Download the VDD kit from VMWare

Question

This doesn't make sense. Internet searches suggest using a recovery tool.
    What I want to know is why this is the only file corrupted if I did a bit-for-bit clone? Why do I need these VMware tools for what appears to be just a snapshot?

thanks

Marinaio, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Nobody99 Win User

Can a .vmdk file give you a virus

VMware Workstation: .VMDK file is 49.1 GB big on host while only 21.3 GB is used

I installed Windows 7 Vanilla recently in a VM because I decided that it will be easier to do installations by copying the partition with updated Windows 7 to another HDD because the .iso image is outdated. I installed Windows 7 SP1, updated it, cleaned the unnecessary files and then I noticed the size of the .vmdk file is 49.1 GB on host while the guest OS only occupies 21.3 GB, I even mapped this virtual drive and it shows the same data. I am using dynamical allocation and the max capacity of the virtual drive could be 1 TB.

I don't know why is the .vmdk file more than twice as big for no reason and would really like to find out why.

Can a .vmdk file give you a virus untitled.png

Nobody99, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Can a .vmdk file give you a virus

1. Can a .vmdk file give you a virus - Similar Threads - vmdk file virus

2. Windows Defender say my own .vmdk file is a virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender say my own .vmdk file is a virus: My self-created .vmdk file from VMWare was classified as dangerous by Windows Defender today."This program is dangerous. It records user passwords""Password stealing program"And now Windows has delete my vmdk File and my VM Disk is deletet.Thanks Microsoft you are so...
  3. Windows Defender say my own .vmdk file is a virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender say my own .vmdk file is a virus: My self-created .vmdk file from VMWare was classified as dangerous by Windows Defender today."This program is dangerous. It records user passwords""Password stealing program"And now Windows has delete my vmdk File and my VM Disk is deletet.Thanks Microsoft you are so...
  4. Windows Defender say my own .vmdk file is a virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows 11 , mount .vmdk with File explore

Windows 11 , mount .vmdk with File explore: Hello everyone I have installed windows 11 enterprise version on my workstation, and I have noticed that the option to mount .vmdk files with file explorer is missing from the right-click options.Does anyone know if there is an update from Microsoft about this? Has this...
  6. convert a VMDK into a VHD ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    convert a VMDK into a VHD ?: Is there any manual way to convert a VMDK to a VHD ?I have tried all the tools Starwind, Winimage, disk2vhd etc they all generate a VHD file but when I create a ne Virtual Computer & attach the disk none works.I get repeated errors "The virtual machine "New Virtual Machine"...
  7. Can someone please help me with a vmware file with .vmdk extension ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can someone please help me with a vmware file with .vmdk extension ?: I have a big file in my pc , almost 220gb .vmdk file . That is supposed to have the Windows 2003 operating system and SAP accounting software in it . But i don't know how to install that Windows 2003 and SAP accounting software from that .vmdk file . Can someone please help ?...
  8. fake websites that give you a virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    fake websites that give you a virus: ya know that virus's are bad for ya computer right??? [ATTACH]so make sure realtime security is on hackers may take away ya antiVirus but windows 10.1 coming soon microsoft will make Better security : not like dead security like this *_*...
  9. Can Roblox give you a virus?

Can Roblox give you a virus?: can Roblox give you a virus because that is one of my favorite games to play on pc and I want to play it and I want to know if it gives me a virus when i play it because my dad said i can't play any games on the computer so can i get help please so i can prove to my parents...
  10. can World of tanks give me a virus?

can World of tanks give me a virus?: can World of tanks give me a virus on my windows 10 because it was already on my computer and i want to play it and i dont know if it can give a virus * Original title; Viruses...