Windows 10: Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?

Discus and support Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had posted a few months ago about unexplained blue screens on an ASUS laptop of my wife's. The problem was seemingly solved with a new SSD, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by asus2016, Feb 9, 2020.

1. asus2016 Win User

Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?

I had posted a few months ago about unexplained blue screens on an ASUS laptop of my wife's.

The problem was seemingly solved with a new SSD, then when the blue screens persisted, a clean install of Windows on that drive.

But after two months, the blue screens returned, and the shop discovered it was the controller on the motherboard, and recommended that getting a new computer would make more sense - the ASUS was four years old and had had other problems.

I'd like to have the shop simply swap in the "old" (two months old) drive from the ASUS into the Lenovo they ordered for us. 5% because it's a new drive, and 95% so I don't have to, for the second time in two months, install and configure the software on the machine.

The shop is saying that they'll "try" this, but that a clean install of Windows might be necessary anyway. Which of course would negate the primary reason for moving the drive, to save me from reinstalling and configuring.

What are some guidelines and considerations if one is asking what I'm asking? I realize that there will be different hardware on the new laptop, but I'm very much hoping that a drive swap (or clone the old drive to the new computer), and maybe some different drivers, will fix this.

:)

asus2016, Feb 9, 2020
  2. lacrumb Win User

hard drive swap

If the new computer has the same version, Home or Pro, installed and activated you have no problems.

We had a power serge and my wife's computer was fried. It did not get the hard drive and I had an exact model that was activated and I swapped her hard drive into it and she was up and running with no problems.

lacrumb, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Tim B285 Win User
    Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?

Swapping hard drives between two computers

Hi ugli,

You may swap hard drives with Windows if bot licenses were bought separately from computer. Likely you'll need to make phone activation after swap.

Preinstalled Windows are tied to computer so if at least one Windows is preinstalled (OEM) you need to swap just hard drives not Windows copies to be fully legal . So make a backup copy on each computer and restore them after disk swapping.

Igor Leyko, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?

1. Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer? - Similar Threads - Win10 hard drive

2. Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems reinstalling Win10 after a hard drive swap...: I have an older laptop that I use on my workbench at work... A Gateway MA7/MT6840.An old family friend bought it new, it was shipped with Vista Home Premium. I was her computer fixer for over 12 years. When the original hard drive died I installed a new one and she purchased...
  3. Hard Drive Swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Swap: I have a computer running Win 10. I purchased the Win 10 and had it installed by a local shop, Tech Junkies of Hays Kansas. The computer is rather old, only has 8 gig of RAM, and the processor is very slow. I'd like to buy a new computer and use the hard drive from my old...
  4. Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a Win10 hard drive just be swapped into a new computer?: I had posted a few months ago about unexplained blue screens on an ASUS laptop of my wife's. The problem was seemingly solved with a new SSD, then when the blue screens persisted, a clean install of Windows on that drive. But after two months, the blue screens returned, and...
  5. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  6. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  7. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  9. Swapping HDD with Win10 to a new computer

Swapping HDD with Win10 to a new computer: My situation is this: My samsung laptop died on me before I could back much of my HDD up. I have the opportunity to buy a nearly identical Samsung from Ebay that does not have an HDD for equal or less than the cost of fixing my current laptop (Ac plug shorted) My...
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...