Windows 10: Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers

Discus and support Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a small office network with 4 work stations. One of them (we'll call it #2) has 2 printers connected to it that are used by the other Work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JMartz65, Oct 17, 2018.

1. JMartz65 Win User

Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers

I have a small office network with 4 work stations. One of them (we'll call it #2) has 2 printers connected to it that are used by the other Work stations. I can access shared Files and Folders on #2 from #1 just like normal. But the Printers have all the sudden become inaccessible and show a Access Denied error when I try to open their queue on #1. From Computer #3 I also can't connect to those Printers to install them. They show up as being connected to #2 but I can't do anything else with them.

I can share files just fine between these computers, the network is Private, Network discovery is on and all sharing functions are turn on. also Password protected sharing is turned off in the All Networks section of the sharing options.

Any Ideas?

:)

JMartz65, Oct 17, 2018
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Oct 17, 2018
  3. File and Printer Sharing Between Vista and Windows 10

Hi,

To share a folder in Windows Vista, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Ensure that file sharing is enabled as described in the Enabling File and Printer Sharing Options section of this article.
    • Click Start, and then click Computer.
    • In the Computer window, navigate to the folder containing the folder that you want to share.
    • Right-click the folder that you want to share, and then click Share. The
      File Sharing window is displayed.
    • If you have password protected sharing enabled, use the File Sharing window to select which users can access the shared folder and their permission level. To allow all users, select
      Everyone in the list of users. By default, the permission level for a selected user is Reader. Users cannot change files or create new files in the share. To allow a user to change files or folders or create new files or folders, select Co-owner
      as the permission level. Figure 5 shows an example of configuring users and permission levels in the
      File Sharing window.

If you have password protected sharing disabled, use the File Sharing window to select the Guest or Everyone account. This is equivalent to simple file sharing in Windows XP.
    • When complete, click Share, and then click Done.

Hope the above information helps.

Acelyn Alc, Oct 17, 2018
  4. Arul_D Win User

Printer Sharing

Hi Bransby,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps

Computer you are sharing from

1. Type "Device and Printers" in the web and windows box

2. Find your printer

3. Right click on the printer

4. Select “Printer properties"

5. Click on the sharing tab

6. Check "sharing this printer"

7. Give the printer a Name

8. Click apply

Computer you are trying to share to:

1. Type "Device and Printers" in the web and windows box

2. Check for printer the devices and printers.

3. if it is not there click "add printer"

4. If the printer does not show up click “The printer that i wanted wasn't list"

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Can access Shared Files but not Shared Printers - Similar Threads - access Shared Files

2. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  3. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  4. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  6. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access shared printer: When i am trying to connect with shared printer keeps getting User ID and password prompt to get connect. I have turned off network discovery password protection. Tried to the partner host administrator password but no luck,...
  7. Unable to access shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How I can access shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How I can access shared printer: I have already setup and shared printer in network with other device and system but I don't know how to access and install printer on other device please help...
  9. File and Printer Sharing

File and Printer Sharing: I've just down a clean install of the latest version of windows 10 v1909, I cannot turn on File and Printer sharing on a private network. I use a NAS and I cannot see it in my network. Any thoughts would be appreciated....
  10. Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing

Can ping but can't access printer or file sharing: I'm using Windows 10 pro with the last update on 2 PC at the same network. 1 PC have LaserJet printer and the other one is dot matrix printer. I already install each driver and set for sharing option. - First test, tried to connect from PC 2 with dot matrix printer to...